FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> Sony discontinues the 60 PS3 after markdown!
Uncle Creepy
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:27 am  Reply with quote
Pop Culture Icon

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=26704

They do one thing right and then fuck us right in the ass.

Amazing!
Kryten Syxx
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:36 am  Reply with quote

so the PS3 will only be available in the 80gb version for $599 after July. Great idea.
Chainsaw
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:03 am  Reply with quote

Location: DON'T TOUCH MY BAGS IF YOU PLEASE. MR. CUSTOMS MAN!

If the Sony console line goes under, they fully deserve it. In less than a week, Kaz Harai has lost control of his company.

But don't think it's just America and Japan that Sony hates. They also can't stand the Crown states, either.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6173987.html?action=convert&om_clk=latestnews&tag=latestnews;title;4

"Guaranteed adventures for every citizen should be in the Bill of Rights."-Sam Hell
Chainsaw
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:18 am  Reply with quote

http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=25772777&sid=6174974

Now they say he's misquoted, and they STILL look like morons.

"Guaranteed adventures for every citizen should be in the Bill of Rights."-Sam Hell
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:00 pm  Reply with quote

Chainsaw wrote:
http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=25772777&sid=6174974

Now they say he's misquoted, and they STILL look like morons.

So much for that...

SCEI CEO tells Norwegian television that Sony won't have a two-price strategy in the US market, SCEA says $499 model will be available "for months."
By Tor Thorsen, GameSpot
Posted Jul 13, 2007 1:14 pm PT

SANTA MONICA, Calif.--Today, the E3 Media & Business Summit wound down in Santa Monica, with at least one exhibitor having already packed up and left the show floor at Barker Hangar. However, this morning saw the biggest controversy of the show heat up, with a maelstrom of confusion surrounding the $499 price drop of the 60GB PS3, which was just announced Monday.

Last night, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe CEO David Reeves told GameSpot that the discounting was merely a markdown of a model which had been discontinued. Just hours later, his statements appeared to be contradicted by a senior Sony Computer Entertainment America spokesperson, who said that quotes from Reeves in the press were "not accurate."

"As announced this week, SCEA's product offering in North America consists of an 80GB PS3 available in August at $599 and a 60GB PS3 available now for $499," SCEA senior director of corporate communications Dave Karraker told GameSpot. "We have will have ample supplies of both models to meet the needs of our consumers for the foreseeable future."

At almost the same time, a television interview with the global head of Sony Computer Entertainment settled the matter once and for all. Speaking to Norwegian game-news outlet VGTV, SCEI president and group CEO Kaz Hirai said in no uncertain terms that the 60GB PS3's days are numbered.

"From a hardware perspective, the $499 price adjustment we did for the 60GB version for the American market, we're no longer in production for that product," he said in an unedited on-camera interview. "Once that product is gone from the retailer shelves, then we're back to a $599 SKU only, so it's not like we have a two-price strategy in the US market. We found out very early on how consumers react to having just one SKU as opposed to two."

SCEA has subsequently confirmed the phase out, but emphasized that it would be gradual. "The 60GB PS3 will be available in North America for $499 until supplies of that unit are depleted," Karraker told GameSpot in a follow-up interview. "We have ample inventory to meet the immediate needs of consumers in this territory for several months to come."

Karraker also responded to criticism that loudly promoting the new $499 price point while quietly discontinuing its production amounted to a bait and switch. "This is absolutely not a bait and switch," he said. "We are offering a full featured PS3 for $100 lower than the original price and will do so for months to come, allowing consumers the opportunity to acquire this model at this adjusted price."

http://e3.gamespot.com/story.html?sid=6175011&pid=928393&tag=top_stories;title;28
Kryten Syxx
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:08 pm  Reply with quote

Hmmm, if the 20gb $499 model wasn't selling well before it was phased out, what makes them think the 60gb model will? It is doubtful that the supply will run out anytime soon, so look forward to lots of $499 models sitting around stores during Christmas.

Sony is refusing to learn from its mistakes. Their philosophy of 'we got the best products eva! That means they are worth 2x more than the competition! isn't holding up well.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:23 pm  Reply with quote

Kryten Syxx wrote:

Sony is refusing to learn from its mistakes. Their philosophy of 'we got the best products eva! That means they are worth 2x more than the competition! isn't holding up well.

What I don't get is that they don't learn from MS mistakes either...They have a good system that isn't selling...Here's my take on why...

The fact is, PS and PS2 offered something WHOLEY different from their launch...PS offered CD based gameplay that wasn't an add on and wasn't overpriced and PS2 offered DVD playback, backwards compatibility, and an affordable price...

XBOX suffered from being the unproven name on the block...But was a better system than PS2 in every way...But still people loved their PS2...And each year it became cheaper...

What's the common theme? MONEY!...The average consumer who is part of this huge install base sees $300 as worth it...But that seems to be the cut off...After that it's hard to convince the average gamer that $400, $500 and most certainly $600 is a good price for essentially a game machine...We're not at the point we were technology wise when PS2 came out with DVD playback...In order to get the full benefit of Bluray one must also have a HD TV...For DVD, your plain, old TV would work just fine so all you needed was the machine...

Not to mention that the economy isn't all that great right now...And certainly worse than it was in 2000...
PrairieGhost
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:34 am  Reply with quote

Sony has no clue what they want to do. When the $199 core 360 (packaged with a memory unit) comes out (which will be soon) sony will be done for.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kryten Syxx
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:53 am  Reply with quote

The Sony/PS name alone is no longer driving sales ... only blatant fanboyism (aka name calling and other childish things) is left. Somehow any story about the consumer losing out is spun into a positive thing with some of these PS soldiers in the ficitional console war.

Right now the apologists are saying that the out-phasing 60gb model is a great deal at $499 since you would have to pay more to make the XBOX Elite do the same thing (adding the overpriced wireless adaptor and HD-DVD drive). The problem with that logic is that Sony forces those things on you. You have no choice and the damn thing still doesn't come with HDMI cables -- the Elite, however, does.

Elite = $479 w/ High Def cables, 120gb drive.

Out-phased PS3 = $499 w/ standard def cables, 60gb drive, wireless capabilities, a free online community and a Blu-ray player.

To get the Elite up to and surpass the PS3 in features a consumer would have to pay $348, but that number isn't right since the Elites HDD would be twice the size. So knock off about $90 and an additional $39 since HDD cables are already included and you have $219. All together it would cost $698 to have XBOX Live gold, wireless connectivity, the same disc space (which is why $90 was cut from it), and HDMI cables.

See the give and take, and also take into consideration that MS gives the consumer the ability to pick and choose what he/she wants in the system.

Sony's online plan is still "you get what you pay for" in terms of service and so on. But for just $50 a year you can have a proven online gaming experience that is actually expanding fast as we've seen just one year into the 360's life.

The PS3 controllers lack rumble, have not really evolved and ripped the central button right off the 360's layout. The Bluetooth connection is also iffy. On several occasion through just one gaming session my controller and my friends controller went nuts. The bad thing is it was not limited to my system. His controllers do the same thing on his PS3. (Also worth mentioning was that both our PS3s were D.O.A. and had to be returned to the store or to Sony)

RFOM was great for the first ... 6 months?Come on now! We're talking about the biggest name in video game consoles coming out of the gate with a very poor selection. Was any of this thought out?!

Sony's overconfidence in consumer loyalty is their biggest downfall so far. PS fans wanted a game console. Great, you allowed it to play Blu-ray but you never gave the customer a choice, MS did. In the future high-def DVDs may play a roll as far as capacity goes, but right now few developers are really worried about storage.
Sirand
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:23 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

I remember when Sony was dominating the market. Never in a million years thought the PS3 would tank so hard, but here it is. Way to fuck themselves.
Kryten Syxx
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:41 pm  Reply with quote

The funny thing about it is that many Sony fans just cannot accept the fact that their beloved Playstation is losing. The spin is far worse than anything we've ever seen on Fox News. Hell, Fox should look into hiring them to make the Iraq war look like a success!

For far too long have many consumers just played by Sony's rules, refusing to rise up and demand a better deal (the useless FF only HDD drive that was never expanded on, anyone?).

This giant kick to the crotch may be just what the giant S needs to finally realize that constantly fucking over your fanbase/customers is not a wise business practice. Making things hard not only on those wishing to purchase a new Playstation but the developers as well who are having a fucking hard time (except, for some reason, the companies Sony bought) getting things to run better on the supposedly far superior hardware found inside the PS3. How many times did we hear how it was so much better on forums and from Sony press? Yet, we are not really seeing the end result being as mind blowing when stacked next to what we've been seeing from MS's camp for almost 2 years now.

Things may change around the spring of 2008 when the big titles roll out, but not much is left on the plate for Christmas '07.

Speaking of the PS3's lack of blockbuster titles for the holiday season I have a suspicion about what may happen.

I am almost feel an announcement around the corner from Sony revealing that all their MMO titles (Matrix Online, Star Wars Galaxies and so on) will be hastily ported to the struggling system with a one month free trial for all new users.

It may be crazy, but it is a good shot at getting them out of the red for at least a critical month during the busiest time of the year.
Chainsaw
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:32 am  Reply with quote

Kryten Syxx wrote:

I am almost feel an announcement around the corner from Sony revealing that all their MMO titles (Matrix Online, Star Wars Galaxies and so on) will be hastily ported to the struggling system with a one month free trial for all new users.

Considering how poorly that Star Wars Galaxies and Matrix Online turned out(first caused a massive exodus when Sony changed things in the game to accomodate newbies, second was doomed from the start), I don't see that being the answer that Sony needs. So, naturally, that's exactly what they'll probably do.

Cash Bailey
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:03 pm  Reply with quote

It's as close as Sony will ever come to admitting that the PS3 has been a complete disaster.
LSD Zombie
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:38 am  Reply with quote

This isn't the same Sony I know from the PS and PS2 years....it's really pathetic to see how far they have fallen.
Kryten Syxx
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:26 pm  Reply with quote

Actually, it is the same Sony that brought us the PS2. The underutilized HDD, the chaotic and uniformed online network, early production flaws that were never addressed until much later. Sounds about the same.