FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Drawing Blood -> SPOOKS #1 out tomorrow! (Weds Feb. 13th)
Ryan Schifrin
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:39 pm  Reply with quote
SPOOKS Staff

Our first issue will be released tomorrow in comic book stores everywhere, hope you guys check it out!

For those of you in Los Angeles, Larry Hama is in town so we might do a signing at Golden Apple on Melrose tomorrow night, if we can arrange it last minute. Will post here once I know for sure.

-Ryan
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:10 am  Reply with quote

I gotta work, but I'm sending my baby to the comic shop 10:00am sharp. Oh yes, I am giddy.
Phil Kost
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:08 pm  Reply with quote

I got my copy today. Very nice! Unfortunately the shop only had Cover A on the stands, so they are going to order me a Cover B. (Yeah, I am one of those guys)
Ryan Schifrin
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:55 am  Reply with quote
SPOOKS Staff

Thanks Phil!

I forgot to post here about the signing at Golden Apple, but Weds ended up being really fun. The comic seemed to be selling out most places I checked, so that was good news.

Larry Hama was in Los Angeles to film a cameo in the upcoming GI JOE movie, so he finished around 7pm, and we went to Golden Apple Comics to do a SPOOKS signing.

Now, this was really special for me, because I used to walk to Golden Apple Comics when I was a kid to go buy Larry's GI JOE comics! So, to be sitting there, next to Larry, in Golden Apple, signing the comic that WE wrote together -- words can't describe the feeling.

Since we put it together at the last minute, it wasn't advertised that Larry would be there. I got a real kick out of seeing some customers just shocked to see him there. Larry doesn't do many appearances, at conventions or stores or anything, so this was a big deal to get him there.

IESB filmed an interview with us, so look for that soon. Once it's up I'll post a link here.

Anyway, I just wanted to say "Thank You" to everyone who supported us, and for all the well wishes we got. I hope you guys enjoy this story, and believe me when I say, you ain't seen nothing yet!
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:51 am  Reply with quote

Ryan Schifrin wrote:
I hope you guys enjoy this story, and believe me when I say, you ain't seen nothing yet!

Funny you should say that. After reading the 1st issue, the story was kinda "meh" for me. Of course I realize you have to introduce the characters, set the tone and lay out the plot in just a few pages. I just wanted more stuff like Frank on the ship. THAT was awesome. I got high hopes for the next one, got both covers reserved. Don't get me wrong, I really liked it. The art was very nice and the heroes were good, but the monsters were what I was really excited about. Can't wait to see where you go with the Headless Horseman angle. I'm sure when it hits it's stride it will be a great series. But only 4 issues? Weeping openly
adamarcher
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:42 pm  Reply with quote

haven't seen it in print yet myself, looking forward to it. great site ryan, love the music too. Wink
Ryan Schifrin
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:16 pm  Reply with quote
SPOOKS Staff

Welcome to the forums Adam!

Folks, that's Adam Archer, who did the amazing pencils and inks for SPOOKS!

You might also know his work from the FRIDAY THE 13th comics recently released by Wildstorm, and the HEROES graphic novel.

This first story arc for SPOOKS is indeed 4 issues. Whether it continues from there is all up to you guys -- we certainly have plans in place to continue expanding the world and characters, and I know we've all had a blast working on this and would love to do more.
So hopefully we'll have enough support from the fans to keep going!