FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Terror Tube -> MASTERS OF HORROR moves to NBC & gets a new title
Johnny Truant
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:15 pm  Reply with quote

There will still be plenty of gore. NBC broadcasts Heroes which has an abundance of red stuff and broken twisted bodies, so I don't see the violence in it being a problem. Not as extreme in the MOH episodes, of course, but the violence in MOH has been way too over the top anyways. A toning down will do it good.
Tshoffie
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:32 pm  Reply with quote

well this really sucks
UnLucky McKee
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:53 am  Reply with quote

Yeah, because Masters of Sci-Fi was soooo fuckin' incredible. Shit, this sucks.
Sirand
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:47 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

UnLucky McKee wrote:
Yeah, because Masters of Sci-Fi was soooo fuckin' incredible. Shit, this sucks.

So are you saying you won't direct an episode for this one? Wink
Legba
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:21 pm  Reply with quote

This is just a shame.

No matter how uneven most of the two seasons were, it represented the best the genre had to offer on these shores at the time as far as I'm concerned. Especially with the stagnant commercial product sinking lower and lower, dying a painfully slow creative death.

It brought me back some to when low budget filmmaking was proficently viable, and in the hands of artists and amatuers alike that sorta contributed to an odd mix, but do to circumstances could strike gold in a more loose environment where anything was possible for the imaginative who saw it as an opportunity, outside the safty net of the mainstream. And it posed and allotted that element of 'choice' for something other, with Argento, Hooper, and Miike delivering ballsy episodes that weren't conventional.

I have zero interest in this NBC deal.
Caterpillar
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:27 pm  Reply with quote

We had the same kind of discussion when it was first announced that MOH would be broadcast on Showtime. Why is everybody ignoring the fact that neither NBC nor Showtime are financing or producing these films? It used to be Anchor Bay and now it's Lion's Gate. Showtime cut the Argento episode and refused to broadcast the one by Miike. NBC may or may not decide to drastically cut the new episodes for broadcast. Well, who gives a fuck? If you don't want to you don't have to watch the broadcast versions. Just wait for the unrated DVDs.
Legba
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:47 pm  Reply with quote

Do really think NBC is gonna bankroll, in any fashion, episodes that aren't going to air? Just think of the massive advertising dollar (I could give two fucks but) at play here. The dynamics of this show will drastically change down to the very initial script stages. Not just from a gore standpoint, but the very subject matter and the way it's presented. Argento's PELTS is very symbolic film dealing with self mutilation and what it represents within the context of one of his pervasive obsessions. Hooper's THE DAMNED THING whould lose its key ingredient - the wildly choatic ending that is completely 'incoherant' to the majority. This would never play on network TV. Not to mention Miike's episode, or even something like Carpenter's last. You'd have advertisers running for the exits...
Tshoffie
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:23 am  Reply with quote

Caterpillar wrote:
We had the same kind of discussion when it was first announced that MOH would be broadcast on Showtime. Why is everybody ignoring the fact that neither NBC nor Showtime are financing or producing these films? It used to be Anchor Bay and now it's Lion's Gate. Showtime cut the Argento episode and refused to broadcast the one by Miike. NBC may or may not decide to drastically cut the new episodes for broadcast. Well, who gives a fuck? If you don't want to you don't have to watch the broadcast versions. Just wait for the unrated DVDs.

The problem is not just the fact that NBC will trim whatever violence and gore is in the script for tv which they will....but they will probably interfere in the screenplays subject matter as well..unrated dvds or not wont make a difference if the films no longer have any balls
ImTheMoon
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:05 am  Reply with quote

I'm just not convinced that the NBC location will be able to attract the talent the series had before, I know that the episodes each season were hit and miss (with everyone having differing opinions on which were which) but you were entertained more often then not. With the move I think it's going to shift to a far greater ration of suckage too greatness
Legba
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:40 am  Reply with quote

Not to mention something as emotionally romantised to the maddennng degree of THE BLACK CAT, or the very, very grim social bite of THE SCREWFLY SOLUTION. Make no mistake, this is gonna suck donkey balls...
Caterpillar
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:35 am  Reply with quote

Tshoffie wrote:
The problem is not just the fact that NBC will trim whatever violence and gore is in the script for tv which they will....but they will probably interfere in the screenplays subject matter as well.

And what makes you jump to that absurd conclusion? NBC will have absolutely zero influence on the screenplay writing process or the filming. They'll be handed the finished movies and that's that.

Here's what Garris said when interviewed by Fangoria about this topic:

"We hope to stretch the boundaries of network television horror, which may be a bit more doable in the wake of the acceptance of gruesome sequences in the latest medical and cop shows. But Lionsgate will be releasing uncensored DVD and international versions, which will probably be at least five minutes longer than the network versions."

How is this any different from a movie studio, producers and the MPAA interfering with a horror movie for its R-Rated theatrical release? Happens all the time. Then we all go and buy the unrated director's cut to get the version we really wanted to see.

ImTheMoon wrote:
I'm just not convinced that the NBC location will be able to attract the talent the series had before.

Nothing is set in stone yet obviously but we do know that Stuart Gordon will be back for an episode and the usual suspects of Hooper, Dante, Carpenter and Garris have also already been mentioned in connection with the show.

From BD's coverage of the Scream Awards:

"Mick Garris on the black carpet he reveals exclusively to BD that Stuart Gordon, Tobe Hooper and John Carpenter will all direct episodes of Fear Itself for NBC. He also reveals that Steve Niles will be writing an episode and a Stephen King story is close to being locked for adaptation. In addition, there are some huge director announcements forthcoming and Lionsgate will be releasing bloodier versions of the shows on DVD in 2008."
Messiahman
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:05 am  Reply with quote

Caterpillar wrote:
And what makes you jump to that absurd conclusion? NBC will have absolutely zero influence on the screenplay writing process or the filming. They'll be handed the finished movies and that's that.

Sorry dude, but you're 100% wrong on this. NBC most certainly DOES have script approval as part of the contract, and they will definitely be involved at a story level. This network deal is worked out very differently than the one with Showtime.

I know this for a fact, as I have several friends who've taken meetings on the show already. It's pretty damned disheartening.

However, due to the impending writer's strike, rumor has it that this show may be a goner before it even begins.
Caterpillar
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:31 pm  Reply with quote

Messiahman wrote:
Sorry dude, but you're 100% wrong on this. NBC most certainly DOES have script approval as part of the contract, and they will definitely be involved at a story level. This network deal is worked out very differently than the one with Showtime.

You've always been right with your insider information so I'll trust you here as well. That's a shame. I still don't see why this means there won't be any worthwhile episodes. If NBC won't allow episodes like PRO-LIFE they'll actually get my infinite gratitude. Like I said above I don't live in the US and I don't watch US television but I doubt that NBC would have a problem with something like Gordon's BLACK CAT. Maybe they'd demand the animal cruelty be removed but that's a bit that could easily be put back in for the DVD. Maybe stricter guidelines will force the writers and directors to resort to actual storytelling skills instead of going for the sledgehammer gross-out every single time.
Legba
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:51 pm  Reply with quote

There's plenty of story telling skills involved in PELTS, THE DAMNED THING, THE SCREWFLY SOLUTION, and IMPRINT. Just a greater flexibility of form removed from normal dictates of good taste. That's all we need, have the focus as a stringently ridgid 'dramatic' horror show that fits in nicely beside other well written but faceless primetime programming.
ImTheMoon
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:10 am  Reply with quote

what do you think about the whole Garris stepping down thing because of the strike? Do you think this could be the death rattle for the show, with Garris nologer having the control and being at a new network but unable to produce material due to the strike what are the chances now that we're ever going to see Fear Itself?