FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Terror Tube -> DEATH MATCH, written by Messiahman & Ultimo Franco
Messiahman
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:54 am  Reply with quote

So Franco and I have another flick coming out, this time for Spike. It's a brutal underground prison fighting movie called DEATH MATCH. I mentioned it a bit on the last Dinner For Fiends, but I figured I'd go a little more in-depth for those who are interested.

Here's the official synopsis:

“The players are already condemned. The fans are hardcore. The rules are simple; you die, you lose. You live, you play again. What are you waiting for? Place your bets.

Burke Wyatt (Johnny Messner, Believers), an ex-cop drummed from the force three years earlier for a violent incident with a perpetrator, is at a crossroads. Separated from his wife Mary (Charlotte Ross, NYPD Blue) and only able to be a part-time father to his young son Tommy, Burke knows the family he loves and the life he once had seems to be slipping away. When his former partner, now an FBI agent, approaches him about going undercover as a prisoner to determine the reason behind a string of mysterious and violent prisoner deaths that are occurring at Cainesville State Prison, Burke sees the dangerous assignment as the way to redeem himself and ultimately convince Mary that their family can be reunited. After forcing a high speed pursuit that leads to his arrest, and with a falsified previous criminal record, Burke is sentenced to a term at Cainesville. True to his undercover status, no one, including Mary, can know the real reason for his incarceration. When he rebuffs Mary’s attempts to seek legal counsel on his behalf, the wedge between the two is driven in further.

On the inside, Burke soon discovers that the mysterious prisoner deaths have been caused by what the boys behind bars call “the fights.” It seems that Warden Carl Golan (Golden Globe Nominee Stacy Keach, Prison Break, ) is the mastermind behind it all. The mercurial yet outwardly charming warden has set up a chain-linked ring deep within Cainesville complete with cameras and a satellite link where for the right price viewers can tune-in to watch and wager on a new variation of ultimate fighting – a Death Match. It’s a sadistic wonderland of depraved pent-up energy where the toughest prisoners go “mano a mano,” with the victor leaving the ring and the loser exiting in a body bag. Having uncovered the true situation by becoming a fighter himself, Burke has managed to do so without yet killing an opponent. It’s time for him to leave the prison, especially as he’s scheduled to fight the Cainesville champ, a towering and brutal “lifer” known as The President. Unfortunately, Golan has become suspicious of Burke, which puts not only him, but also Mary and Tommy in mortal danger.”

We recently saw a rough cut and were extremely impressed with how it turned out. As it stands, it's certainly R-rated, as it's filled with intensely bloody fights as well as copious female nudity (tits!!!). The fights were done by the same fight choreographer from BATMAN BEGINS and THE DARK KNIGHT -- they're wincingly painful to watch. This is pure 80s-style action mayhem the way we haven't seen it in a long time. I'm sure some of it will be trimmed for broadcast, but it'll all be back on the unrated DVD.

Messner's terrific -- he's in superb shape and plays both a tough guy and a family man in equal measure. And the guy playing "the President" is a hulking badass who could easily wipe the floor with Michael Clarke Duncan. But the secret weapon here is really Stacy Keach, who has an absolute blast in the role and gives his best performance in over a decade. Wait until you see him -- he's sporting the hairlip in full effect and a dead white cataract in one eye. A fine actor and an awesome guy through and through.

Spike is in love with the film and is going to be promoting the hell out of it. It's a major jump up from anything they've produced so far. This is the quintessential "movie for guys who like movies." It'll be airing in March -- don't know the exact date yet, but I'll keep everyone posted.

We couldn't be prouder of this film.
Terminal
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:59 am  Reply with quote

Tits, you say?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Messiahman
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:01 am  Reply with quote

Terminal wrote:
Tits, you say?

Copious amounts of tits, my friend. Indeed, within the first five minutes you get both tits and hardcore carnage. When I was watching, it would've taken a jackhammer to wipe the grin off my face.
Sirand
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:41 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

I saw the film too and have to say I was really entertained! Stacy Keach chews the scenery perfectly and Messner owns the lead.

The fights are so damn bloody! There are a few great "Holy shit!" moments too during the action. I wonder how much of this movie will survive the broadcast. Hopefully they'll leave all the violence intact.

The flashy editing gets a bit much at times, but that's really my only complaint (I make my living as an editior, after all...heh).

Easily the best original thing Spike TV has done. Can't wait to see the finished version.
Johnny Truant
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:24 am  Reply with quote

Now this sounds like it might actually be worth a damn. Kudos, gentlemen.
Rorschach
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:31 am  Reply with quote

MM....Franco....I read through that synopsis and I am primed for this unrated DVD. I'll probably skip the network broadcast, since seeing things cut for TV pisses me off.

I have to say, this is kind of reminiscent of BLOODSPORT, and those other early Van Damme martial arts extravaganzas.

Hell, a guy could own this movie, and RAMBO on DVD and played back to back it would be the manliest viewing experience ever.

I daresay it would physically raise your testosterone levels.
Sirand
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:42 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Imagine an 80's Van Damme flick with much better acting and dialogue. That's basically what this movie is.
FilmCritic3000
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:45 am  Reply with quote

[affects Cockney accent]

Please, sir...can I have a trailer?

Last edited by FilmCritic3000 on Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:49 am; edited 2 times in total
Messiahman
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:48 am  Reply with quote

Rorschach wrote:
MM....Franco....I read through that synopsis and I am primed for this unrated DVD. I'll probably skip the network broadcast, since seeing things cut for TV pisses me off.

I have to say, this is kind of reminiscent of BLOODSPORT, and those other early Van Damme martial arts extravaganzas.

Hell, a guy could own this movie, and RAMBO on DVD and played back to back it would be the manliest viewing experience ever.

I daresay it would physically raise your testosterone levels.

Dude, this is what you've been waiting for. I grew up on those films, but DEATH MATCH eats BLOODSPORT for breakfast and then comes back for seconds. And did you notice the name of the warden? Anyone familiar with the output of 80s legends Cannon Films will know the name "Golan" very well. This is a Cannon Film's wet dream.

And now, a few qualifying questions:

Do you ever find yourself watching a bloody UFC fight and thinking it's too tame?

Have you ever wanted to see Stacy Keach beat the shit out of someone with a baseball bat?

Have you ever wondered what it would look like if you wrapped a strand of barbed wire around your fist and belted someone in the face?

Ever been curious as to what would really happen if a 180-pound guy got his head stepped on by a 300-pound guy?

Do you appreciate hot naked chicks?

Did you think HBO's "OZ" needed a lot more brutal fight scenes?

If you answered "yes" to any of these questions, this film will be your new best friend.

Last edited by Messiahman on Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Rorschach
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:49 am  Reply with quote

FilmCritic3000 wrote:
[affects Cockney accent]

Please, sir...can I have a trailer?

Alms...err...trailahs for the pooah?

Trailahs for the pooah, kind sah?

Laughing

EDIT: Holy....Golan Globus? Is that the in joke? No way....AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Foy is gonna LOVE that!

And might I ask: Is it a TNA wrestler that plays The President? I don't know of many 300 pound actors OUTSIDE of maybe John Goodman and Michael Clarke Duncan. Ving Rhames, maybe. Which is why I'm curious as to whether you guys got a wrestler for the part.
Ultimo Franco
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:20 am  Reply with quote

I can't describe what a treat it is to hear Stacy Fucking Keach nailing every line we gave him. The guy is awesome. He brought so much to the character, investing him with all kinds of strange quirks and habits. He really fleshed the role out and added a ton of energy to the part. He fucking rocks. In fact, everyone is really good in this movie. Messner just plain kicks ass. I really hope we get to write something for him again in the future. He shows a lot of range here and I'm thrilled we got him. I can't picture anyone else pulling it off better. This movie was a chance to revel in those great action movies from the 80s. It's written in the spirit of American Ninja, Missing in Action, Bloodsport, and all the others. Fun stuff! Can't wait to do it again!
Messiahman
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:05 am  Reply with quote

Rorschach wrote:
EDIT: Holy....Golan Globus? Is that the in joke? No way....AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

You are correct, sir. Give this man a cigar!

There's one other sly nod. The name of Burke's former partner who now works with the Feds is Steve James, after the marvelous actor who played sidekick Curtis Jackson in the Golan/Globus-produced AMERICAN NINJA films.

I did, after all, see AMERICAN NINJA five times theatrically.
Terminal
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:25 am  Reply with quote

Messiahman wrote:
Terminal wrote:
Tits, you say?

Copious amounts of tits, my friend. Indeed, within the first five minutes you get both tits and hardcore carnage. When I was watching, it would've taken a jackhammer to wipe the grin off my face.

I like the cut of your jib, sir.

Just as a bid of support for the thorn on my side AND good friend, I shall watch it.

Blood you say?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Messiahman
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:47 am  Reply with quote

Terminal wrote:
Messiahman wrote:
Terminal wrote:
Tits, you say?

I like the cut of your jib, sir.

Just as a bid of support for the thorn on my side AND good friend, I shall watch it.

Blood you say?

Bunches!
Messiahman
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:02 am  Reply with quote

Rorschach wrote:
And might I ask: Is it a TNA wrestler that plays The President? I don't know of many 300 pound actors OUTSIDE of maybe John Goodman and Michael Clarke Duncan. Ving Rhames, maybe. Which is why I'm curious as to whether you guys got a wrestler for the part.

No, he's an actor, and a fantastic one at that. The President is undeniably scary as hell.