FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Rated Ex -> Are Troma films exploitation?
Tsotha-lanti
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:28 pm  Reply with quote

I've occasionally seem them described as so, which I can understand due to the whole push-the-boundaries-of-good-taste attitude, but I'll have to say no based solely on my (admittedly limited) experience with "real" exploitation films: Those few exploitation films I've seen took themselves quite seriously (they certainly weren't intentionally cheesy the same way a typical Troma movie is), and if there is one word you can NEVER call a Troma product, it's serious.
I've got a wheel inside my head,
The wheel of understanding!
Melissa Bostaph
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:19 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

In my opinion Troma films are definitely exploitive to a ridiculous degree when it comes to certain topics , but I wouldn't personally consider them exploitation.

Troma doesn't take anything seriously (which is what is so appealing to its fans), while most exploitation delves into very serious subjects, and for the most part in a serious manner.

Of course there are exceptions to every rule. Exploitation style films such as Irreversible, In A Glass Cage and Flower and Snake take very sober approaches to equally somber subject matter, while there are other exploitation titles that use the most absurd manners in which to relay their point or non-point (whichever the case may be) that the films are nonsensical whirlwinds of insanity. (ie: Crazy Lips and Visitor Q)

Neither style of filmmaking is any less enjoyable depending on the fan, nor is either style the "right or wrong" way to make exploitation films.

It all comes down to the taste of the viewer, but as for Troma being Ex... I still say no. To me they are more satirical, gross-out films than anything else, but still LOADS of fun!

And Lloyd is just as crazy in person as he is on-screen! Laughing
Tsotha-lanti
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:29 pm  Reply with quote

I believe it was Troma which inspired Peter Jackson to make Bad Taste, which ironically is much better known than most Troma films.

You also mentioned Visitor Q - it's madcap humourous, but I still get a vibe from Miike that he is still much more serious in his intents, even when making comedies, than Kauffman and friends usually are. Or perhaps that's just because Miike has arthouse cred coming out every orifice.
I've got a wheel inside my head,
The wheel of understanding!
Melissa Bostaph
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:42 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Troma may have been a factor in Bad Taste, but are you implying that Bad Taste is exploitation? I don't consider it to be IMO. It falls into the gross-out flick category for me.

I agree that Miike's films always seem to have a serious undertone no matter how nuts they get. That's part of the reason they don't get thrown into a category with Troma films for me.

There is no comparison between Toxie or Redneck Zombies and a creepy dad who fucks corpses or a lactating woman who floods a whole room! Laughing

edit:

The more I think about this question the more I wonder if my initial reaction was wrong. Thinking back on Tromeo and Juliet and a few other Troma films I've seen (which admitedly I haven't seen even a fraction of the Troma line-up...which is like 20 miles long) I guess there are definitely Troma films that would probably fit the exploitation bill. They're just a different style. More along the lines of other preposterous titles. I just can't go as far as to group Troma films as a whole into Exploitation.
Coryses
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:07 am  Reply with quote

So I've been watching Troma films and films that Troma have bought the rights to and sold for close to 15 years now and I've got the tattoo to prove it hehe (not trying to sound cocky!) and I think if Troma exploits anything it's that they exploit b-movies and horror films...I mean it kinda makes sense cuz they take all the good stuff make it funny and add even more grossness to it and there you go they exploit horror and b. Ok maybe thats going to far, but I know they do have some films that they have the rights to and sell from the 70's that would definitely be called exploitation.