FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> Clive Barker's Jericho
conundrum
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:13 pm  Reply with quote

So it comes out today, the demo has been out for a bit and there is no thread about it?! Are we not men?

To be honest, the demo did not "wow" me. At least not gameplay-wise. I dug the idea of the story and the graphics were pretty damn sweet. Highest settings with nary a frame-rate drop in even the hottest action, that is what I like to see.

But as far as gameplay goes, the demo did not offer all that different an experience. Team based FPS, with the big difference being that to change weapons or psychic powers (only one set of which I found useful in combat) you had to switch between teammates who actually did play quite differently from each other. The demo was short so maybe it picks up later on, but the action was pretty "eh." The AI seemed to consist of "if it is a melee fighter, run up holding out your shield then attack" and "if it is ranged hold back and shoot." No real advanced tactics, no retreats, but then again a horde of undead killing machines might not use great tactics anyway.

I love the concept and want to like the game, but in the end I felt like the demo was just "move, kill the enemies until they stop coming, repeat." Again, it was just a demo so that may not be an issue in the normal game. Technically it was really nice, but in the end I think I am going to have to wait for reviews before I make a move on this one.
lethaldread
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:10 am  Reply with quote

Location: I only know words like good and ball............ and rape.

I dl-ed the demo when it came out, I wasn't overly impressed at all. I do like the "controlling bullets in mid air" thing.
3.???
4.Profit!
5. Mayonnaise
6. RingoJ talking about "some toon pr0n"
7. Sports talk

"They Fucked with the wrong Mexican."
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:22 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Been playing it on GameTap. Pretty damn good. Great story, even though the combat does get a little repetitive. The powers of the various team members are also pretty killer.
Caterpillar
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:15 pm  Reply with quote

I need to buy a new PC that can play this, than buy the game.

And where the hell is DC's review?
Uncle Creepy
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:09 pm  Reply with quote
Pop Culture Icon

It's coming!

Actually, Dark is coming back into the fold so he's writing it!
Chainsaw
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:50 pm  Reply with quote

Location: DON'T TOUCH MY BAGS IF YOU PLEASE. MR. CUSTOMS MAN!

Uncle Creepy wrote:
It's coming!

Actually, Dark is coming back into the fold so he's writing it!

Now that is good news!

"Guaranteed adventures for every citizen should be in the Bill of Rights."-Sam Hell
elric300
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:36 pm  Reply with quote

POSSIBLE SPOILER. PROCEED AT OWN RISK.
So, I finished this thing last week, and...

WTF?! Who approved that ending? Or lack of it? Right in the effing middle of the action, the game just ends. Bam Credits up, end of game. Again, WTFH?!

Worse...ending...ever.
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:47 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Elric: As I say in my review, apparently if you beat the game on the hardest difficulty, you get a different ending. Which is nifty, except for the fact that as of this writing, I can't find a reference anywhere that anyone has actually done this. The game really has zero replay value, so I have no idea why one would slog through it twice just to see a different ending. It's a major gripe with the game and the primary reason it didn't land a perfect score with me. Give every paying customer the REAL ending, and do alternates if you like for those that do better. (Silent Hill 2 is the best example here...everyone has a shot at the 'best' ending, but there are tons of wacky alternates for those who want to dump a ton of time into it.)
elric300
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:50 pm  Reply with quote

Oops. Missed that part,doh. I'll go back and redo it. It's not very long, and at this point, I'll just activate the cheats if I have to, and just blast through it. Again.
Still a big cheat, if you ask me.

See, the game is alright, but I see much more Unreal 3 then I see Clive Barker. Barker's much more then just blood and guts, and the characters just don't fit in all that much. Seems more of a compromise, to me.

Mr. Dark wrote:
Elric: As I say in my review, apparently if you beat the game on the hardest difficulty, you get a different ending. Which is nifty, except for the fact that as of this writing, I can't find a reference anywhere that anyone has actually done this. The game really has zero replay value, so I have no idea why one would slog through it twice just to see a different ending. It's a major gripe with the game and the primary reason it didn't land a perfect score with me. Give every paying customer the REAL ending, and do alternates if you like for those that do better. (Silent Hill 2 is the best example here...everyone has a shot at the 'best' ending, but there are tons of wacky alternates for those who want to dump a ton of time into it.)
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:31 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

I see Barker in the game, knowing that he likely had a hand in the critter design, the overall plot, and some of the character work. The plot is all Barker, with the usual blend of Judeo-Christian lore and pagan/magical influences. As usual, he has beautiful monsters and ugly humans, with a big question as to whether this Firstborn thing is really all that evil in the bigger view, or if the real villain is the seemingly selfish and jealous God that created and then jailed it in hell for no crime larger than being as powerful as He Himself created it to be. By the end, things are far less gray, but I imagine Barker's foundation had more ambiguity that fed into the clash of Paul vs. the less Christian members of the team. Somewhere, I'm sure the game developers stepped in and said 'okay, at one point we need to kill something at the end of this thing, so we need a heavy' and that lead to the clarification of any gray in the Firstborn.

I think you also see Barker strongly in the characters. Forget the armor and the very non-Barker character designs on the Jericho team, pay attention to their histories as hinted at in the game and as fleshed out in the Extras as you play through and unlock more of the game. Damaged people, either brought to magic through their damage or damaged because of their magic, all castigated because of it, and primarily by the church or those who pretend to represent it. Dark, dark stuff in there, madness and magic, classic Barker elements.

Should we have seen more Barker, as we did in Undying? Maybe. This game isn't Undying, the whole point is a fast-moving action-film experience, set in a nightmarish Barker-esque hellscape of eternal torture, degradation, and horror. As opposed to undying, the tale actually isn't the point so much as the experience of the tale. The journey really is more important that the destination. They didn't fudge on the story as most FPS's do, they just focused on what was important: the characters and the action. Instead of another generic FPS with anorexic plot and no characters to speak of, we got deep character development, a decent plot...and lots of cool weapons to splatter things with.
elric300
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:08 pm  Reply with quote

Good points, and now that I've started to play again, I see what you mean. I'm still massively disappointed in the end, and feel that I got an unfinished game, beautiful as it is. We'll see as I unlock more things and get to see that other ending.