FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Best-cellars -> Triage
walking-dead
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:57 pm  Reply with quote

I just read the review and could not agree more.

Leisure has been in a serious slump as of late, putting out one dull and uninspired book after another. Recent duds have been The Deluge by Morris and the latest waste of pages by Maynard and Sims. I was at the point of refusing to buy another Leisure book on principle alone.

And then came Triage.

Triage is a book written by horror writers for horror fans and it delivers. Big time. Basic premise, at least for a Laymon story, is someone walks into an office and starts shooting. Laymon originally planned for this to be a collaboration between him and Ketchum but commitments caused Lee to step in instead. When both Laymon and Lee had different visions as to how the story would go, the idea was moved to having separate stories under one cover with one central theme. Ironically, ketchum ended up being able to contribute to this as well. Apparently, it was Laymon's last finished work.

To the stories...

Laymon's piece is everything you'd expect from his work. it is saturated with gore, violence, misogyny and adolescent fantasy sex. Nobody writes like Laymon and nobody else could have maintained a solid career basically rehashing the same theme over and over again. But, damn it, he's good at it and his stories move like a roller coaster set on high spped. For the Laymon fan, no originality here, which was a shame, but still a very messed up, blood dreched orgy of sex and violence.

Lee came up with the most imaginative piece in the book. Like Laymon, Lee's stories abound with buxom and wanton women and tend to be drenched with blood, sex and gore. Unlike Laymon, Lee is a truly original writer who has no boundaries to his stories. Never dull, often shocking, Lee weaves a dark and twisted tale that has the twist ending few fans will pick up. Needless to say, I started the story and could not put it down until done. By far, the best novella I have read this year.

Last is Ketchum's tale. While Laymon's and Lee's beging almost identically, Ketchum spins his tale differently from the get go and follows a man on the edge on his well to a cataclysmic meltdown. But in true Ketchum fashion, he throws a curve and leaves us with a meaty surprise.

Highly recommended reading all around.

Now if only Leisure will wise up and snatch up other novels from Cemetery Dance's awesome list of books to release as MMPB, I may start believing in them again.
Bone Daddy
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:44 pm  Reply with quote

I'm on this!

Johnny Butane
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:40 pm  Reply with quote
Elf Fluffer

Glad you agree and enjoyed the book! Couldn't agree more about some of their recent output, but this one is worth picking up (preferably from Evilshop directly). More good stuff in the months to come, don't worry.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
walking-dead
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:04 pm  Reply with quote

Looking forward to some of the new Leisure releases. Brian Keene's work is always fun.
Johnny Butane
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:43 pm  Reply with quote
Elf Fluffer

A bit of warning, the next Keene book, originally released as The Rutting Season, ain't so great. Bloodstone, from newby author Nate Kenyon, is pretty good though. Worth looking forward to!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
walking-dead
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:11 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks JB. I've read all mmpb releases by Keene, but have not had a chance to get any of his small press TPB releases. I'll temper expectations accordingly.