FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Terror Tube -> ABC Picks Up Pushing Daisies (From Creator Of Dead Like Me)
Mistress
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:55 pm  Reply with quote

I tuned in with no expectations. I liked it. And that surprises me. I'll keep watching.

it's better than Moonlight. My daughter is looking for a show we can watch together. Man I hope Pushing Daisies is the one.
xfoley8
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:22 pm  Reply with quote

Ratings were decent for the first ep- 13 million. Of course, the 2nd week will probably give a better indication of the longer-term appeal.
Messiahman
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:11 pm  Reply with quote

I found it damn near unwatchable, disgustingly precious and self-aware. The twee narration. The unbearably cutesy cinematography that clearly cost a fortune. And the idiotic set-up. "There is no explanation for the protagonist having this ability, and not only are we not going to try to explain it, we will BRAG about not having an explanation, and act unutterably superior because we aren't going to explain it."

And it's derivative as hell -- they are clearly going for a Tim Burton In His Prime vibe (which they're not gonna get in the individual eps - those cost a tenth of the pilot) Show creator Bryan Fuller has never had any kind of coherent style, he just gloms off other people's and hopes nobody notices. With DEAD LIKE ME, it worked -- not so with WONDERFALLS or PUSHING DAISIES.

Blech! The sooner this annoyingly precious show is gone, the better.
FilmCritic3000
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:29 am  Reply with quote

Messiahman wrote:
I found it damn near unwatchable, disgustingly precious and self-aware. The twee narration. The unbearably cutesy cinematography that clearly cost a fortune. And the idiotic set-up. "There is no explanation for the protagonist having this ability, and not only are we not going to try to explain it, we will BRAG about not having an explanation, and act unutterably superior because we aren't going to explain it."

And it's derivative as hell -- they are clearly going for a Tim Burton In His Prime vibe (which they're not gonna get in the individual eps - those cost a tenth of the pilot) Show creator Bryan Fuller has never had any kind of coherent style, he just gloms off other people's and hopes nobody notices. With DEAD LIKE ME, it worked -- not so with WONDERFALLS or PUSHING DAISIES.

Oh, you. You won't be happy until She's The Sheriff returns to the airwaves. Mr. Green Laughing
Messiahman
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:22 pm  Reply with quote

Seriously, when there are truly exceptional shows like THE WIRE, MAD MEN, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA, THE SHIELD, THE OFFICE and CALIFORNICATION on the air, I'm not going to waste my time on this derivative, cutesy tripe. The only thing that would've made it worse is if the twee narration had been done in rhyme, and I'll bet that was in the first draft.

Yick. People are too easily impressed by style, particularly when there's no substance.

Oh, and the budget's already drastically out of control, so don't expect it to last too long.
Cthulhu23
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:25 pm  Reply with quote
Seeking the other 22 Cthulhus

I liked it quite a bit. Very different and it is filmed beautifully. It has a very "Big Fish" feel to it. I do agree with everyone however that says that it probably won't appeal to the masses, and thus will not last very long.
Terminal
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:52 pm  Reply with quote

Messiahman wrote:
Yick. People are too easily impressed by style, particularly when there's no substance.

That's pretty much the modern credo these days. Movies, TV shows, whatever, style always wins over texture.

The show is okay.... just okay. Out of 1-10, I'd give it a 5, really.

Though I agree with most of your points. Too cutesy, the narration held our hands from minute one, and a lot of the characters are one note. The ending was clunky too. Holding their own hands? Did someone from Hallmark get recruited.

I've seen worse, no doubt, but... yeah, not exceptional.

I prefer "Dead Like Me," in all honesty.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
FilmCritic3000
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:20 pm  Reply with quote

Terminal wrote:

That was the only thing that surprised me about Pushing Daisies - the sunnier disposition of the material. Bryan Fuller embued both Dead Like Me and Wonderfalls with a biting, caustic wit so it surprised me that this was a departure from that.

I'm very much looking forward to the direct-to-DVD Dead Like Me movie, even if Fuller is not involved.

I will have to agree to disagree with Messiahman. I really love Pushing Daisies and Bryan Fuller's work.
The Butcher
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:43 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Come on guys...It was faux/psuedo quirky to the max. It was like a more pablum and sentimental version of the already insepid "ED" but with a little safe death here and there. It's so aware of it's own quirkiness it's distracting. Cookie cutter characters, obvious dialog, and that "We'll hold our own hands behind our backs right next to each other because to touch is to die..." had me rolling my eyes.

The intro with the main character as the little boy would have been a much cooler show in my opinion. As I said, the way it is it's just "ED" with a twist.

This is a show for the masses who will think they are really cutting edge for watching it.

Boo.

Rolling Eyes
The Butcher
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:45 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Messiahman wrote:

DING!

EXACTLY EXACTLY EXACTLY.
Terminal
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:56 pm  Reply with quote

FilmCritic3000 wrote:
Terminal wrote:

That was the only thing that surprised me about Pushing Daisies - the sunnier disposition of the material. Bryan Fuller embued both Dead Like Me and Wonderfalls with a biting, caustic wit so it surprised me that this was a departure from that.

I'm very much looking forward to the direct-to-DVD Dead Like Me movie, even if Fuller is not involved.

I will have to agree to disagree with Messiahman. I really love Pushing Daisies and Bryan Fuller's work.

I much prefer the cynicism that wasn't as The Butcher put it, self aware. The series while not amazing, was damn good, as with Pushing Daisies, I'm not completely motivated to keep watching it. It's okay, but I'm not setting stuff aside to see it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Messiahman
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:57 pm  Reply with quote

Frankly, DEAD LIKE ME only got better after Fuller left the show four episodes into the first season.