FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> Public Enemies
Terminal
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:44 pm  Reply with quote

Morgan Elektra wrote:
Johnny Depp and Christian Bale?

That's like a stroke film for straight chicks.

I'm there. With bells on.

You dont masturbate to my Jack Sparrow action figures... do you? Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Gus Bjork
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:55 pm  Reply with quote

Terminal wrote:
Morgan Elektra wrote:

"To"?

Maybe "With"?
Terminal
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:59 pm  Reply with quote

Gus Bjork wrote:
Terminal wrote:
Morgan Elektra wrote:

"To"?

Maybe "With"?

Both.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tsotha-lanti
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:00 pm  Reply with quote

Has anyone read the article that was about this in last December's issue of Empire?

Michael Mann went on about how this is going to be his magnum opus that is going to make even Heat pale in comparison. He's really going the whole hog and being really pedantic about recreating the details of the period. If he's putting as much thought into the storytelling and aesthetics then we might stand with one of the greatest movies of all time.
I've got a wheel inside my head,
The wheel of understanding!
ajburton29
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:11 pm  Reply with quote

I live in Milwaukee, and last year Depp, Mann, maybe Bale, and the whole film crew were downtown shooting at a bank vault in one of the historic buildings downtown. They had a casting call for extras, and there were lines of people for blocks in the freezing cold.
They also shot alot of film at some small town in central Wisconsin, I can't remember the name of it.
I saw Black Rain for the first time last week. It was okay. Was I supposed to laugh out loud when Andy Garcia gets his head cut off?
Tsotha-lanti
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:47 am  Reply with quote

Yeah, they're trying to shoot everything not only on location but the same exact locations as this actually happened, and they're reconstructing the towns to look exactly like they did back then. This seems to be continuing how Hollywood is going through a new auteur period like it did in the 1970s. Who knows, perhaps this movie is going to fall into the same kind of bloated excess as 1970s Hollywood epics sometimes did but I actually find that kind of movie interesting to watch too because of all the ambition on display.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:27 pm  Reply with quote

Scott has done some bad films, but he's still done some of my favourite films of different genres...Black Hawk Down is EASILY my favourite war film, and Blade Runner is sci-fi bliss...

Do I have faith in Scott the way I have faith in Mann? Probably not, but I didn't dislike any Scott film as much as I didn't like Miami Vice...

And I LOVED Matchstick Men...What's wrong with that film?
Messiahman
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:27 am  Reply with quote

1492 and G.I. JANE make MIAMI VICE look like a masterpiece.

Decision: Mann. Razz

As for MATCHSTICK MEN, while it's not the worst thing on the guy's resume, I found it trite and predictable -- I saw the ending revelation coming from ten miles away.
Tsotha-lanti
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:59 pm  Reply with quote

Ridley Scott's also much more prolific than Michael Mann, who seems to put more effort into each movie. They probably spend the same time on work, but in Mann's case it's more focused.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:03 am  Reply with quote

Messiahman wrote:
1492 and G.I. JANE make MIAMI VICE look like a masterpiece.

Scott does do work for hire and those are generally his weakest works...But Miami Vice was just a complete miscalculation from someone who should have made it a slam dunk...

Quote:
As for MATCHSTICK MEN, while it's not the worst thing on the guy's resume, I found it trite and predictable -- I saw the ending revelation coming from ten miles away.

See, I didn't because I completely wanted to believe that that was his daughter...I loved that movie.
LSD Zombie
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:19 am  Reply with quote

One thing you cannot say about Matchstick Men is that Nicholas Cage didn't do a great job with his character. And I'm speaking as someone who suffers from OCD. I'd say it was his best role so far. And that pharmacy scene had me rolling on the ground from laughter.
Messiahman
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:56 am  Reply with quote

Didn't See It Coming wrote:
Scott does do work for hire and those are generally his weakest works...

"Weak" isn't a word I'd use. I'm more partial to "godawful pieces of shit" and "two of the worst films of the nineties."

Didn't See It Coming wrote:
But Miami Vice was just a complete miscalculation from someone who should have made it a slam dunk...

The only miscalculation was in trusting the audience to be intelligent enough to let go of their memories of the silly 80s show and go along with a complexly written, multilayered, stylish crime story that relied more on intense character pieces than action sequences (although the ones that are included are superb).

MIAMI VICE is a rather good movie, though not great (three and half out of five for me) -- it's mainly hampered by the fact that Farrell underplays his role, but that worked to its advantage, as it humanized him. I would've preferred more character work overall, but the film moved along nicely, regardless, and it never once insulted the intelligence.

And there's also little doubt that it's oen of the best shot films of the last ten years. Every frame is absolutely gorgeous.

The last thing I wanted was the fucking television show. Thankfully, Mann delivered a slick, sophisticated thriller instead.

And I'll be happy to discuss how wrongheaded you are on this in person in a few weeks, sir.
Razz
Tsotha-lanti
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:03 am  Reply with quote

I quite liked Miami Vice a while ago when I saw it, and I think it perhaps helps that I haven't seen a single episode of the TV show. Is it just me or did it have a lot of subtext about how the blurring of the border between crime and legitimate business was the result of the Cold War ending? I mean, the money launderer chick Crockett had an affair with was the daughter of an Chinese ambassador to Cuba but now worked for a dude who was supported by anti-communist politicians in Colombia, there were some Russian Neo-Nazis involved in the drug running business, and so on...
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:22 pm  Reply with quote

Messiahman wrote:

The only miscalculation was in trusting the audience to be intelligent enough to let go of their memories of the silly 80s show and go along with a complexly written, multilayered, stylish crime story that relied more on intense character pieces than action sequences (although the ones that are included are superb).

Really? Considering I never watched the show...Not one full episode...So much for that theory...
Sirand
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:40 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff