FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> My Non-fanboy Rant on the PS3
Uncle Creepy
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:36 pm  Reply with quote
Pop Culture Icon

I have all the current systems. XB, XB360, GC, and PS2. Out of all of the systems which one has failed me the most? PS2. Not because it's a bad system or it doesn't have good games. It's just that the hardware is crap. I went through 4, yes 4 PS2's and I really take care of my stuff. I called Sony each time and they were super non-responsive. I did everything that they told me to do. Plug it in to an outlet all by itself. Turn it upside down. Shake a handful of chicken bones and recite a voodoo chant. You name it. Nothing works. Ever. It's not just me either. I know too many other people these same issues have plagued.

A friend of mine manages an EB Games and he told me without question the PS2 is the most problematic system ever. I saw his back stock room. There was 1 broken GameCube, about three busted Xbox's and enough PS2's to build a tiny non working village.

Sony seemingly has never corrected these problems. In fact they made them worse. So they make the PS2 smaller. How? By removing the fan. Gee, that was really smart. Now the thing overheats almost every time after a few hours of use. This maybe OK for the casual gamer, but for the hardcore one this sucks. Secondly the smaller one has great difficulty playing the blue-back discs. YAY having a system that has trouble playing a third of its own library. And don't even get me started about their advertising. How many times have we seen commercials for PS2 games with amazing graphics, and then bought the game, got it home and realized all that we saw were cut-screens and the actual gameplay looked horrid? I can go on and on.

I think the reason for this poor quality hardware is that Sony has a gazillion other products on the market. Everything from toasters to high end Hi Def TVs. Any revenue that they generate from gamers is just gravy to them. Whereas companies like Nintendo and Microsoft have mainly focused on digital entertainment since their inception.

Don't get me wrong, I am no fanboy or system basher. I believe in having good games. I don't care what system they're on. I am just a realist speaking from his own experience. I'll eventually get a PS3. My only reservations about it are based on my troubles with the PS2. Before I shell out $600 bucks for the system, I'd like to know that the damned thing works.
Fireflyfan
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:15 pm  Reply with quote

I own a psp, ps2, 360 and x box and game cube - but I will not be owning a ps3 because it's a glorified blu ray player, designed not for gaming, but for sony to put blu ray in people's homes and make money from that. I DONT WANT THAT STUFF, SONY! I just want to play goddamn games. I dont and wont pay for a new dvd player as well when I can get wii and 360 cheaper...not to mention that it's exclusives are pretty crappy.

Im sitting out on this one for ps3, it doesn't justify the price.
Screamz
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:25 pm  Reply with quote

As I've done with nearly every game system, I'll sit this out for while. I, too, had troubles with the PS2, but thankfully am only on my second one. 600 bones is way too much for me, especially if Sony hasn't gotten their acto together and made a decent machine.

I'll wait until the inevitable price drop, then I might check it out... Cool
theDrifter67
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:33 pm  Reply with quote

i prob will never own a P3S, fanboy stuff or not i have simply not liked the PS.1, 2 or 3 controllers period, and for me i felt the transition from sega which i always liked to the xbox was natural for me, despite the failing of the sega saturn and the short lived dreamcast i liked both systems-controller wise and i have plenty of game systems from over the years, never was very impressed with sony in short im not going to support or endorse what i dont like-not saying all ps games have sucked-im talking mostly hardware one can still be a hardcore gammer without owning every system on the market-and im not a "bandwagon" jumper,, which means what everyone hails as great i just dont jump... just to be in-
i just want a system i can play games on, i dont need a gamming system that can do a million other things, just so the price tag can sound justified-
RingoJ
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:53 am  Reply with quote

I bought a PS2 shortly after launch and it held up really well for several years. I'm planning on buying a PS3, but maybe not right when they launch.
Chainsaw
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:36 pm  Reply with quote

Location: DON'T TOUCH MY BAGS IF YOU PLEASE. MR. CUSTOMS MAN!

I like the "tiny, non-working village" line.

Anyhoo, I've had problems with the PS2. My system, which I bought back in 2001, held up pretty well until about 3 years ago, when it stopped playing DVD's. Bothersome, but not problematic. Then it stopped playing most of my scant PS1 library. Finally, near the end, I could barely get games to launch in it. I sold it back for $30 as a non-working unit (it wouldn't load a blue-backed disc) and bought the slimline PS2 so I could play SDvR '06. So, yeah, I can attest to PS2's shoddiness.

I seem to recall someone saying that one reason these things happen is because of the DVD playback, which uses the drive at a much faster speed than for the games, and that wears the drive out faster. For $600+ for the PS3, they better hope that they iron out a lot of these problems on the Blu-Ray format. But Sony has had a pretty arrogant attitude towards it's hardware, so I doubt that it will be a very bug-free system.

"Guaranteed adventures for every citizen should be in the Bill of Rights."-Sam Hell
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:19 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

I have a beef with this post: there's just NO WAY you could say that a village made from those broken PS2's wouldn't work. They're sturdy, stylish, and with proper mortar would likely keep out the elements very well.

Anyway.

Never buying a PS3. Ooo, the 'n' word! Yeah, not a chance, unless they somehow bring the price down to the sub-300 level. Same with X-Box 360, but I think they'll get there by the time I'm willing to trust the hardware further than I could throw it.

The Wii? Plag has converted me. I'm a launch-day Wii owner if I have the dough. The DS and DS Lite have convinced me that Nintendo knows better than anyone how to deliver lasting, excellent gameplay on reliable, well-designed hardware for reasonible prices. I just hope the PS3 horror titles make it to X-Box 360 or PC, because Sony just priced themselves right out of the game business.

PS: Just so y'all hate me, I have probably the oldest working PS2 in the world. I got it in late 2001, and it's STILL WORKING. And as you all should know, that sucker has been USED. I have to put disc covers on the PS1 discs to get them to load, but they do load, and I've had relatively few problems with standard PS2 games. Go figger!
Chainsaw
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:03 pm  Reply with quote

Mr. Dark wrote:

The Wii? Plag has converted me. I'm a launch-day Wii owner if I have the dough. The DS and DS Lite have convinced me that Nintendo knows better than anyone how to deliver lasting, excellent gameplay on reliable, well-designed hardware for reasonible prices.

I want to get a Wii on launch day, just so I can take the system whem I pick it up at the store, spin around with it, and go "WIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!"

"Guaranteed adventures for every citizen should be in the Bill of Rights."-Sam Hell
PowerLeech
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:23 pm  Reply with quote

I really don't take that good a care of my PS2, but it still works as good as it did since the PS2 was first released. I've heard about all sorts of problems with the newer models though, which is odd because I would think it would be the other way around.
PrairieGhost
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:40 pm  Reply with quote

Yeah I went through 3 ps2's and never got another one. I'll be getting a WII to go with my 360. Not because I hate ps2 it's just that I don't trust sony to make a good piece of hardware.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Goo4reel
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:33 am  Reply with quote

I will get one but man does the price tag piss me off
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:20 pm  Reply with quote

I have no interest in paying $600 for a system at all. So I probably won't be getting a PS3 until it's time for PS4 when the price will be affordable.

And I'm not even close to thinking highly enough of the Wii. Nothing I have read or seen has made me the least bit interested. The graphics look like ass (or current gen), and I can't see myself waving around a controller to play a game. I'm way too lazy for that.

So it looks like 360 is the only console in my immediate future but truth be told I still have tons of great games left to play for my XBOX and PS2 so I'm more than content.
Tristan Sinns
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:49 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

PS2 has the best DDR games. Not that I'd play that game. Nope. Never. Nada. Uh-uh. No way. No pictures no proof.

/stomps on an arrow
The Last Exorcism
Piranha 3D
Chainsaw
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:53 pm  Reply with quote

Reading about the PS3, what really gets me is that it seems like it's being cobbled together from ideas from the other next-gen titles. Consider:

-Motion-tilt sensors in controllers to be used during gameplay-The Wii.

-Triggers for shoulder buttons-360.

-Button on controller for turning system on (possibly. Even Kaz Harai had no idea what the button did at E3)-360

-Two model release planned with a "budget" system that's $100 less than premium-360

-Downloadable games from past library-Wii

-Downloadable content for a price (not confirmed yet, but certain to happen)-360

The PS3 seems like it lacks an innovative touch, and people keep trumping it's graphical power as the main selling point. But if the gameplay isn't there, and their online component doesn't pan out well, the graphics won't mean a thing.

plagiarize
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:11 pm  Reply with quote
Verbal Kaleidoscope/Dread Central Staff

it's pretty simple. if you want a entry level blu ray player and a next gen console, then the ps3 isn't too expensive. if you just want a next gen console then it's too expensive.

$100 is too much to pay just so your games only come on one disk two years down the line.

sure, i'll end up getting one when it's the right side of $300... but i do think it's a bit unfair to essentially force everyone to buy a blu ray player at cost.

the ps2 had a DVD player, but it cost the same as ps one at launch. made it feel like a free dvd player, and if you had no interest in playing dvds, you didn't care.