FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Terror Tube -> True Blood
FilmCritic3000
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:57 pm  Reply with quote

Elf wrote:
Isn't this series baised off of the Southern Vampire Books by Cathrine Harris? I heard that HBO was in development to bring the book series to the small screen via a TV show. Could this be it?

(I just want a GOOD vampire show damn it. Blade was soooo disapointing. I miss Buffy and Angel, damnit.)

Yes, this is it.

As I've stated earlier, I hope Ball turns the terrible Anne Rice Xeroxes the novels are (complete with lame creatures like werejaguars) and actually makes something decent. I'll still watch due to Paquin's involvement but based solely on the terrible source material, I'm not that excited.
Messiahman
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:45 pm  Reply with quote

It's Alan Ball, the man who's responsible for SIX FEET UNDER, one of the best dramatic shows to ever air on television. The guy's completely brilliant.

Yeah, I'm pretty damn excited.
horrorqueen85
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:58 pm  Reply with quote

I will have to check this out...I loved Six Feet Under and if anyone could pull this off Alan Ball would be a great person to start with...Remember he did do the best ending of a series so far and six feet under had its own creepiness to it.
The Woman In Black
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:41 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Thrall

So, did anyone else watch the premiere last night? I dug it a lot ... and wrote up a quick review for the site. I think it has potential to be a real winner and would love to hear what others thought.
RingoJ
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:37 pm  Reply with quote

I've downloaded it, but not watched it yet.
Messiahman
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:11 am  Reply with quote

I found it to be mediocre with some major tonal problems. The vampire as homosexual metaphor was heavy-handed and obvious. It was campy where it should have been macabre, and the supporting characters were at turns dull and annoying. Much of the humor was forced, and the dialogue was often too on-the-nose for what I've come to expect from Alan Ball.

I'll give it one or two more eps to see if they iron out the kinks, but so far, this is not at all the slam dunk that HBO so desperately needs.

Between this and the dreadfully dull FRINGE pilot, it's not shaping up to be a good season for genre.

2.5 out of 5.
Scotto
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:28 pm  Reply with quote

I've learned that you have to give many HBO projects a lot of time to find their feet, so I'll do that with this one. But where Six Feet Under stumbled out of the blocks, it still had a very original premise. I'm a little worried about True Blood (spelled "Tru Blood" in the show, I think, although I don't know why) because it did come off very heavy-handed over the rather - excuse the pun - toothless material. Lots of forced direction, OTT southern dialog that wasn't as clever as it tried to be, weird sex and violence interjections, and a surprisingly uncharismatic vampire lead who can't fight. The whole thing managed to come off passe and unfamiliar with the territory at the same time. But again, I think it bears sticking with for a bit.

I did like the opening, though. HBO does the best show openings.
Sirand
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:42 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

It's a flawed show, but the mythos is interesting enough to stick with it. All great shows mature over time, so I'll stick with this and see what happens.
The Woman In Black
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:11 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Thrall

Scotto wrote:
weird sex and violence interjections, and a surprisingly uncharismatic vampire lead who can't fight.

The weird sex & violence was my favorite part! Laughing

I think Moyer is quite charismatic -- but I can see where others might have to warm up to him a bit since he really didn't do much in the first ep. other than brood and stare deeply into Paquin's eyes. I watched the featurettes HBO's been running so have a little better idea of what he's all about. And it wasn't that he can't fight -- they had wrapped him up in silver, which made him powerless. Kind of a cool twist I thought.

Mostly though I'm looking forward to meeting some of the other vamps -- they look a lot more interesting than Bill.

As for the spelling thing -- the show is "True" and the drink is "Tru".
Scotto
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:48 pm  Reply with quote

The Woman In Black wrote:
The weird sex & violence was my favorite part! Laughing

I certainly didn't object. It just seemed wedged into the plot apropos of very little. Gimmicky, I guess. But yeah, I'm not bemoaning the effort, either. Smile
Quote:
I think Moyer is quite charismatic -- but I can see where others might have to warm up to him a bit since he really didn't do much in the first ep. other than brood and stare deeply into Paquin's eyes.

That's exactly what I meant. They were really willing the chemistry between he and Anna's character, and I didn't see it, through no fault of hers, actually. It was as if Ball figured it would start any second now, so he kept them staring at each other.
Quote:
And it wasn't that he can't fight -- they had wrapped him up in silver, which made him powerless. Kind of a cool twist I thought.

I did catch that, but did you notice how things just "happened". When she found him he was just laying there as if he went down way too easy. And then when she scared them off, it was like shortcut theater. They just whinnied a bit and ran. Came off weird and contrived to me, when I thought they could have gone in any number of directions to have her save the day in a more interesting way.
Quote:
Mostly though I'm looking forward to meeting some of the other vamps -- they look a lot more interesting than Bill.

Agreed. Definitely need some merciless violence a la Fearnet's "30 Days" to balance out the Cosmo Teen vibe. At the moment, there's very little danger.
Quote:

I caught that, too, but felt having the two so close yet so far was a little sloppy. Just a personal thing, probably.
The Woman In Black
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:11 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Thrall

Scotto wrote:
The Woman In Black wrote:

I caught that, too, but felt having the two so close yet so far was a little sloppy. Just a personal thing, probably.

I agree totally -- It's very sloppy. And nerve-wracking to us who write about it to make sure we're talking about the right thing at the right time. I wonder if maybe they were originally going to go with Tru Blood for the title as well but the powers-that-be thought people would just think it was a mistake.

And I'm with you on the blood draining scenario also -- it did seem they overpowered him pretty easily. But since it was done off-camera, I gave them the benefit of the doubt of knowing certain tricks about how to take down a vamp since they seemingly do it all the time.
Mrs Peacock
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:09 pm  Reply with quote

So far it's relatively close to how the first book runs. I enjoy the books a great deal - they're interesting, fun, and far more lighthearted than say the Anne Rice vampire novels.

I had huge reservations about watching True Blood but wanted to give it a shot. I'm still on the fence for the most part but I'm pretty sure I liked it - I just need to see more of it to see where it's going to go. The first episode was just like putting your toe in the water as far as adapting it from Dead Until Dark.
Dr Malachi Constant
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:17 pm  Reply with quote
Awaiting a Nifty Title

I'll give the show a few more episodes before I make a decision regarding its quality, but that first episode had way too much of an Anne Rice vibe.

I hate Anne Rice.
The Woman In Black
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:09 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Thrall

Ouch! Ep. 2 really sucked (and not in a good way). Moyer's accent was all over the place, and the delivery of some of his lines was downright painful. They need to drop the Tara/Jason storyline asap -- it's ridiculously annoying. And that ending scene ... beyond cliche! I can't remember when I've been so disappointed in a follow-up to a series premiere that showed a lot of promise.
brainee
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:41 pm  Reply with quote

Messiahman wrote:
I found it to be mediocre with some major tonal problems. The vampire as homosexual metaphor was heavy-handed and obvious. It was campy where it should have been macabre, and the supporting characters were at turns dull and annoying. Much of the humor was forced, and the dialogue was often too on-the-nose for what I've come to expect from Alan Ball.

That pretty much sums up my response to the pilot. I thought Bill was developed nicely in the second episode, but the Tara/Jason scenes just didn't seem to add anything to story (other than remind us that Tara is obnoxious and Jason is dumb and horny).

I'm having problems with the pacing ... it seems like they're trying to stretch out a 2 hour movie's worth of story to 12 hours. Maybe this would be manageable with a compelling cast of characters, but the world of "True Blood" seems full of shallow stereotypes.