They should have flame throwers.

SCORPIO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Terminal
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:47 am  Reply with quote

thedudeabides wrote:
They should have flame throwers.

Ah Scorpio.

Hell of a guy, hell of a megalomaniac.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
conundrum
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:56 am  Reply with quote

Holy shit. That gladiator just did the "Ka mate" haka. I have mixed emotions about that seeing how I love the All Blacks, but in all technicality it is fairly appropriate for the situation... and he stuck out his tongue in the end...

It seems pretty much like it is keeping mostly to the same mold as the old show (except with water, neck protection, and STILL more injuries in the first episode than I ever remember from the entire '80's run combined).

Why do I love this shit?
Rorschach
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:52 am  Reply with quote

People got legit injured?

Whatcha gonna do, when one of the contestant sues the hell out YOU, BRUTHER?!?!

Smile
Foywonder
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:10 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

I gotta say I found this to be an enormous disappointment. It took me a little while to figure out what it was but then it hit me. First off, the original had actual play-by-play guys from a sports background who called the competition like real sports guy would; this version has some guy who not only sounds like he's reading from a script, he does so in a voical style that sounds more appropriate to announcing prizes on a game show. They've also muted the crowd reaction during the events and added what I guess they think is music that makes it more dramatic but only ends up having the opposite effect. Maybe it's just me but a lot of the crowd noise sounded canned, as if they just added in generic crowd reactions in post-production. And then there's just this sense that the whole show feels rushed. It has that TNA quality where they don't let anything last long enough to matter before hurrying to whatever they have next. Good lord is this program overedited. Amazing, they've managed to make American Gladiators dull. There's no drama to the events because of how they're presenting it. Of all the things that one could end up complaining about I never thought I'd care so little I switched it off after 45-minutes. Oh, and Hulk Hogan is a terrible interviewer.
HorrorDj
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:48 am  Reply with quote

Foywonder wrote:
Oh, and Hulk Hogan is a terrible interviewer.

What do you mean BROTHER?
Rorschach
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:58 am  Reply with quote

HorrorDj wrote:
Foywonder wrote:

Tell me, does he constantly put himself over?

Hogan: Well you know, Contestant A, you did a decent job, DUDE, but let me tell you, BRUTHER, that performance was nothing like when I hoisted the 1,000 pound Andre the Giant over my head in front of thirty million screaming Hulkamaniacs at WrestleMania 3, JACK....and then slammed him to the mat, BRUTHER, causing the entire city to shake to it's very foundations, and God himself to annoint the Hulkster as a Supreme Angel on the spot, DUDE! But you do get this great prize package, Mean Gene!

Contestant: My name is--

Hogan: Well you know, Mean Gene, it's like the time I pinned the Warrior in wCw, BRUTHER....

Rolling Eyes
Foywonder
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:38 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Rorschach wrote:
HorrorDj wrote:
Foywonder wrote:

In his autobiography Hulk Hogan talked about the time he wrestled the legendary Japanese wrestler Antonio Inoki in front of over 100,000 people in North Korea. Problem is it was Ric Flair who wrestled Inoki in North Korea in front of 100,000. Hogan wasn't even at that show.

So, yes, in Hulk Hogan's world everything is all about him regardless of whether or not its even true.
conundrum
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:22 am  Reply with quote

Rorschach wrote:
People got legit injured?

It was hilarious. In the first event one of the contestants did something to their leg. So they had to replace her with another one, and they conducted the interview with the new contestant about how excited she was IN FRONT OF the woman who was leaving injured, while she was on crutches. Awkward.

Then in the next event, one of the gladiators injured themself.

And in the second episode during the Eliminator, one contestant swam into a metal bar and busted her face open.

Hogan was great. Along with the awkward interview mentioned above, he also had one of the greatest lines of the night. After the women did the first event he said something to the effect of "now it is time for the real competition, because up next we have the men's first event." I have no idea what he may have been trying to convey, but it came off extremely condescending to the female competitors. If it had been live and slipped it would be one thing, but in this situation there is no reason the editors should have let it slip.

I absolutely love the combination of this kind of cheesy hackery and fairly decent competition. I ended up liking and hating certain competitors (and hating almost all gladiators as they were mostly assholes) and genuinely wanting one to win. In the original I just liked watching the absurd competitions, this one is getting me in a more competitive fashion.

I am with Foy though, I miss the professional announcers. The audience also reminded me of a "Battlebots" (not "Robot Wars") audience, in that they seemed to be faking that they were fans in a very unconvincing manner.
Rorschach
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:53 pm  Reply with quote

Foywonder wrote:
Rorschach wrote:
HorrorDj wrote:
Foywonder wrote:

In his autobiography Hulk Hogan talked about the time he wrestled the legendary Japanese wrestler Antonio Inoki in front of over 100,000 people in North Korea. Problem is it was Ric Flair who wrestled Inoki in North Korea in front of 100,000. Hogan wasn't even at that show.

So, yes, in Hulk Hogan's world everything is all about him regardless of whether or not its even true.

Ric WHO, BRUTHER? You know, Mean Gene, that reminds me of the time that me, Tully Blanchard, and Arn Anderson kicked Sting out of the Four Horsemen, DUDE. I told him, "Stinger, you just can't hack it as a Horseman, BRUTHER!" and he was all crushed, JACK. But then Arn and I decided to let him back in....only to kick him out the next night, after I won the NWA title from the 800 pound Andre the Giant at Slamboree, BRUTHER!

Whatcha gonna do, when the 24 inch Space Mountain makes the ladies swoon, BRUTHER?!?!

Twisted Evil
HorrorDj
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:29 pm  Reply with quote

I loved the original when I was 10. This version makes me want to stab hobos.
conundrum
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:13 am  Reply with quote

Toa is on my shit list. He is a Samoan doing a Maori war dance. WTF, it would be one thing if Samoa did not have its own war dance, but they have the Siva tau. Maybe he lacks a real love for his heritage, or maybe he is just an All Blacks fan, but either way, I do not like him doing the haka.
Rorschach
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:22 am  Reply with quote

conundrum wrote:
Toa is on my shit list. He is a Samoan doing a Maori war dance. WTF, it would be one thing if Samoa did not have its own war dance, but they have the Siva tau. Maybe he lacks a real love for his heritage, or maybe he is just an All Blacks fan, but either way, I do not like him doing the haka.

Just be glad they're not following Vince McMahon's idea of what a Samoan should be.....

Oe else Toa would be cracking coconuts with his bare hands, running around barefoot and shirtless, and screaming idiot gibberish......because we all know that Samoans are nothing but jungle savages, right Vince?

Rolling Eyes
ajburton29
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:32 am  Reply with quote

I watched it Sunday and Monday night.
There is seriously something unfair with the Eliminator.
And that is the part where they have to grab onto those bike pedal things and pump their way across a gap.
The problem is, if a contestant is too weak to do it, they can just drop down to the mat and run across the gap, climb up and keep going. Leaving the other competitor trying to do it the hard way in the dust.
The person who drops down and runs across should get some sort of a time penalty, but they don't.
It would be better if there was a pool instead of a mat, so they'd have to swim across instead of running across.
Otherwise I was entertained by the show. I've never seen the original.
Texas Horror
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:57 pm  Reply with quote

Rorschach wrote:
Foywonder wrote:
Rorschach wrote:
HorrorDj wrote:
Foywonder wrote:

Ric WHO, BRUTHER? You know, Mean Gene, that reminds me of the time that me, Tully Blanchard, and Arn Anderson kicked Sting out of the Four Horsemen, DUDE. I told him, "Stinger, you just can't hack it as a Horseman, BRUTHER!" and he was all crushed, JACK. But then Arn and I decided to let him back in....only to kick him out the next night, after I won the NWA title from the 800 pound Andre the Giant at Slamboree, BRUTHER!

Whatcha gonna do, when the 24 inch Space Mountain makes the ladies swoon, BRUTHER?!?!

Twisted Evil

Classic.

Fuckin hilarious