FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Best-cellars -> Cronenberg has been busy on his Clark Nova
Nobodaddy
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:08 pm  Reply with quote

Location: Munyeca. Yo te ciaro. Yo te ciaro Ohio. Muy bonito.

This is a very unexpected, but nice surprise.

Quote:
Penguin acquires Cronenberg book
Publishing unit nabs rights to director's debut

Penguin Group Canada has acquired Canuck rights to local filmmaker David Cronenberg's debut novel, set to be published in early 2010.

Penguin Group Canada executive editor Nicole Winstanley approached the Toronto helmer several months ago to ask whether he would consider writing a novel.

"His films demonstrate a deep understanding of the human condition that could translate into fiction brilliantly, so I'm delighted that he has decided to take on this challenge," said Winstanley.

"I've literally been waiting 50 years to do this," said Cronenberg in a statement. "I'm excited."

Cronenberg refused to comment any further, but a Penguin spokesman said the director had definite ideas about the story and that it would be partially set in Toronto.

Penguin Canada acquired the book from Andrew Wylie of the Wylie Agency, and Wylie will sell the novel worldwide.

Cronenberg's most recent film is London-set Russian mob thriller "Eastern Promises," which is generating awards-season buzz.
ImTheMoon
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:09 pm  Reply with quote

sweet
Johnny Butane
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:27 pm  Reply with quote
Elf Fluffer

Yes it is!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ImTheMoon
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:46 am  Reply with quote

I may not love everything Cronenberg does but I will give him credit he tells an interesting story, Shivers is still disturbing and that flicks 30 years old. so I'm really interested in seeing what he does with a novel.
Caterpillar
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:07 pm  Reply with quote

I highly doubt that this novel will be in the horror genre but you can bet I'll grab it as soon as it hits shelves.
ImTheMoon
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:37 pm  Reply with quote

I'm not so much interested for the opportunity of a horror novel but because I like how Cronenberg communicates with the audience, I think that in and of itself will make for an interesting story.
Nobodaddy
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:20 pm  Reply with quote

Location: Munyeca. Yo te ciaro. Yo te ciaro Ohio. Muy bonito.

Some details:

Quote:
David Cronenberg, the master of the "body horror" genre whose films include Dead Ringers, Naked Lunch, Crash and Eastern Promises, is turning his gruesome talent to the printed page.

Fourth Estate has paid a five-figure sum after a vicious bidding war between London publishers to snap up the Canadian director's debut novel.

Displaying typical bloodlust, Cronenberg has already completed 40 pages of Consumed and is expected to deliver the manuscript next year, with a view to publication in the autumn.

The plot will come as no surprise to fans of the maverick film-maker who has spent the past three decades revolting and delighting audiences in equal measure with his acclaimed and often obsessive exploration of the human body.

According to The Bookseller, it revolves around a married couple, who are investigative journalists working on two separate stories. The wife is in Paris, delving into a bizarre crime where a woman has been killed and possibly eaten, and whose husband has also apparently disappeared.

The journalist's husband is elsewhere in Europe, writing about a new treatment for cancer devised by a renegade doctor. His unorthodox methods involve planting radioactive nodes near the cancerous cells.

According to Cronenberg's editor, Mark Richards of Fourth Estate, what follows next is down to the writer's formidable imagination. "Where it will go from here is part of the fun," he said.

Mr Richards said that reading the first 40 pages of the novel was enough to convince the publisher to pay a high five-figure sum to clinch Cronenberg's signature. "It's an absolutely fantastic opening and there's no reason to think that the rest of the book will be anything less than that," he said.

"It's exactly what you would hope for from a Cronenberg novel," he said. "It has that slightly uneasy dark feeling but also has a funny tone that his films share. There is something genuinely uncanny about it. It is wonderful that it is from him but it is the strength of the writing that is so impressive."

Although Consumed is Cronenberg's first novel, the 65-year-old film-maker has had a longstanding interest in writing. His father was a journalist and as a young man Cronenberg wrote a series of eerie short stories before graduating from the University of Toronto with a literature degree.
Caterpillar
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:25 am  Reply with quote

Here's an update:

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jtiDHTEH1Brgk9nHEfRlWEy74WtAD940DGGG0