FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews


Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Message
Forums Index -> The Terror Tube -> Angel Co-Creator To Exec Produce/Run New CBS Vampire Show
FilmCritic3000
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:00 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 2683
Location: Savannah, Georgia

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/television/news/e3ic037e503baf6e57c2233c754efeb30c9

Wow. My excitement level for this just shot up.
_________________
"I hate all sports as rabidly as a person who likes sports hates common sense." - H. L. Mencken
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
GODHOOD
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:08 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 357
Location: Orlando, FL

I agree, Greenwalt has already retooled the series and making cast changes. I'm definitely checking it out.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Messiahman
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:30 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 3019
Location: Hollywood

A show about a vampire P.I.? My God, how original! Razz

Honestly, I think Greenwalt's okay, but he seems to do his best when working with others' visions. His most notable work was on ANGEL, BUFFY and THE X-FILES -- all shows that were other people's babies.

On his own, he produces stuff like JAKE 2.0. Neutral

I'll check this out, but cautiously. Alan Ball's vamp show for HBO, TRUE BLOOD, sounds a helluva lot more interesting. Of course, Alan Ball is a friggin' genius, as well.
_________________
"According to witnesses, testimony and evidence...this massacre was the work of ninjas!"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GODHOOD
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:04 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 357
Location: Orlando, FL

Messiahman wrote:


On his own, he produces stuff like JAKE 2.0. Neutral



I think Jake 2.0 is one of his better shows, the later episodes were getting more on the dark side. "Upgrade" (the last episode) which Greenwalt co-wrote had Jake not wanting to kill people even though it's part of his job, the scene at the end where he shoots the assassin in the head and seeing Jake's face not showing much emotion about it was kind of chilling. It's a shame that we will never see how the series would have evolved just like another one of his shows called "Miracles".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Messiahman
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:08 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 3019
Location: Hollywood

I enjoyed JAKE 2.0 even more when it was called NOW AND AGAIN. And MIRACLES started out quite intriguingly but lapsed quickly into formula. Honestly, the most interesting thing Greenwalt was ever involved with was PROFIT, though that one belonged just as much to John McNamara. Like I said, Greenwalt is a competent writer, but no televisionary, and I predict right now that this new series (trite, tired concept and all) will be gone after only a handful of eps. What Greenwalt really needs is for Whedon to come back to TV. He did his best work under him.
_________________
"According to witnesses, testimony and evidence...this massacre was the work of ninjas!"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GODHOOD
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:58 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 357
Location: Orlando, FL

Messiahman wrote:
I enjoyed JAKE 2.0 even more when it was called NOW AND AGAIN.


More like "The Six Million Dollar Man", there are few inside jokes mentioned and shown several times on Jake 2.0. No, Greenwalt doesn't need Whedon since he's done a good job on his own. Your predictions don't always come true, Ghost Whisperer is still on the air.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Elf
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:08 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 261

Messiahman wrote:
What Greenwalt really needs is for Whedon to come back to TV. He did his best work under him.


I think what we all need is for Whedon to come back to TV. Seriously. I mean, I love the Buffy eight season comic books and there'll be an Angel season six in comics, but . . . Damn it, I want my Whedon TV.

Still, I'm a vamp junkie and I'll check this show out. Greenwalt isn't as strong of a writer as say Ben Englund or Jeff Bell were or even David Petrie. The best episode of Buffy he did was "Angel" and the best episode of Angel he wrote was . . . well, the season finale of the first season.

He's a competent writer, but this is sort of sounding like Angel 2.0. Hopefully there'll be more of the noir, detective angle than saving people and fighting demons like Angel was. Also, if the human love interest is a doctor finding a cure for vampirism, I'm gonna up chuck.

Why can't we get a vampire hero who enjoys being a vampire?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
FilmCritic3000
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:24 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 2683
Location: Savannah, Georgia

Messiahman wrote:
I'll check this out, but cautiously. Alan Ball's vamp show for HBO, TRUE BLOOD, sounds a helluva lot more interesting. Of course, Alan Ball is a friggin' genius, as well.


Well I hope the series is a whole lot better than those godawful Charlaine Harris novels it's based on. What a bunch of crap.
_________________
"I hate all sports as rabidly as a person who likes sports hates common sense." - H. L. Mencken
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Messiahman
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:14 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 3019
Location: Hollywood

GODHOOD wrote:
More like "The Six Million Dollar Man", there are few inside jokes mentioned and shown several times on Jake 2.0.


Yes, and as I said, there was plenty of inspiration taken from NOW AND AGAIN.

But NOW AND AGAIN was a much better show, conceived and written by one of televsion's truly visionary writers, Glenn Gordon Caron. Unfortunately, it aired on CBS, whcih treats its genre shows like bastard children. Waitasec...which network is Greenwalt's vamp show on again?

GODHOOD wrote:
No, Greenwalt doesn't need Whedon since he's done a good job on his own.


Good job at what? Getting his shows cancelled after one season or less? This is Greenwalt's last chance -- if this doesn't hit (and it won't) he'll take a job as a staff writer somewhere.

GODHOOD wrote:
Your predictions don't always come true, Ghost Whisperer is still on the air.


As I recall, I merely predicted that it would be a shitty, homogenized show aimed at the HIGHWAY TO HEAVEN audience, and lo and behold...call me Creskin. Laughing

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but Greenwalt's only ever been an okay writer whose solo efforts have been a string of flops. Just being realistic here.
_________________
"According to witnesses, testimony and evidence...this massacre was the work of ninjas!"


Last edited by Messiahman on Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:56 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Messiahman
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:15 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 3019
Location: Hollywood

FilmCritic3000 wrote:
Messiahman wrote:
I'll check this out, but cautiously. Alan Ball's vamp show for HBO, TRUE BLOOD, sounds a helluva lot more interesting. Of course, Alan Ball is a friggin' genius, as well.


Well I hope the series is a whole lot better than those godawful Charlaine Harris novels it's based on. What a bunch of crap.


Again, two words: Alan Ball. That name alone makes it a hundred times more intriguing than Greenwalt's show to me.

Ball has already been responsible for one of the best American dramas ever made. And the fact that he cast the lovely and talented Ana Paquin as his lead in this is just icing on the cake.

I'll watch `em both, but I already have a strong feeling as to which one will be better.
_________________
"According to witnesses, testimony and evidence...this massacre was the work of ninjas!"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FilmCritic3000
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:24 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 2683
Location: Savannah, Georgia

Messiahman wrote:
Again, two words: Alan Ball. That name alone makes it a hundred times more intriguing than Greenwalt's show to me.

Ball has already been responsible for one of the best American dramas ever made. And the fact that he cast the lovely and talented Ana Paquin as his lead in this is just icing on the cake.

I'll watch `em both, but I already have a strong feeling as to which one will be better.


Well I certainly hope Alan Ball can make potpourri out of shit, because the Charlaine Harris novels the series will be based on are horrible, horrible books, filled with weredogs and werejaguars and a bunch of characters that sound and act like Anne Rice Xeroxes. The fact that Paquin's involved ensures me watching it, but it's got pretty insurmountable odds against it - namely the beyond awful source material.
_________________
"I hate all sports as rabidly as a person who likes sports hates common sense." - H. L. Mencken
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
GODHOOD
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:22 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 357
Location: Orlando, FL

Messiahman wrote:


Good job at what? Getting his shows cancelled after one season or less? This is Greenwalt's last chance -- if this doesn't hit (and it won't) he'll take a job as a staff writer somewhere.



I mean good at writing, I didn't imply he was spectacular and will likely write the next great American novel. People don't get their shows canceled, Miracles was unfortunately the victim of the war in Afghanistan with preempted airings and the switching of time slots. Jake 2.0 was on UPN, a so-called network that makes bad decisions.

Hey I'll be the first one to say if this new vampire show SUCKS, we'll just have to wait and see.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Messiahman
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:27 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 3019
Location: Hollywood

FilmCritic3000 wrote:
Messiahman wrote:
Again, two words: Alan Ball. That name alone makes it a hundred times more intriguing than Greenwalt's show to me.

Ball has already been responsible for one of the best American dramas ever made. And the fact that he cast the lovely and talented Ana Paquin as his lead in this is just icing on the cake.

I'll watch `em both, but I already have a strong feeling as to which one will be better.


Well I certainly hope Alan Ball can make potpourri out of shit, because the Charlaine Harris novels the series will be based on are horrible, horrible books, filled with weredogs and werejaguars and a bunch of characters that sound and act like Anne Rice Xeroxes. The fact that Paquin's involved ensures me watching it, but it's got pretty insurmountable odds against it - namely the beyond awful source material.


Well, adaptation doesn't mean blow-by-blow recreation. Not at all. From what I've heard, he's using some of the ideas as a jumping-off point and gong his own way with the material. Which is just fine, as he's a tremendous writer.
_________________
"According to witnesses, testimony and evidence...this massacre was the work of ninjas!"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FilmCritic3000
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:36 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 2683
Location: Savannah, Georgia

CBS's new vampire series Moonlight continues to be retooled.

They already announced that British actress Sophia Myles (Underworld, Tristan & Isolde, Underworld: Evolution) has been cast as the female lead, replacing Shannon Lucio in the role.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070628/tv_nm/moonlight_dc

The newest news is that Jason Dohring (he played Logan Echolls on Veronica Mars) will replace Rade Serbedzija in the role of ancient vampire Josef as they've reconceptualized the character as a youthful-looking, mischievous hedge-fund trader.
_________________
"I hate all sports as rabidly as a person who likes sports hates common sense." - H. L. Mencken
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
belle morte
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:12 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 1882

A hedge fund trader? Oh Jesus.
I work for a hedge fund and I'll tell you - they're the most unexciting people on the planet.
My enthusiasm level just dropped about 15 notches.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
All times are GMT

View next topic
View previous topic
Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Dread Central Forum Index -> The Terror Tube

Post new topic   Reply to topic


 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum