FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Best-cellars -> Richard Laymon's THE MIDNIGHT TOUR
Cash Bailey
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:17 am  Reply with quote

http://dreadcentral.com/index.php?name=Reviews&req=showcontent&id=1576

Although I'm thrilled to bits that Butane is actively pursuing Richard Laymon's amazing body of work, I can't wait until he gets around to reviewing more 'substantial' Laymon works.

The 'Beast House Trilogy' is all kinds of cool, but to be honest he's written so much better.

I know Americans are kind of restricted in the titles they have access to at the moment, but every time Butane posts a review I hope that some of the DC readers might pick up Laymon's books and spread the word. That way, you're sure to see more titles released.

If I could 'request' that Butane review certain Laymon books, I'd like to read his thoughts on ISLAND (a book I hated but so many Laymonites seem to love), THE NIGHT SHOW (the greatest anthology movie never made), IN THE DARK or THE TRAVELLING VAMPIRE SHOW.

Even his short story collection DREADFUL TALES has some absolute gold in it.
Caterpillar
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:44 am  Reply with quote

I read the UK edition of THE MIDNIGHT TOUR during last year's Christmas holiday. It's a ginormous book to be sure (it's actually longer than THE CELLAR and THE BEASTHOUSE combined) but I tore through it in three or four days. The whole trilogy is damn great and the fact that Laymon left things open for further sequels reminded me of his untimely death. I'd have been game for a 4th novel in the series!

ISLAND sounds utterly retarded from every review (especially the glowing ones) and summary I have ever read for it.
Johnny Butane
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:32 pm  Reply with quote
Elf Fluffer

Yeah, I wish I had time to go out and read any and all Laymon titles that exist right now, but because of my schedule and obligations I'm left with waiting for Leisure to put it out before I have a reason to pick them up.

I've read quite a bit of his so far (though nowhere near all of it) and I have to say the Beast House stories are my least favorite of his stuff. He was a better writer than these stories allowed him to be, I think.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address