FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Shiver Shack -> Rob Zombie's Halloween
Tobe Romero
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:41 pm  Reply with quote

from http://www.halloweenmovies.com/

Quote:
QUESTION: Why do you feel that you are the person to take on this project? (from Anna in Florida)
RZ: Because I have a vision that I believe can work. If I didn't I would go near it.

QUESTION: Can you please clarify what you mean when you say you are "not making a sequel" and that your Halloween will be a "re-imagining" of the series? Isn't that just another word for "remake"? (from Cole in Chicago)
RZ: Well, sort of. I am basically making a prequel and a semi-remake of the first film all in one. So really in theory there will be more original content than remake content. That's why I don't like the word "remake."

QUESTION: What is the title of the next movie, and are you finished with the script yet? What can you reveal about the storyline of the new movie? (from Eric in Canada)
RZ: HALLOWEEN, no and not much.

QUESTION: For the next film, are you planning to maybe go into what Michael's childhood was like and how and why he became the serial killer he is? Is it at least going to take place in 1978? (from Sylvain)
RZ: Yes, I think this aspect of the story is very important in order to bring new life to the character of Michael Myers. The film begins in 1978.

QUESTION: Halloween is the most influential horror movie ever made and I for one am not happy about a remake. All of the remakes to hit theaters - from Texas Chainsaw to The Omen - were total crap. Why touch a classic like Halloween? Why would you even risk this? (from Mike in New York)
RZ: Like I said in Question 1, I wouldn't even go near this project if I didn't feel like a had a fresh, worthwhile approach to the material. Besides, I'm not touching one single frame of Carpenter's classic. That film will remain as it always has.

QUESTION: The masks in the past 4 Halloween films were all different, and some of them weren't scary. Are you going to re-design the mask, or will you stick to the Captain Kirk version that was used in the original film? (from Todd)
RZ: I want to keep the mask classic.

QUESTION: Are you you planning on using any previous characters from the first 8 films (like Laurie Strode and Dr. Loomis) or are you planning something entirely new with no old characters? (from Jamie in Scotland)
RZ: Both, but I won't tell you which just yet.

QUESTION: Since you are a musician, will you be doing the entire music score for the film, or will you be collaborating with anyone else? And will you integrate any of John Carpenter's classic themes into the score? (from Craig)
RZ: I do not plan on doing the score for this film myself other than in a supervisor position. I have already done some work with the composer and we both feel that Carpenter's themes are classic and will play an important role.

QUESTION: Your films are known for their gore, but the Halloween films haven't been very gory, they have been more suspensful. Do you plan to focus on gore or suspense in your version of Halloween? (from Paula)
RZ: I plan to focus on character, mood and terror.

QUESTION: How does John Carpenter feel about your involvement in the new Halloween? (from Zack in Georgia)
RZ: I talked to John about it and he was vey supportive. He basically said, "That's great Rob, go for it and make it your own." What more do I need?

* thought someone might dig readin that ...

so ... remake or prequel?
Fulci
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:46 pm  Reply with quote

If anyone was to remake that besides Carpenter, Im glad its him.
Sirand
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:08 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

I don't like that they're just calling it 'Halloween'. If it ain't a remake, then don't name it after the Carpenter movie. Add a subtitle, dammit!
Morgan Elektra
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:14 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

I'm not, as a rule, a remake fan... but the answers he gives there give me hope. The whole 'he's just evil' thing never really sat well with me, so anything that goes into his childhood more and explores his psyche intrigues me.

At this point, I'm reserving judgement. But I agree they should add a little something into the titel to differentiate, like with Batman Begins... makes it stand out.

"Death, without dread of death, is welcome death." - Seneca
Intheend
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:33 pm  Reply with quote

I agree with Fulci. I'm glad Rob is at the helm. Not a big fan of the word "re-imagining", and sure hell not a fanboy of the "remake". But, I am confident in Zombie, I think that he will contribute his own twisted personal touch, to one of the greatest horror franchises ever made. To be honest, I think the series needed a fresh breath of air, considering the last two films, H20 and Resurrection were by far the weakest in the series..IMHO. Rob has advanced greatly with his directing since HO1KC, and I am confident, justice will be served with the ninth installment.
Twisted Evil
Fulci
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:42 pm  Reply with quote

It's also totaly cool of Carpenter to give RZ that much freedom
BlackFlagg
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:44 pm  Reply with quote

Looking forward to seeing where Rob takes this.
Sirand
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:52 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

I just hope the Weinsteins don't fuck with Zombie and let him do his things. How many horror films has Dimension ruined now?
Morgan Elektra
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:55 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Yeah.... this is entirely true, Sirand. That's often where things 'gang agly' as it were.

"Death, without dread of death, is welcome death." - Seneca
RustyMuffler
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:21 am  Reply with quote

There are so many good and bad things about this, it could go either way. But the one thing that I think everyone can agree on is that, if you had a short list of people that you would want to see try their hand at this series, I am sure that Rob would be on a ton of people's lists. I'm gonna pogo on this until some images or info crop up, and probably even after that. But I like what he is saying so far. And after Rejects... I have total faith in the guy when it comes to delivering an old school 70's era horror flick.
ZoMBieCloWN
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:33 am  Reply with quote

Some remakes suck.

Some are good.

Some I love.

Some I hate.

I hold Rob in very high reguards as both a writer and director.

The Halloween franchise has been going down the chute.

I can't see him making it worse.

I am actually looking forward to this VERY much.

http://thedivinehorror.blogspot.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tristan Sinns
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:38 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

I'm can't help but be on the fence about this. Part of me groans but I give that he might do a good job. I realize this has been said in similar situations 100 times before, but I just wish he was doing some brand new slasher (even if based in the 70's) rather than stickin' that old franchise's name on this one.
The Last Exorcism
Piranha 3D
The Woman In Black
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:38 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Thrall

ZoMBieCloWN wrote:
Some remakes suck.

Some are good.

Some I love.

Some I hate.

I hold Rob in very high reguards as both a writer and director.

The Halloween franchise has been going down the chute.

I can't see him making it worse.

I am actually looking forward to this VERY much.

Couldn't agree more. Thanks for saving me the typing time, ZC!
ZoMBieCloWN
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:43 am  Reply with quote

You know I got ya back, WIB!

OG's

http://thedivinehorror.blogspot.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Borgosi
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:32 am  Reply with quote

RustyMuffler wrote:
There are so many good and bad things about this, it could go either way. But the one thing that I think everyone can agree on is that, if you had a short list of people that you would want to see try their hand at this series, I am sure that Rob would be on a ton of people's lists. I'm gonna pogo on this until some images or info crop up, and probably even after that. But I like what he is saying so far. And after Rejects... I have total faith in the guy when it comes to delivering an old school 70's era horror flick.

A short list of people to do the remake? I don't have a list at all. It shouldn't be done and I'm not a big Halloween fan. I just think that if you're going to change the story as much as it sounds, why not just give the thing a completely new title? I'm not really crazy about Zombie's first two movies but I think he's better than having to re-make movies. It just seems like they're cashing in on the title.

If I see it, it will be on cable. Or maybe video but not in a theater.

Last edited by Borgosi on Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total