FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Terror Tube -> ABC Picks Up Pushing Daisies (From Creator Of Dead Like Me)
FilmCritic3000
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:23 pm  Reply with quote

Here's a clip:

http://abc.go.com/fallpreview/pushingdaisies/index?u=0

Once upon a time, director Barry Sonnenfeld (Men In Black, Get Shorty, The Addams Family) and writer/producer Bryan Fuller (Heroes, the creator of Dead Like Me and Wonderfalls) created an unprecedented blend of romance, crime procedural and high-concept fantasy. It is a love story about a young man with a very special gift…the ability to return someone dead briefly back to life with just a simple touch.

Ned, a mild-mannered baker of fabulous pies, discovered his gift as a child. Now he puts his gift to good use, working with his only friend, a private investigator, to crack murder cases by asking victims to name their killers. But the tale gets complicated, as all tales do, when he saves his childhood sweetheart and she miraculously stays alive. Each week, she encourages him to use his powers to solve mysteries and help others. Life would be perfect, except for one cruel twist: if Ned ever touches her again, she'll lose the life he gave her, for good this time. There's always a catch…

Golden Globe-nominee Lee Pace (The Good Shepherd, Soldier's Girl), Chi McBride (The Nine, Boston Public), Golden Globe-nominee Swoosie Kurtz (Huff, Sisters) and Tony Award-winner Kristin Chenoweth (The West Wing, Broadway's Wicked) star in a fairytale in the spirit of Amelie, Stranger than Fiction, and Chocolat. From the producers of Big Fish comes an equally magical and delightful series that offers a weekly dose of sweet, heartwarming, quirky fun.
Chainsaw
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 2:16 pm  Reply with quote

Location: DON'T TOUCH MY BAGS IF YOU PLEASE. MR. CUSTOMS MAN!

Anyone wanna take bets that this doesn't last as long as the Geico Caveman show they're doing?

"Guaranteed adventures for every citizen should be in the Bill of Rights."-Sam Hell
FilmCritic3000
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 6:34 pm  Reply with quote

Chainsaw wrote:
Anyone wanna take bets that this doesn't last as long as the Geico Caveman show they're doing?

Are you saying the sheeple will flock en masse to Cavemen? Mr. Green
Terminal
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 6:04 am  Reply with quote

This is pretty odd.

Geico Caveman will smash it in the ratings. Wait and see.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Foywonder
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 6:04 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Working at an ABC affiliate station alotted me the opportunity to view the big ABC shindig they put on to announce the fall schedule. I can tell you right now that if CAVEMAN lasts six episodes it'll be a miracle. They ran like a 2-3 promo package for it and damn if there wasn't a single joke worth laughing at. In fact, most of the jokes really weren't jokes. It seemed to just be a collection of dress-up gags with these cavemen that really, aside from their sloped foreheads, could just as easily be hairy dudes from Kentucky, dressed like yuppies or cowboys and talking like any given sitcom character would. It wasn't just painfully unfunny (that distinction goes to Carpoolers); it's that the jokes didn't even exist. There was no funny.
ZombieBait
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 9:37 pm  Reply with quote

Part of the concept sounds like it was culled from Torchwood, that Doctor Who spin-off, where a glove can bring people back to life briefly; this could be interesting.
FilmCritic3000
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 11:37 pm  Reply with quote

Foywonder wrote:
Working at an ABC affiliate station alotted me the opportunity to view the big ABC shindig they put on to announce the fall schedule. I can tell you right now that if CAVEMAN lasts six episodes it'll be a miracle. They ran like a 2-3 promo package for it and damn if there wasn't a single joke worth laughing at. In fact, most of the jokes really weren't jokes. It seemed to just be a collection of dress-up gags with these cavemen that really, aside from their sloped foreheads, could just as easily be hairy dudes from Kentucky, dressed like yuppies or cowboys and talking like any given sitcom character would. It wasn't just painfully unfunny (that distinction goes to Carpoolers); it's that the jokes didn't even exist. There was no funny.

Did you get an extended look at Pushing Daisies? If so, what did you think?
Foywonder
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 3:40 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

FilmCritic3000 wrote:
Foywonder wrote:

Did you get an extended look at Pushing Daisies? If so, what did you think?

Yeah, got a good look at everything, including some of the eventual replacement shows they didn't talk up in their press releases such as Shaq's Big Challenge, where Shaquille O'Neal tries to help a bunch of overweight kids lose weight and Fat March (Yes, that's the actual title!) in which a bunch of obese adults are challenged to lose weight by completing a 600 mile march across America.

My honest impression of Pushing Daisies is that it'll develop a cult following by never catch on ratings wise and get cancelled after a single season (or sooner.) Just looks way too quirky for mainstream audiences - almost Tim Burton-esque.
FilmCritic3000
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 4:10 am  Reply with quote

Foywonder wrote:

My honest impression of Pushing Daisies is that it'll develop a cult following by never catch on ratings wise and get cancelled after a single season (or sooner.) Just looks way too quirky for mainstream audiences - almost Tim Burton-esque.

I hope you're wrong but judging by how much lame fucking reality shit the networks are airing this fall, it doesn't look like the populace's IQ will raise any time soon. I hate sheeple.

Still, it's a new series from Bryan Fuller so I'll watch it devotedly and talk about it endlessly to my friends, family and all who'll listen.
Foywonder
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 4:19 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

FilmCritic3000 wrote:
Foywonder wrote:

I hope you're wrong but judging by how much lame fucking reality shit the networks are airing this fall, it doesn't look like the populace's IQ will raise any time soon. I hate sheeple.

Still, it's a new series from Bryan Fuller so I'll watch it devotedly and talk about it endlessly to my friends, family and all who'll listen.

So I take it you won't be watching National Bingo Night?
FilmCritic3000
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 4:23 am  Reply with quote

Foywonder wrote:
FilmCritic3000 wrote:
Foywonder wrote:

So I take it you won't be watching National Bingo Night?

Laughing

No, I don't watch offal, especially the offal known as "reality" television.
Sirand
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:10 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

I saw the pilot episode. Fantastic series! Original, creative....

which means it won't last two episodes on network TV.
FilmCritic3000
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:57 pm  Reply with quote

Sirand wrote:
I saw the pilot episode. Fantastic series! Original, creative....

which means it won't last two episodes on network TV.

I too have seen the pilot and wholeheartedly agree, Sirand.

But hopefully Pushing Daisies will prove to be the exception to the rule.
Johnny Truant
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:03 pm  Reply with quote

It looks like it might be interesting.
Terminal
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:05 am  Reply with quote

It's okay so far.

I'm not bowled over for it, but I intend to see it again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address