Unable to Do Alien 5, Neill Blomkamp Has Filmed a Short Film With Sigourney Weaver

default-featured-image

Back in April, director Neill Blomkamp took to Twitter to announce that he and his banner, Oats Studios, would be releasing experimental short films via Steam. At the time, he was wondering if people would be willing to pay for these clips with seemingly many people saying that they would be happy to chip in for quality content. A month and a half later, the first trailer for Blomkamp’s ventures has been released and can be seen below.

If you’re eagle-eyed, you’ll catch a quick flash of Sigourney Weaver in the trailer. Weaver and Blomkamp, who joined forces for 2015’s Chappie, were supposed to work together on an Alien film that would’ve taken place after the second film but ignored Alien 3 and Alien: Resurrection. However, due to Ridley Scott’s insistence that the prequel series, Prometheus and the recent Alien: Covenant, take precedence, that idea was ultimately scrapped. Additionally, and I may be mistaken here, but there even looks like a digitally de-aged Michael Biehn making an appearance.

I was blown away by Blomkamp’s District 9 and I enjoyed both Chappie and Elysium. I honestly feel that Blomkamp is one of the most engaging sci-fi directors working today, so seeing this trailer brings me nothing but joy. You bet your ass I’ll be checking each of these shorts when they premiere.

Share: 
Tags:

Categorized: