FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Terror Tube -> AMC Monsterfest 2007
Texas Horror
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:49 am  Reply with quote

Several nice flicks sprinkled in this year.

The Howling being one.

It started yesterday or today. 24/7 till Halloween night.

I watched part of Poltergeist 2 today. It had been forever since I'd seen it. I'll probably DVR it just to see how bad the rest of it is, since the first 45 minutes put me to sleep.
American Werewolf
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:23 am  Reply with quote

As much as I look forward to Monsterfest each year I find the line up questionable sometimes. Pinata Island? Maybe they have to mix in some filler but they can do better then that. It would be nice for them to mix in some Universal classics and I'm almost sure that in past years they have shown Hammer movies in there even though they don't fit the "American" third of AMC. I could be wrong on that one. I want to see movies that aren't on a lot or even rarely. Halloween 4,5,6,...you can see them almost regularly on AMC during the year. I like a healthy selection of classics as well as contemporary. Show me something that I CAN'T see regularly i.e. The Black Cat or Horror of Dracula. That was cathartic. Laughing
bart138
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:18 am  Reply with quote

Monsterfest is pretty much always a disappointment, but I still look forward to it every year. I wish Turner would expand their horror marathon to more than just Halloween itself.
Bone Daddy
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:28 am  Reply with quote

Now that I have Monsters HD (caught The Fog and bit of Halloween before work-cool!!!!!!) AMC's Monsterfest is rather bland now.

Unless they bring back Bruce to host it!!!!!

conundrum
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:55 am  Reply with quote

I used to like it, and may still use it as background filler when doing something else, but the fact is that I do not need it. Almost all of the movies that would interest me, I have on DVD. Meaning that I can already watch them when I want to, uncut, and without commercials. Movies on any channel with commercials and editing no longer interest me.
Chainsaw
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:22 am  Reply with quote

Location: DON'T TOUCH MY BAGS IF YOU PLEASE. MR. CUSTOMS MAN!

I look at Monsterfest like this: It's something I can turn on at work when I'm editing for background noise. I mean, The F'n FOG was on yesterday!

Still, it's things like this that make me wish they could bring back Monstervision on TNT. Also, the ad campaigns, while cool, don't really make the movies very horrific.

"Guaranteed adventures for every citizen should be in the Bill of Rights."-Sam Hell
Texas Horror
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:30 am  Reply with quote

Chainsaw wrote:
I look at Monsterfest like this: It's something I can turn on at work when I'm editing for background noise. I mean, The F'n FOG was on yesterday!

Still, it's things like this that make me wish they could bring back Monstervision on TNT. Also, the ad campaigns, while cool, don't really make the movies very horrific.

Ahhh... Monstervision with Joe Bob Briggs. The good old days.
Bone Daddy
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:06 pm  Reply with quote

I think AMC's Monsterfest needs to re-tool its concept. More specials-Host type segments. Something!!!!!

Texas Horror
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:32 pm  Reply with quote

Bone Daddy wrote:
I think AMC's Monsterfest needs to re-tool its concept. More specials-Host type segments. Something!!!!!

I agree. It definatly could be better in countless ways. But it's something. At least it's one time of year when we/I can watch endless horror. At least they are acknowledgling Halloween, which is more than I can say for most of TV.

I have DishNetwork, but can't afford Monsters HD. And there is just something... I don't know... nostalgic? About watching Horror on TV.

Someone stated before that they could watch many or all of the flicks on Monster Fest on DVD anytime... without commercials, and uncut.

Duhhh. We all can for the most part. I was just impressed with a couple of the titles in the mix this year, even if they are shown over and over.

And also as previously stated, if nothing else it's just something to have on in the background.

Do we really expect that much out of network television that we want to criticize and put down a channel that shows 10 days of non stop horror...? Please. Stop with the elitist, high and mighty horror fan crap

Yeah, it could (and should) be better. But again... It's an effort.
Bone Daddy
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:50 am  Reply with quote

I agree. For a mainstream cable channel, I enjoy its annual Halloween effort. It's become tradition, like all those Rank/Bass Christmas specials trotted out every year way back when. So I agree, it does have its appeal in a nostalgic sense and the fact that it does celebrate The season of the Witch!

Texas Horror
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:51 pm  Reply with quote

Exactly. Well said.

I think if you "expect" better programming, then you are delusional.

However... do we "want" better programming? Absolutly.

Seems like "expect" is a term used a little too loosly these days. We should know not to EXPECT much as horror fans. It just sets us up for dissapointment time and time again.

But I will still WANT better horror till the cows come home.
loserlist69
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:56 pm  Reply with quote

bart138 wrote:
Monsterfest is pretty much always a disappointment, but I still look forward to it every year. I wish Turner would expand their horror marathon to more than just Halloween itself.

"Turner" as in "TCM"? If so, they've been marathoning horror movies on Fridays all this month.
Cthulhu23
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:21 pm  Reply with quote
Seeking the other 22 Cthulhus

Texas Horror wrote:
Chainsaw wrote:

Ahhh... Monstervision with Joe Bob Briggs. The good old days.

And greatly missed! I agree!
thedudeabides
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:25 pm  Reply with quote
Violent Misanthrope

Am I the only one who remembers that, as a kid, almost every channel had either monster movies or Halloween themed programming all month long instead of a few days or weeks before the 31st?
Terminal
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:02 pm  Reply with quote

AMC Monsterfest was excellent ONE year where they played a bunch of classic horror films and documentaries. I was in heaven.

Now, with commercials, editing, and replaying movies no older than twenty five years, it's just a mediocre marathon.

And with Monsters HD, it doesn't add up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address