FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Best-cellars -> Best current Marvel titles?
The Butcher
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:17 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Need some reccomendations of something I can jump into, or catch up on within 6 back issues or so.

Thanks.
EvilRex
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:01 pm  Reply with quote

I grew up a true Marvel fan, but over the past couple years I have found a good majority of Marvel's titles lacking and have been neck deep in DC. I was hugely disappointed in both House of M and Civil War. Marvel just seems to be comfortable in mediocrity right now.

Try the Planet Hulk business. It was good story arc for the character and brings us to the current World War Hulk event going on.

Astonishing X-Men is the best X-Men title, but I see they're giving new direction to some of the X-Men titles with the release of X-Men #200 so it may be a good starting point.

Can't go wrong with Punisher MAX. Ennis delivers some good vigilante/revenge story arcs there.

Also there's Squadron Supreme which I felt was a good story about superhero archetypes in our reality. Pretty dark.
Cthulhu23
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:26 pm  Reply with quote
Seeking the other 22 Cthulhus

I didn't even know that Ennis was doing Punisher again!
conundrum
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:18 am  Reply with quote

The real good marvel stuff?

New Avengers - you can go back about 3 issues and be caught up on the story, AND Marvel's next big arc after WWH

Runaways - interesting book that just started a new run under Joss Whedon, so it is hard to go wrong there

Loners - I am partial to this spinoff from "Runaways" with another great concept - ex-heroes trying to come to grips with who they used to be and are now

Ghost Rider and Moonknight - they would both take more than 6 issues, but are some really good stuff

Aside from that a lot of the stuff out there is either not that great or would need a decent amount of knowledge of the Marvel universe.

And Evilrex, House of M was really disappointing, but I think that Civil War is going to make a lot more sense by the end of this year. I could never get into DC myself. The heroes are too damn powerful in general. I mean Marvel has heroes that strong, but they end up in the galactic conflicts (like Annihilation) where I feel they belong.
EvilRex
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:01 pm  Reply with quote

conundrum wrote:

And Evilrex, House of M was really disappointing, but I think that Civil War is going to make a lot more sense by the end of this year. I could never get into DC myself. The heroes are too damn powerful in general. I mean Marvel has heroes that strong, but they end up in the galactic conflicts (like Annihilation) where I feel they belong.

Depending on where World War Hulk takes the Marvel stories will determine the ultimate success of Civil War. Marvel is trying to max out on purchases by having the main story line weak (ie, Civil War just glorifying the art while providing minimum story development) and forcing readers to pick-up all the branching issues (the Captain America's and Iron Man's and Avenger's) to get the rest of the story while they also shove in your face special limited series like Civil War:X-Men which have absolutely nothing to do the actual story and are sub-par stories at best. I have not been impressed by anything Marvel has done since Age of Apocalypse in the 90's. Now, THAT was an event.

Right now the best in comic creators are at DC (imo). The writing is great and the publishers are willing to take risks to redevelop the established characters while giving all-but-forgotten ones new life.
the blade
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:52 pm  Reply with quote

I reccomend the first arc of moon knight. The trade paperback is either out for the first 6 issues or will be out soon. The guy who was drawing new avengers (finch I think) rdrew these. Very dark and brooding story
conundrum
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:25 am  Reply with quote

EvilRex wrote:
Right now the best in comic creators are at DC (imo). The writing is great and the publishers are willing to take risks to redevelop the established characters while giving all-but-forgotten ones new life.

Odd. I feel that way about Marvel.
EvilRex
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:10 pm  Reply with quote

conundrum wrote:
EvilRex wrote:

Odd. I feel that way about Marvel.

To be fair, it may be possible I feel the way I do because I grew up with nothing but Marvel. My exposure to DC characters were through tv/film mediums. I knew very little about their comic incarnations.

So after 25+ years of Marvel, I gave DC a shot (I got swept up from the Identity Crisis buzz and so got on board with Ifinite Crisis and 52 as well as new titles Checkmate, Justice League, Justice Society, etc) and just dug a lot of the ideas and themes the creators were doing.
Dr Malachi Constant
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:18 am  Reply with quote
Awaiting a Nifty Title

Haven't bought a comic in years, but I read something about this World War Hulk business a few weeks ago and nearly had a geekgasm.
the blade
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:46 pm  Reply with quote

hulk is kicking ass and taking names.
Mr. Bonejack Jr.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:41 pm  Reply with quote

World War Hulk is awesome. I think it's better than Civil War.

The Punisher MAX is awesome stuff. No spandex and straight up violence.

Captain America is really good right now too.
the blade
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:09 am  Reply with quote

I agree world war hulk is better than civil war was.
EvilRex
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:57 pm  Reply with quote

I think Marvel is finally getting something right again with World War Hulk. House of M was too convoluted, Civil War was too much "soapbox".

WWH actually has a very intriguing blur between good guys and bad guys. If you had been reading the Planet Hulk series then you have experienced the arcs of both the Hulk and his Warbound. It can be argued that Hulk is justified in seeking the vengeance he desires.

On the other hand, if you are any kind of long time Marvel fan then you know the ups and downs the Heroes have had when it came to dealing with Hulk. Even when he was the Professor Hulk he was a pain in the ass to deal with even if he wasn't going on rampages. So, you can see why the Illuminati blasted his ass into space and now why they are justified to use any means necessary to end him for good.

Really good writing and I'm quit enjoying it.
the blade
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:54 am  Reply with quote

Red hulks coming. be prepared !!!!!!!!!!!