FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Best-cellars -> Brian Keene
acidrain127
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:39 am  Reply with quote

Anyone else read Brian Keene?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
thedudeabides
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:10 pm  Reply with quote
Violent Misanthrope

I've read his two zombie books, so far nothing else yet.

I'm looking forward to checking out his other stuff.
Kaisersoze
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:07 am  Reply with quote

A number of his books have been discussed through the threads in this section. He's a popular man on this site.
VincentPrice
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 3:18 am  Reply with quote

I read The Conqueror Worms recently and loved the Hell out of it.

Just started Ghoul and so far, so good.
Aaron2010
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 2:51 am  Reply with quote

VincentPrice wrote:
I read The Conqueror Worms recently and loved the Hell out of it.

Just started Ghoul and so far, so good.

I would highly recommend these two if you've only read the zombie books. Very fun, both of them.

And I'm really looking forward to his next release from Leisure. THE DEAD SEA !!
Cash Bailey
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 5:08 am  Reply with quote

I haven't read any of his books but his blog is very entertaining.

I remember checking it out a while ago.
ReignInBlood
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 6:10 am  Reply with quote

I've read both his zombie books and loved them. Terminal is a fascinating read, although the wigger talk is irritating at times.

I started on Conqueror Worms but have not even read past the 30th page. I'm just not into it at all.
Aaron2010
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 4:39 am  Reply with quote

The Conqueror Worms isn't as deep as his other work. But I feel it's a fun quick read, nonetheless.

It is a little slow at the beginning with the old man and shit, but the book picks up when the 2nd set of characters are introduced.
brainee
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 10:01 pm  Reply with quote

I just finished "Ghoul". Mildly disappointing ... I'd rate it 3/5 at best.

The good: it's very fast reading. I picked it up Thursday, and I'm done already. I like that the "classic" ghoul (not the Romero zombie kind) has been explored in a book. And I like how Keene throws in bits expanding his Universe (there are references to the monsters from Conquerer Worms and Rising/City of the Dead). And when you come down to it, Keene is a good writer, and when the characters/scenes are clicking, it's great stuff.

The not-so-good: I appreciate the 80's setting (Keene and I are about the same age). But he didn't handle it well. References to the 80's feel forced and far too intrusive. No one just does anything - they have to do it while humming/listening to Prince/Duran Duran/Iron Maiden etc. Well written period pieces make you feel the atmosphere of the era more subtly - Keene's writing just isn't up to this task here.

I think it was a bit much for me to have both of Timmy's friends' parents be complete whack jobs. I would've rather just seen a physically father or just a sexually abusive mother. Just happening to have both of Timmy's best friends cover the 2 major forms of child abuse (with Timmy himself getting the well-intended, but ultimately damaging psychological abuse) took away from the realism for me. And the story plotting left something to be desired at times. Like characters doing stupid things to advance the plot, or "too convenient" ways of advancing the storyline at other points. Like how Timmy discovers the nature the Ghoul by an out-of-nowhere story by the Reverend character (who hadn't said anything at that point in the story) and a random discovery of a comic that perfectly mirrors what was happening in real life.

The Rising and Conqueror Worms are still my favorite Keene books. Followed by City of the Dead and then Ghoul. Haven't read Terminal yet, though I'd like to. I agree with the DC review about the "Dead Sea" preview - I'm not sure how excited I feel about it. The set-up sounds like just another Romero-esque zombie story. I'm not sure what new Keene can bring to that kind of story. He's shown plenty of imagination with different kinds of horror after breaking through with a zombie story. I hope a return to zombies wasn't determined by publisher/sales demands, rather than it being the story Keene really wanted to tell. I'm sure I'll read it see regardless.
The Butcher
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 4:37 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

THE RISING sucked.
Paper thin characters. Lame "zombies" or "deadites" or whatever he was tring to put together.

His writing has the quality of fan fiction in my opinion. Ditto for Ed Lee. Their dialog is the equivalent of watching an actor "act like their acting"...it just doesn't ring true or natural.

And this whole "watch me go uber-horror on yer ass!" is dissapointing as well. I'd rather read THE JOY LUCK CLUB by Amy Tan (an amazing well written novel about 3 generations of asians in the bay area) than THE BIG HEAD by Ed Lee (an amazingly bad novel about a mutated freak killer...a mishmash of too much stuff and little direction other than to work in things like 2 young men raping an old lady...fucking lame button pushing, preaching to the converted, pointless grue)

Brainee nailed it when he called Keen "forced".
Kaisersoze
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 7:02 am  Reply with quote

Damn, that was harsh Butcher.

I found The Rising to be an immensely enjoyable zombie-romp. Yes, a romp. It's not going to win any "proper" literature awards, but generally I had a great time with it, liked the slight slant on the reason behind the dead coming back to life, and got a kick out of the many character deaths. Sure, he went a bit overboard toward the end of City of the Dead, but at least he gave us a definite ending rather than stringing it out for countless sequels.
Aaron2010
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 3:03 pm  Reply with quote

I don't understand the comparison of Amy Tan to anything horror.

Edward Lee and other splatter-punk authors have their own genre. If you'd rather read Amy Tan, it sounds like you're in the wrong genre.
Caterpillar
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:58 am  Reply with quote

The Butcher wrote:
THE RISING sucked. Paper thin characters. Lame "zombies" or "deadites" or whatever he was tring to put together. His writing has the quality of fan fiction in my opinion.

I thought THE RISING was alright. If you'd have been talking about CITY OF THE DEAD (the sequel) I'd have agreed 100%. That one really read like bad zombie fan fiction, complete with characters named after Romero, Fulci and other directors of famous zombie movies. I don't know what happened with that book, maybe he was forced to write it by his agent or publisher or whatever after leaving things so open at the end of THE RISING.

Anyway, Keene's really good stuff isn't to be found in the zombie books, at least until now. EARTHWORM GODS aka CONQUEROR WORMS, now there's a damn fine book!

He actually came out with his third zombie book from Leisure a few days ago and while I'd promised to never read on his zombie books after CITY, the concept of DEAD SEA has me intrigued. Supposedly it's like MOBY DICK but with a pissed off zombie whale and zombified sharks. Could be very cool but the potential for being embarassingly terrible is also very much there. I miss the times when Butane had reviews for all the Leisure books up on the site a few weeks ahead of publication...
VincentPrice
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:20 pm  Reply with quote

Just recently finished Dead Sea and liked it quite a bit, the only negative I had was some characters tended to go on little speeches that took too long and were pretty boring.

Good zombie action though, and yes, there is even a zombie whale.
SpookyBruce
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:57 pm  Reply with quote

Earthworm Gods/Conquerer Worms has been my favorite Keene thus far. As much as I love zombies, I could never buy the idea of zombies taking over the world. Conquerer Worms I found just as bleak as any zombie novel, and far more "plausible."

Ghoul has been my least favorite, but not for the same reasons other people have stated. Yes, the 80 references were heavy-handed. I felt the supernatural threat was incidental, it felt like it was pasted in. Ghoul was far better when the characters were dealing with the human monsters, and how those monsters were breeding a new generation of horrors.

Of course, what the hell do I know? He's a successful writer, I'm just a wannabe.