FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> Hellgate: London
conundrum
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:16 pm  Reply with quote

This is a game that I have been looking forward to for some time, but now that its release is not 2 weeks away and the demo is out, I admit I am nervous.

The demo had tons of stuff that really impressed me. Two character classes were offered and playing with them was like night and day. One was clearly an adventure, and one was clearly an FPS (both with strong RPG overtones). If the other classes offer even half as much diversity, this game will have massive replay (in addition to the free online play). The enemies looked awesome and the customization for the character was not too shabby, but hopefully it is being tweeked. The weapons I got in the demo were good enough to easily wipe out most enemies without bothering to notice what they are, but not good enough that when you run into something a bit bigger you need to start thinking tactics (even if they are as basic as "run 'n' gun" or "run and heal"). I desperately want to play this with some friends in co-op. The controls are smooth and responsive, the frame rate dropped rarely (but not very rarely), and overall I just could not stop playing for 5 hours or so.

But there were also problems. A lot of them were little things that I might expect, but am still chagrined to find considering how close to release it is. Like I said, the frame-rate did drop occassionally, almost exclusively when I had just entered a new area. My rig is pretty damn new (built in April) with a Dx10 compatible graphics card. I do NOT want to see a drop in frame-rate in a game this recent! The physics suck, there, I said it. I am not a proponent of uber-realistic physics, but when I shoot a creature lunging at me out of mid-air and it drops like a rock on the spot, it takes me out of the game. The enemy deaths were also not looking good. Their animations were generally great, but too many times an enemy I had killed died on its feet as it were. Not good. The character creation, while having promise (I made a decent likeness of myself) was riddled with bugs. Then there were the real problems. In 5 hours, the game must have crashed on me as many times. I know that it is only a demo, but that many crashes less than 2 weeks before release? We really so live in the age of release now, fix it with a patch later.

I still plan on getting this around its release as I loved playing it. But I am not expecting anything near a bug free game.

Oh, also worth mentioning is the white haired/bearded character "George" who sends you on the zombie killing quests "Dawn of the Zombies" and "Day of the Zombies." Oh, and the Sumatran rat monkey is kinda tough Wink
Rottenjesus
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:33 pm  Reply with quote

I want this game NOW. Twisted Evil

Edited to add: Having played the demo for a bit now, I have to say I love kicking demon ass in a post apocalyptic London. I'm definitely picking up the Collector's Edition for all the little extras. The whole combo of RPG/FPS works really well here. I'm playing a Blademaster and it's lots of fun.

The wait for this game has been worth it, IMHO.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:23 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Played the beta, now playing the live game. Kicks ass. Most of the issues mentioned in the original post have been resolved. Even the devs are saying they regret making the demo when they did, as they made plenty of changes after it was completed.

It's Diablo crossed with World of Warcraft. How can this not be amazing?
conundrum
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:24 pm  Reply with quote

Mr. Dark wrote:
After you download the patch, most of the issues mentioned in the original post have been resolved.

Fixed.

I am honestly really enjoying it, but can also understand the relatively low review scores (especially pre-patch, where I would have said they were too high).

Currently a lvl 9 marksman. I guess that I will try online at some point, but for now I think I need to level up some more.
thedarkestshadow
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:26 pm  Reply with quote

its on sale at circuity city for 39.99 this week. I was thinking of picking it up but not sure after reading the review on dreadcentral. Have all the "showstopper" bugs been fixed?
conundrum
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:07 pm  Reply with quote

Ouch. That was a scathing review. Still having not played online (Crysis is owning my time for that) I cannot comment on the online problems, but on my machine the first patch fixed nearly all of the crash problems in single player.

I honestly wonder if the differences between XP and Vista (or DX9 and DX10) could be compounding the problems by making them have to solve some of the problems twice or having a solution for one creating bugs in the other.
thedarkestshadow
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:06 pm  Reply with quote

I went ahead and bought the game. I have a level 11 Summoner. So far I have not encountered any really bad bugs. I was playing with a friend and after we had finished killing some enemies it showed him still shooting his weapon even though he wasn't. That stopped when he switched weapons. The only other bugs I've seen are:
-dead enemies floating in the air (usually only happens with airborne enemies)
- It not showing party member's levels properly. My friend and I both leveled up. When I looked at his character or he looked at mine it still showed us as our previous levels until we went to a new area.
- The sound messed up on me and i had to exit and reenter the game. I think this may be a problem with my sound card though.
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:22 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

conundrum wrote:
Ouch. That was a scathing review. Still having not played online (Crysis is owning my time for that) I cannot comment on the online problems, but on my machine the first patch fixed nearly all of the crash problems in single player.

I honestly wonder if the differences between XP and Vista (or DX9 and DX10) could be compounding the problems by making them have to solve some of the problems twice or having a solution for one creating bugs in the other.

That's absolutely it. DX10/Vista has way more problems than XP/DX9. However, I'm running XP/DX9 and I'm still dealing with broken quests that I'm stuck with, with no resolution in site. That, to me, is a dealbreaker. If it happened to the one quest, what's going to stop it from happening to a main storyline quest that will have me stuck in park until they fix it? This IS happening to others right now. With no in-game GM support to do things like shake loose broken quests, it's just a mess.

I'm not even going to launch the game again for another two or three months. I have Guild Wars to keep me busy, and a ton of Gametap games.
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:20 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Pacth .7 came out. In possibly related news, I just canceled my subscription.

Still have a quest stuck in my list that won't let me complete or abandon. Still have multiple gameplay bugs with buggy mobs and skills that don't work as they should.

I was foolish enough to pay $60 for an unfinished game, I'm not going to be foolish enough to keep paying $10 a month for the same -still- unfinished game.

In the meantime, I'm enjoying the bloody blue blazes out of Guild Wars and Super Marip Galaxy. They may not be horror, but they frickin' WORK and they're just incredibly fun.

I'll revisit HG:L in six months or so, assuming it's still there. (The online version has been plummeting, down from 14k players at any given time to around 2.5k, just to give you an idea.)
thedarkestshadow
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:01 pm  Reply with quote

I don't know why it's giving you so many problems. I haven't had anything lke that happen. I just finished the game yesterday and now I'm messing around with Nightmare difficulty. I encountered no problems with quests that couldn't be solved. There was one quest that I was supposed to use an item on an enemy. It wouldnt let me. I abandoned the quest and got it back and it worked fine the next time. Other than that I've only encountered visual bugs. If anyone wants to party or needs help transfering, etc my main character's name is Daellyn. I even went ahead and became a founder. If anyone is interested in that go to bgosu.com. If you have a paypal account you can buy a wasp preorder kit. They email the code to you. It has to be done before the 31st though.

edit: Today I found a cricket bat called Shaun's Trusty Sidekick or something like that. The quote that you see when you examine it is from Shaun of the Dead.