FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Radio 666 -> Wildhearts? Anyone?
Johnny Butane
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:38 am  Reply with quote
Elf Fluffer

Just wondering if anyone else here had heard of/was a fan of what I consider to be one of the coolest rock-n-roll bands of all time. A bold statement, yes, but damn they're good.

Just askin' cause I found they have a new album at the end of the month and wanted to share...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
VanHouten
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:21 pm  Reply with quote

love'em! earth vs. and must be destroy are my favs!
Johnny Butane
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:09 am  Reply with quote
Elf Fluffer

Thank God. I thought I heard an echo when I posted that...

Ever seen 'em? Fucking amazing live.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Nobodaddy
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:26 pm  Reply with quote

Location: Munyeca. Yo te ciaro. Yo te ciaro Ohio. Muy bonito.

I love the Wildhearts. Truly one of the most underrated and overlooked bands. I've been collecting their stuff for a lot longer then I should probably admit and haven't been let down by anything they've put out.

I've had the pleasure of seeing them twice, with the first being the hands down best performance. They got to do an impromptu headlining set in Cleveland when The Darkness had to cancel. An hour and a half of energy, heavy ass guitars and wonderful harmonies. "Caprice" is just ungodly heavy live.

I'm looking forward to their new disc. It's supposed to be a back to their roots kind of thing. More heavy and aggressive, ala Earth Vs., as opposed to the slick heavy Cheap Tricky pop stylings of Must be Destroyed. It should be a good album.
VanHouten
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:35 pm  Reply with quote

Johnny Butane wrote:
Thank God. I thought I heard an echo when I posted that...

Ever seen 'em? Fucking amazing live.

well i replied when i heard the crickets chirping...j/k

i actually have not. i've heard they're great and very loud. and that ac/dc LOVED them (both as a band and as people) when they toured together
Johnny Butane
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:40 pm  Reply with quote
Elf Fluffer

That's what they say and that makes me very happy. Must be Destroyed was good, but it just didn't have the stamina of Earth Vs. or Fishing for Luckies for me. I really hope the new one knocks it out of the park, as it were.

And goddamn I hope they do another US tour, even if it's just the bigger markets. I'd drive to see 'em again; I can't even imagine an hour and a half of that. Lucky bastard.
Cash Bailey
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:59 am  Reply with quote

Thank you for starting this thread. I mentioned The Wildhearts in a post way back when and got fucking crickets.

Caught a sneak at the new track and it sounds like prime Ginger-goodness.

Anyway, they were a band 10 years ahead of their time. Their ferocious-but-melodic rock anthems came along at the height of shoe-gazing grunge. They had some early success but then saw their thunder well-and-truly stolen by Oasis. A pattern that would be repeated throughout their career.

At almost every turn the brilliance of their output was undermined by the self-destructiveness of the band itself. Surely no band this great has so often been at the brink of hugeness, then fallen back because of drug addiction, record compant bullshit etc...

(Speaking of which, I hear EastWest is holding their catalogue hostage, not allowing Ginger to retain the rights and re-release it)

Their last album, 'The Wildhearts Must Be Destroyed' is an album every person who loves heavy, melodic guitar rock should own. The production is huge (The chorus of 'So Into You' drops my jaw every time), the songs pummel ('Nexus Icon') and the melodies are as if from God himself ('There's Only One Hell'.)

The Wildhearts are the most under-valued British rock band of all time.

Who knows, maybe with the new album around the corner the time is finally right for Ginger, Danny, Stidi and CJ to knock the world's teeth out and save us all from Emo.
Johnny Butane
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:35 pm  Reply with quote
Elf Fluffer

I really thought their supporting tour for The Darkness, before they vanished to obscurity, would give them the recognition that's been denied them here for so long, but sadly it wasn't to be. I think because, though I agree there's some great stuff on "Must be Destroyed", it just didn't have the same feel as their previous output.

Now, though? Who knows. If the new lineup and return to form is as good as they're selling perhaps they'll finally get some fame over here.

I can't get the new song, damnit, because it's only available on the UK iTunes. Moronic.
Nobodaddy
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:24 am  Reply with quote

Personally, I don't want them to come back to America. It seems like every time they do, something bad happens. Ginger went bonkers back on Earth Vs. After they toured on Must Be Destroyed they broke up. I can only imagine what they'd do to top those two.

As for the new song, you can hear a few seconds of it over at E-Music. Sadly, just like iTunes, they have issues with us being Americans.

http://www.emusic.com/album/11011/11011655.html

It's only 29 seconds, but better then nothing. It sounds really, really good. I've got the album on pre-order with Amazon UK. I even went crazy with 1 - 2 business day delivery.
Johnny Butane
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:37 pm  Reply with quote
Elf Fluffer

Yeah, I heard that already. About a dozen times. Very Happy Damn iTunes, screwing us out of good British rock 'n roll.
Nobodaddy
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:22 pm  Reply with quote

I hear that the Sweetest Song will hit you if you follow the link:

http://download.yousendit.com/B97C0DD73D67E617
Cash Bailey
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:53 am  Reply with quote

Nobodaddy wrote:
I hear that the Sweetest Song will hit you if you follow the link:

http://download.yousendit.com/B97C0DD73D67E617

God bless you, sir.

That song pounds! Perfect Wildhearts; thundering guitar riffage and glorious melodies.
Johnny Butane
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:33 pm  Reply with quote
Elf Fluffer

You are a gentleman and a scholar.

It's a good song, though not what I was hoping for... sounded a bit too much like the "Must be Destroyed" stuff... I was thinking it'd be more like "PHUQ"