FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Terror Tube -> The Dead Zone Season 6
Lunablix
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:28 pm  Reply with quote
Little Fucker

I just watched the season premiere last night and has anyone else seen it?

*SPOILERS*

WTF?!?!?! First the change the kid that plays JJ who I really don't like because he looks nothing like the other one in fact he looks the opposite so you don't get that feeling that he's Johnny's & Sarah's kid. And then they kill off Walt. Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked I really liked his character. But I have a feeling this may be it's last season because all of these changes.
Messiahman
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:54 pm  Reply with quote

I stopped watching in Season 3 when it became clear that they were just repeating themselves ad nauseum. The formula pretty much always the same: Johnny has a vision but can't figure out what it means, he's compelled to investigate to help out a friend or someone he meets, and he ends up in a race against time to save the day. If there's a fiery explosion, all the better.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Moving it away from the mytharc and gearing it more toward doing strictly episodic stories really crashed this series for me. Doesn't sound like I'm missing out on much.
Lunablix
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:19 am  Reply with quote
Little Fucker

Messiahman wrote:
I stopped watching in Season 3 when it became clear that they were just repeating themselves ad nauseum. The formula pretty much always the same: Johnny has a vision but can't figure out what it means, he's compelled to investigate to help out a friend or someone he meets, and he ends up in a race against time to save the day. If there's a fiery explosion, all the better.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Moving it away from the mytharc and gearing it more toward doing strictly episodic stories really crashed this series for me. Doesn't sound like I'm missing out on much.

But doesn't all tv shows do that ? I can name atleast 5 right off the top of my head that does the same exact thing. I dunno
Messiahman
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:38 am  Reply with quote

Lunablix wrote:
Messiahman wrote:

Lather, rinse, repeat.

But doesn't all tv shows do that ? I can name atleast 5 right off the top of my head that does the same exact thing. I dunno

If a show that only runs between 11 and 13 eps a season is already recycling its plotlines in the third season, that's a problem to me. When the Apocalypse story got dialed back, it just became JOHNNY SMITH: PSYCHIC INVESTIGATOR. That's when I knew I was done watching it.
Lunablix
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:37 pm  Reply with quote
Little Fucker

Messiahman wrote:
Lunablix wrote:
Messiahman wrote:

Lather, rinse, repeat.

If a show that only runs between 11 and 13 eps a season is already recycling its plotlines in the third season, that's a problem to me. When the Apocalypse story got dialed back, it just became JOHNNY SMITH: PSYCHIC INVESTIGATOR. That's when I knew I was done watching it.

Well then maybe you should watch seasons 4 & 5 before saying that because the whole Stillson plot line was big in those. And if you rush that plot line then what's there left to do since one of the biggests plots in the movie was him stopping Stillson. And like I said before there are many many tv that are praised and very good that do the same thing with repeating the same basic plot line just changing characters around. I dunno
Messiahman
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:29 pm  Reply with quote

Lunablix wrote:
Well then maybe you should watch seasons 4 & 5 before saying that because the whole Stillson plot line was big in those.

From what I've read, the mytharc only showed up in one or two eps in both those seasons, and all the rest deal with the same tired old Johnny investigation stories. No thanks.

Lunablix wrote:
And if you rush that plot line then what's there left to do since one of the biggests plots in the movie was him stopping Stillson. And like I said before there are many many tv that are praised and very good that do the same thing with repeating the same basic plot line just changing characters around. I dunno

The thing is, I don't watch those shows. I watch the interesting ones that don't consistently recycle plots and characters ad nauseum. Shows like THE SOPRANOS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA, THE WIRE, LOST, etc., all of which are constantly improving on themselves and striving to do things they haven't done before multiple times. I could give a shit about dull episodic procedurals like CSI or BONES. I prefer to see a single story well-told, not a different story every week told in a mediocre fashion. And I'm not attacking YOU for liking it, just stating my reasons for no longer watching -- it became derivative, redundant and illogical.
Lunablix
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:31 pm  Reply with quote
Little Fucker

Messiahman wrote:
Lunablix wrote:
Well then maybe you should watch seasons 4 & 5 before saying that because the whole Stillson plot line was big in those.

From what I've read, the mytharc only showed up in one or two eps in both those seasons, and all the rest deal with the same tired old Johnny investigation stories. No thanks.

Lunablix wrote:
And if you rush that plot line then what's there left to do since one of the biggests plots in the movie was him stopping Stillson. And like I said before there are many many tv that are praised and very good that do the same thing with repeating the same basic plot line just changing characters around. I dunno

The thing is, I don't watch those shows. I watch the interesting ones that don't consistently recycle plots and characters ad nauseum. Shows like THE SOPRANOS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA, THE WIRE, LOST, etc., all of which are constantly improving on themselves and striving to do things they haven't done before multiple times. I could give a shit about dull episodic procedurals like CSI or BONES. I prefer to see a single story well-told, not a different story every week told in a mediocre fashion. And I'm not attacking YOU for liking it, just stating my reasons for no longer watching -- it became derivative, redundant and illogical.

I don't know where you read that but a lot of the stories had to deal with the whole Stillson problem. I don't want to give away anything just in case.

Okie dokie I didn't say you were. Out of those you mentioned I only watch The Sopranos (well I did til cable went bye bye) But even that has the same basic storyline of Tony dealing with being in the mob. Don't get me wrong it's one of my favorite shows but it does have that basic outline that's just presented differently each time. I was just trying to figure out how one doesn't see that each show out there has the basic outline. Some just do it differently. The only ones that I can see that don't fit that are shows like The Twilight Zone where each story was different.
Messiahman
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:05 am  Reply with quote

Lunablix wrote:
Okie dokie I didn't say you were. Out of those you mentioned I only watch The Sopranos (well I did til cable went bye bye) But even that has the same basic storyline of Tony dealing with being in the mob. Don't get me wrong it's one of my favorite shows but it does have that basic outline that's just presented differently each time. I was just trying to figure out how one doesn't see that each show out there has the basic outline. Some just do it differently. The only ones that I can see that don't fit that are shows like The Twilight Zone where each story was different.

I think you're misunderstanding me here. There's a vast difference between a show sticking to its central premise and a show repeating itself. What I'm saying is that the PREMISE established by THE DEAD ZONE's writing staff, that of centering the bulk of eps around Johnny Smith and filler-ish pyschic investigations is limiting and dull. The novel it's based on was a closed story that quite obviously made Johnny's character a Christ metaphor, and it played that out perfectly. Using the Stillson storyline as an endlessly dragged-out arc that is only touched on very occasionally and never resolved severely mutes that -- and the repetitive investigation episodes ultimately just recycle themselves ad nauseum. There's no real room for growth here, and the premise was expended fairly early on. It's just CSI with a psychic and less blood.

The premise of THE SOPRANOS is entirely different -- it's not simpy an episodic show, but rather a show about a family's growth and change. Writing it off as simply a show about a guy in the mob seems to me to be missing its point entirely, because the show really isn't about the mob at all. That's certainly much more layered, textured and poetic than THE DEAD ZONE in my book. THE SOPRANOS actually showed story growth, whereas THE DEAD ZONE just lost its momentum and started to stagnate early on.