FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Terror Tube -> Grave Misconduct- written by Ultimo Franco & Messiahman
Ultimo Franco
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:11 pm  Reply with quote

The next mini-series we write, I'm keeping my collar up the whole time.
Ultimo Franco
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:13 pm  Reply with quote

Azathoth wrote:
When will this be airing?

No idea. But when we know we'll post it.
Sirand
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:14 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Ultimo Franco wrote:

I know what it is!

My silence has a price... Hey hey hey!
Messiahman
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:58 pm  Reply with quote

Ultimo Franco wrote:

You fucking hack! That's plagiarism! How dare you?!?!?!! And the fact that you have to pitch on assignment scripts just like 98% of all working writers in Hollywood clearly means you SUCK!

Stop being derviat...deriviat...deirviat...just stop, already!

Soon to be edited many times by Messiahman on Sat Feb 16, 2008; expect it to be edited at least 81 times in total
Messiahman
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:34 am  Reply with quote

Outlaw Torn wrote:
I really don't get it. Why does the majority here hate anything new that is derviative of older material, or just plain ass.....then turn around and say this looks "okay"? Is because the two writers post here and you want to be nice for the sake of the community? Or because it's coming on TV, so it being sucky is somewhat excusable for the medium?

ĉi tiu reale ĝeni vi! Very Happy

Vi estas a ĵaluza malgrandega simio fiki -- vi vivi en a postveturilo kun via patrino, vi dika, analfabeto viraĉo!

Holy shit that's funny!
PapaLazarou
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:08 pm  Reply with quote

Guys, I've caught up with the threads for this film, as well as the ones for Shark Swarm and Death Match, and now that I've seen the trailer for Grave Misconduct, I just have to say something.

That is: You guys are fucking awesome. To give you some background, I'm basically a rabid fan of horror films who has been passively reading horror message boards for at least 10 years now, and even though time constraints meant that I never really posted or interacted much with people on the different boards, I always remembered the standouts. And Messiahman and Ultimo Franco are perfect examples of posters that I remember from other "Forums That Shall Not Be Named", mostly because those two guys were relevant, articulate, witty, and always displayed encyclopedic knowledge of the genre. For example, one of my favorite subgenres is Eurohoror, and I've learned so much about it from UF's posts that it's not even funny (which reminds me: Argento has Alan Jones, Bava has Tim Lucas, and Fulci has Steven Thrower. So when are you going to do a Jess Franco book? The world needs a go-to Franco expert, and I for one would totally buy your book).

I can't wait to see Shark Swarm or Death Match (by the way, exactly who is that big bad guy you keep teasing us with? I get the feeling from what you've said it's not the fearsome Michael Bailey Smith. Whoever he is, from the information I've read so far I feel confident that he's going to go down in history as one of the great Big Bads, and take his place alongside Tong Po and Bolo Yeung.) but of all your projects, the one I'm most looking forward to is Grave Misconduct. And not just because of you guys, I mean, Mastroianni ain't exactly chopped liver in my book; you're talking to a big fan of The Killing Hour here.

So, are there going to be any Peter Neal or Sherlock Holmes quotes in the finished product? Or is that one of those impossible things that we must eliminate? Wink

And Dorian Harewood- man , talk about a classic "that guy"! Always liked him. I bet he has some Hollywood stories.

Oh, and let me tell you a few more things I love about you guys:

I love that you seem to know exactly what kind of films you want to make right now, and that you've made your mind up to pay respects to all the important film food groups, i.e. killer shark movies, giallo thrillers, and underground fighting movies. All of which I love dearly. It's going to be really exciting to learn what else you guys have up your sleeve in the future.

I love that you're clearly not going into making genre films for the quick easily marketable bucks, nor do you see genre films as a foot in the door to making "respectable" films later on down the line. You have the passion, the inspiration, and you know your stuff inside and out. We all need people like you making horror.

You're actually getting off your asses and doing something about your love of film, and I'm insanely jealous. Just so you know, I plan on living vicariously through you both for many years to come.

That damn trailer gave me chills, man. Tenebrae homage in a Lifetime movie, that's so awesome! Surely there's some kind of twisted subversive thrill in doing Argento and The Prowler references in a seemingly innocuous Lifetime movie? I'm not going to lie, if I'm surfing cable channels and I happen to catch the program description for an even half-decent sounding Lifetime thriller, I will probably end up watching it, whether it's about a blind lady trapped in the house with escaped convicts, or a woman trying to escape her psychotic ex-husband, or whatever. But you guys are taking it to another level with the Argento love. So, so cool.

Anyway, enough rambling. What I'm trying to say is, I have faith that you both will knock all this stuff right out of the park. Forget any haters. You're my new personal heroes, and you get nothing but love.

So rock on, rockstars.
Ultimo Franco
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:58 am  Reply with quote

Wow.

PapaLazarou, I really don't know what to say, other than thanks for everything you wrote. It kind of comes as a shock, after the trolling we usually get. I really hope you enjoy the movies when they air. And if they suck, please tell us. There are things about each of them that are cool, and there are things about each of them that are compromised. We'll be happy to let people know why things ended up a certain way once they see the films. Any questions, we'll be happy to answer if we can. When we got the assignment for Grave, it couldn't have been more vague. We were given free reign to come up with what kind of mystery it was going to be. Because it was on Lifetime, certain things were out, of course. But the subgenre was never specified, so Messiah and I decided to go with a giallo structure. It's one of our favorites, so we couldn't pass up the chance to try it.

Quick change of subject.

In the Shark Swarm thread I mentioned that Salem's Lot was a big inspiration to the town we had to create. I also mentioned that The Fog was an inspiration. Some moron took that to mean we "ripped off" those films, but nothing could be further from the truth. We don't have a Marsden House in Shark Swarm. There are no sinister antique shops run by evil strangers. What inspired us was the sense of a frightened community under siege. We wanted our town to have a wide variety of characters like in the Stephen King classic. We wanted it to feel like people lived there, like they had history there, like they shared a common bond. And we wanted them to have flaws, like greed and pettiness. We didn't steal anything from Salem's Lot, we were simply inspired by it. The same is true of The Fog. Ours is a shark movie, not a ghost pirate movie. But we wanted it to have a similar sense of mystery about it, at least in the first half. We wanted to have the horror slowly dawn on the townspeople, the way it does in Carpenter's classic. Nothing stolen. No scenes borrowed. Just a sense of atmosphere. Just to clear that up.

PapaLazarou, just like you, we go way back with many folks here. We've come to know their personalities, their quirks, their sore points, their sense of humor, their beliefs, and their lies. And they've come to know ours, I hope. These boards are how Messiah and I met. We've literally networked ourselves into a career by posting and emailing with people we've met online. What I'm saying is, anyone can do it. The possibilities are wide open. The opportunities are there. Posting, and chatting, and blogging, and messaging are the same thing as handing your business card out to everyone at a party. It's a way to get connected. After that, you just have to deliver. It helps to work with a partner. It forces you to work more. You can't slack off.

I've learned so much about movies from the posters on these boards. Legba has shown me things in some of my favorite films that I never knew existed. So have many others. Even the frustrating arguments that people get into are helpful. I've had to raise my game so many times to keep up with the debates on these boards.

I hope you keep posting about all your favorite horror movies. It's always good to have more people throwing in their two cents. Keep it up!

And thanks again! Thumbs Up
Messiahman
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:48 am  Reply with quote

PapaLazarou, let me blushingly join Franco in thanking you so much for your kind words, particularly in the wake of the rather vicious trolling that's taken place on a few of these threads. Frankly, I'm blown away by your enthusiasm. GRAVE MISCONDUCT was a blast to write, and the filming was a truly surreal experience. Mastroianni was a pleasure to work with, always creative and enthusiastic -- we spent a lot of time developing the film with him, and he brought some terrific ideas to the table. Not to mention, he completely got what we were going for with the script. Working with someone so well-versed int the genre is refreshing, because he got our references and film shorthand right off the bat. When we'd mention something like "the tone of this scene is similar to THE COLLECTOR," we never had to worry whether or not he knew what we were referencing. Armand was all over it.

Dorian Harewood is a true professional, and one of the most exciting moments of my career took place outside the Roosevelt Hotel, where I chatted with him about his experiences working with Kubrick on FULL METAL JACKET. Indeed, all the actors were wonderful and very jazzed about the script. When I met Crystal Bernard, she hugged me and thanked us for the role -- a total sweetheart. And Roxanne Hart grinned sheepishly when I geeked out over her classic turn as Brenda in HIGHLANDER.

We really hope you enjoy the final product, as well as DEATH MATCH and SHARK SWARM, and like Franco said, we're always happy to answer any questions. If it weren't for this community, none of this would have happened.

So yeah, thanks again! Can't wait until you get the chance to see it!

Oh, and as for Michael Bailey Smith, nope, he's not DEATH MATCH's big bad. Although I have worked with the great MBS on another project where he IS the big bad -- a cool little short film called THIRSTY, directed by our very own Sirand. It should be making festival rounds later in the year. And Michael's just superb in it. I definitely plan to write something again for him in the future.
Sirand
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:54 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

I checked out my neighbor's On Demand service...

Lo and behold - Grave Misconduct is playing there.

Congrats, guys!
Messiahman
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:38 am  Reply with quote

Sadly, I have DIRECTV, which features no On Demand service. We still have yet to see the final, locked cut of the film. Sad
Messiahman
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:38 am  Reply with quote

Okay, I've just received about a thousand phone calls from friends, all saying "Dude, holy shit! Your movie just showed up On Demand!"

So if you have Time Warner or Comcast or any cable subsidiary with the On Demand service, GRAVE MISCONDUCT can be found in the "World Premieres" section.

Hope you like it!
PapaLazarou
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:39 pm  Reply with quote

I loved it. Came home late last night, read the thread, ordered it from On Demand (not sure how it works, but I hope you guys get a cut from each sale?), and stayed up into the wee hours to watch it. So my cable proved useful for once!

SPOILERS...

The opening credits got me. Just a nice, classy job. And then of course: The killer. The gloves. The gas mask! The close up of words on the page of mystery novel being read! Totally geeked out over that stuff, I'm such a mark. As for the rest of the film, it's definitely got that authentic giallo atmosphere down pat, confidently hitting the right beats in terms of setting up potential suspects, with a nice fast pace and red herrings aplenty. It's got a classic feel- a bunch of people, many of whom are quite unsympathetic, dwindled down, with the presence of the killer always felt in the background. Fun character names, too.

Even though I could sense the compromise that Franco mentioned in a few of the kills (inevitable, given that you're catering to the LMN demographic), you definitely got away with some good strong stuff all things considered, and it wasn't hard for my imagination to fill in some of the blanks, knowing as I do a little about the kind of films you guys are into. Best parts were that first kill (with the killer holding her down just to make sure. So slow and malicious!), the screwdriver stabbing, and my own personal favorite (and I'm sure destined to become the favorite of many viewers)- the victim wrapped in a piece of window dressing and thrown from the roof. That was perfectly realized, given the constraints. Awesome lingering shot of her on the way down. Bravo!

Performances wise, I thought Crystal Bernard was solid, bringing some sexy MILFish qualities to the classic role of giallo heroine who's in way over her head, caught up in a downward spiral of madness and murder. It's nice how Julia wasn't exactly clean of guilt herself, like the flawed character stuff Franco mentioned when talking about Shark Swarm. Fleck was good too, and of course let's not forget grounded old pro Dorian Harewood. And Spano really delivered as the nutcase ("You can't handle the pressure of a deadline, what kind of author are you?" got a hearty LOL from me. Also loved "To my friends and fans? A bit maudlin, but I like it". He really nailed those lines, didn't he? ). I liked the fact that it wasn't Julia's book or her friend's book after all, but HIS book. Whatever you do, don't hire that guy as a ghost writer. Very Happy

Like I said, loved it.
PapaLazarou
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:42 pm  Reply with quote

Questions:

So how does it feel to have something out there with your name on it?

Any air dates for your other films?

Did you come up with those book covers, and if so, was that... zombie soldiers I saw? I can't say for sure, it went by pretty quickly.
Messiahman
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:20 pm  Reply with quote

Wow, I'm so glad you enjoyed it.

Honestly, it's quite surreal to have it out there, and I'm still not used to seeing our names on anything yet. Incidentally, you are the first person to give us feedback on it, so your exceedingly positive review just makes my day.

As for the book covers, we heavily described the one for GM, and they pretty much nailed it. We came up with the titles for the books by the other authors, and the wonderful production folks designed them to match those titles. The soldiers you saw in the brief shot of Don Crown’s “The Price of All Honour” are actually statues at a military graveyard. The idea was that Don Crown is sort of a mixed parody of Tom Clancy and Mickey Spillane – the scene where he mistakes Harewood’s weapon for a different gun was our fun poke at the fact that these tough-talking authors are often complete fakers with an inflated sense of self that buy into their own concocted stories. Miranda Darkling, author of “Ten Little Witches,” is obviously a spoof of Anne Rice, and Catherine Hallow, former real-life murderess turned author, is based on Anne Perry (who was also the inspiration for HEAVENLY CREATURES).

I was onset the day the body falling from the roof was filmed – the crew shut down part of Hollywood Boulevard (right across the street from the Mann Chinese Theater) for that, and there were hundreds of tourists and gawkers whooping and cheering when that body came flying down. After that, Roxanne Hart lay on the freezing sidewalk in a pool of fake blood for the better part of two hours – she was such a trooper.

As for the acting, my favorite is probably John Fleck, who took a small role and added his own brand of sleaze to it. I love the moment that he walks into Julia’s hotel room and happily helps himself to a mint on the table. He did a lot with his small amount of screen time. Vincent Spano, what more needs to be said about him? The guy’s phenomenal (I’m a huge fan of CITY OF HOPE) and he clearly had a blast with those intense scenes. Crystal’s also quite good in a role that was originally written for a younger actress – in the early drafts, Julia was in her late-20s. Oh, and I never have enough love for Dorian; the guy’s incapable of giving a poor performance.

Again, I’m happy as hell that you liked it. Thanks so much for watching!
Messiahman
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:21 pm  Reply with quote

Oh, and SHARK SWARM will be airing on Memorial Day. Still not sure on DEATH MATCH yet.