FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> Crysis
conundrum
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:34 am  Reply with quote

Okay, I know that I am starting to single myself out here since few people seem to PC game, it is not really horror (although there are definite elements and I LOVE playing "Predator" as it were), but this game is fucking AWESOME!!! The graphics are stellar (and I am only playing on somewhere between medium and high, it goes up to "very high"), the sandbox gameplay is phenomenal (I love replaying parts stealthy, or with lots of gunplay, or driving in heavy artillery), but the multiplayer is where it is at.

Sure, there may be no team slayer, and the instant action is "eh" (no wait for respawn is good, but against 32 players it is hard to make individual headway), but power struggle is great. Sure, you could try to be a sniper bitch like most FPS's reward, but you cannot sit back and do just that. Literally. You have to earn enough prestige (mainly by helping your team take territory) to even be able to afford it. The territory aspect adds so much more cunning, teamwork, and defense. It is not enough to get the prototype facility, you have to hold it against relentless waves of opponents (or conversely, go on many suicide runs to try to take it from entrenched enemies). But you also have to watch the crash sites to keep energy, the bunkers for good respawn, and the vehicle factories to gain ultimate supremacy. The average match is an hour, and let me tell you, a third still often end without a winner. The entire process is amazingly fun, and even if you are not great with the guns (like me) you can still be a huge help to your team (re: I steal bases and build gauss tanks).

If you have a rig that can play it, I advise doing so. I have actually been ignoring "Mario Galaxy" to play this online. And that is no faint praise. And maybe one day I will make it through single player... but first I would need to avoid the multi- button...

BOOM! Headshot!
Kryten Syxx
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:00 am  Reply with quote

I'd like to test out my system on Crysis sometime, but isn't it only meant for Vista OS?

PC's version of Far Cry was amazing and I always had that thing booted up to the highest level of detail possible. Would love to see what settings I could run Crysis at.
conundrum
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:16 am  Reply with quote

No, they dumbed it down to work with DX9 (read: XP), probably due to people not jumping on to Vista (which I do not understand as I do not have half the headaches in Vista that I do with XP). From what I have heard, unless you are running dual 8800GTX's or better (yeah, or BETTER) that the difference between DX9 and DX10 is pretty nominal.

I need to get me a million dollars so I can upgrade my system to that. And buy a green dress. But not a real green dress, that's cruel.
ProfessorMembrane
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:45 am  Reply with quote

Trying to convince my wife that we need to upgrade so I can play this... not working so well yet.

I am dying to play this game. Fundamentally I am a PC gamer at heart, and until this past year I had a machine that [while not always ideal,] was at least servicable for any game I wanted to play. However, with DX10 the new foundation, I'm afraid I've fallen behind technologically...

Maybe next year... sigh.
elric300
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:22 pm  Reply with quote

I've been trying out the demo. It plays alright on my system, a 3.2 ghz P4 with an Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT at 1024 X 768 with everything but shadows on high, and no Anti Aliasing.
Not bad for a FSP. Very pretty, and pretty easy to pick up. I'm a bit disappointed in the sound, as I can't detect it being in 5.1, though admittedly i only have the sound on high. There's a way to edit the configuration file in order to enable the highest settings on Winxp. I might try that for sound, to see if it makes a difference.
conundrum
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:08 am  Reply with quote

elric300 wrote:
I'm a bit disappointed in the sound, as I can't detect it being in 5.1, though admittedly i only have the sound on high. There's a way to edit the configuration file in order to enable the highest settings on Winxp. I might try that for sound, to see if it makes a difference.

No. That, unfortunately, is the game. The sound is truly horrendous and 5.1 ends up being more confusing than helpful. While 5.1 is possible (and 7.1, I think), it is bad. In multi-player I will often hear that there is a helicopter around, but when I look around the sound jumps from speaker to speaker instead of, you know, fading or crossing over to give me a sense of where the sound originates. I have read a couple reviews that also bash the sound, and rightfully so. It is a shame for a game so fun and beautiful to have crap for sound.
commando
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:20 am  Reply with quote

crysis is game of the year imo, dont worry TC im a PC gamer only myself.
Pestilence
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:03 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Just got myself a new machine to play this among other titles, C2D @ 3GHz, 4GB RAM, 8800GT and it runs perfectly on Very High settings at 1280x1024. Only played for around 30 minutes so far, but the game really is gorgeous. Can't wait to get properly stuck in.