FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Drawing Blood -> Welcome to the SPOOKS forum
Ryan Schifrin
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:23 am  Reply with quote
SPOOKS Staff

Hey everyone, I just wanted to welcome you to the SPOOKS official comic book forum. If you've just stumbled in here and are wondering what the heck this is, don't worry, we're just getting everything up and running. In fact, we haven't even officially launched our website yet or sent out announcements. It's gonna be a busy week!

By way of introduction, I wrote and directed the Bigfoot horror movie ABOMINABLE. My newest project is a comic book mash up of fantasy, military and horror called SPOOKS, which is being published by Devil's Due. My favorite holiday is Halloween - I'm crazy for anything with monsters in it, so this was my chance to have an all out war with tanks blowing away armies of werewolves, helicopters engaging vampires in aerial battles, zombie bikers in high speed chases and my personal favorite: the Headless Horseman, getting to kick ass and take names.

I came up with the concept along with HITMAN producer Daniel Alter. I wrote it as a feature length movie. I then asked best selling fantasy author R.A. Salvatore to come on board to help work out the story, which was then used as a blueprint to write the comic (which I co-wrote with Larry Hama, of GI JOE and Wolverine fame). The interior pencils and inks are by Adam Archer, who did the Friday the 13th comics for Wildstorm.
The first issue comes out on Feb. 13.

The SPOOKS website will be going live within a couple days, and will be linked to this forum.

A big special thanks to Uncle Creepy and Dread Central for being gracious enough to host this forum!

If anyone has any questions, I'll do my best to answer them. The idea behind this message board was to have a place where the writers and artists could interact with the fans and discuss all sorts of fun stuff. The future of SPOOKS is up to you guys - you're the ones that can turn it into something HUGE. The fans and word of mouth will either carry us forward to victory, or bury us in a lonely grave! Either way, we want to hear from YOU.
See you in a few days!
In the meantime, you can read more about SPOOKS here:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=12684

And here on DC

http://www.dreadcentral.com/node/25607

http://www.dreadcentral.com/node/25641

Also, dig on the DC interview here:

http://www.dreadcentral.com/node/25664

Last edited by Ryan Schifrin on Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tristan Sinns
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:24 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Awesome Ryan, look forward to hearing more about it. Welcome to the forums. Very Happy
The Last Exorcism
Piranha 3D
Johnny Butane
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:24 pm  Reply with quote
Elf Fluffer

Monsters and tanks. Can't go wrong.

Monster loving here; http://www.dreadcentral.com/node/25974
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dr Malachi Constant
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:58 pm  Reply with quote
Awaiting a Nifty Title

I'm intrigued. Definitely going to keep my eye on this.

(... also, Johnny, nice av. Charlie. Heh. Just caught that.)
Darth_Cognito
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:39 pm  Reply with quote

From what I can tell, this is pretty sweet. Love the artwork, too.

Oh, and R.A. Salvatore is the MAN. Love the Forgotten Realms books.

Can't wait to get my hands on this!
Kryten Syxx
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:12 pm  Reply with quote

Glad I got a chance to cover Spooks.
scarington
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:06 am  Reply with quote

I've really been looking forward to this since I first heard it announced. I can't seem to find a release date (and are the Devil's Due message boards no more? I guess so.). Is there a release date set?

Good luck Ryan! I can't wait to read this!
Ryan Schifrin
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:32 am  Reply with quote
SPOOKS Staff

Hey scarington,

The Devil's Due message boards are no more, although I hear they may return at some point.

DD said the release date is Feb. 13th, so basically 2 weeks away! I'm very excited about how everything is turning out. Adam's artwork, and Jonny's coloring are amazing -- I consider myself blessed to have them bringing SPOOKS to life. It has honestly turned out better than I could have hoped for, when we set out to undertake this project.

And Larry Hama is a genius, as far as I'm concerned. It was quite humbling and awe inspiring to see his creative process first hand.

I hope you have as much fun reading it as I have had working on it! And thanks, we definitely will need lots of good luck!
scarington
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:57 am  Reply with quote

Dang...I hate to post twice, but wanted to say that I love the official site! The background music is pretty cool too!

By the way, pretty damn cool that Drew Struzan is doing a cover.

Paul Aponte
www.TheSiblingsScarington.com
PACMAN
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:27 am  Reply with quote

AWESOME!!!! I am totally pumped for this one!
The One and Only
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:09 am  Reply with quote

Great site. And needless to say I'm really pumped for this project. Hope it takes off sir.
Terminal
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:31 am  Reply with quote

Not to bust anyone's balls here, but I'm just curious: How does your comic stand out from similar titles like Hellboy and Doc Frankenstein?

Granted, I think your series looks like a blast, and I intend to read it, but are the similarities coincidental?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ryan Schifrin
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:05 am  Reply with quote
SPOOKS Staff

Terminal,

That's actually a great question, no offense taken.

On the surface, there are definitely similarities (secret government agencies, monsters etc). But just as Men In Black is very different from Hellboy, we're pretty much going in the other direction.
I think of this more as GI JOE vs classic monsters. I wanted to see some serious hardware -- tanks, Apache helicopters, troops in giant battles against legions of monsters.
There are so many vampire and werewolf movies, from Underworld to Van Helsing. Monster Squad also put all the Universal monsters together too. But I've never seen armies of vampires, hordes of werewolves on an epic scale. In terms of structure and tone, we're a lot closer to classic fantasy really...things like STAR WARS and LORD OF THE RINGS. If you think about it, STAR WARS is just fantasy in a sci-fi setting.
So, in this case, it's fantasy but using Halloween iconography. Instead of orcs or stormtroopers it's werewolves. Instead of an evil wizard or Emperor, it's a Witch.

But the most basic answer to your question is -- what really makes stories original are the characters and plots. What makes STAR WARS different than FLASH GORDON? Or one Western different from another?

I grew up loving monster movies, GI JOE, and reading fantasy books such as the Dark Elf series by R.A. Salvatore. So, in my mind, SPOOKS is a combination of all of those things -- something I really want to see as a fan, and had to go ahead and make myself because no one else would!
Terminal
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:31 am  Reply with quote

Ryan Schifrin wrote:
Terminal,

That's actually a great question, no offense taken.

On the surface, there are definitely similarities (secret government agencies, monsters etc). But just as Men In Black is very different from Hellboy, we're pretty much going in the other direction.
I think of this more as GI JOE vs classic monsters. I wanted to see some serious hardware -- tanks, Apache helicopters, troops in giant battles against legions of monsters.
There are so many vampire and werewolf movies, from Underworld to Van Helsing. Monster Squad also put all the Universal monsters together too. But I've never seen armies of vampires, hordes of werewolves on an epic scale. In terms of structure and tone, we're a lot closer to classic fantasy really...things like STAR WARS and LORD OF THE RINGS. If you think about it, STAR WARS is just fantasy in a sci-fi setting.
So, in this case, it's fantasy but using Halloween iconography. Instead of orcs or stormtroopers it's werewolves. Instead of an evil wizard or Emperor, it's a Witch.

But the most basic answer to your question is -- what really makes stories original are the characters and plots. What makes STAR WARS different than FLASH GORDON? Or one Western different from another?

I grew up loving monster movies, GI JOE, and reading fantasy books such as the Dark Elf series by R.A. Salvatore. So, in my mind, SPOOKS is a combination of all of those things -- something I really want to see as a fan, and had to go ahead and make myself because no one else would!

Good arguments.

I look forward to your stuff.
Phil Kost
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:19 am  Reply with quote

When DDP first announced this book I have been looking forward to it. I really hope that enough interest gets this from a mini to an ongoing series. I see so much potential for this series.