FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Terror Tube -> Masterpiece Theater's Dracula
Mephistopheles
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:32 pm  Reply with quote

Anyone see this? It was on yesterday and this week on PBS. I haven't seen it, but its rating was TV-MA so they probably didn't tone it down...I did hear, however, that they changed the plot around and added a syphilis subplot... Shocked
Terminal
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:37 pm  Reply with quote

Watching it Saturday morning.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mephistopheles
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:46 am  Reply with quote

*********SPOILERS*********

Well, I saw it just now and I really disliked it. Although I don't consider myself a Dracula fan by any means, I did really enjoy the Bram Stoker novel a lot. When I heard that Masterpiece Theater was going to adapt it, I was excited mainly because I thought it would be for the first time a faithful adaptation.

Its NOTHING like the book. Only the smallest of resemblances. Jonathan Harker is killed in the first thirty minutes (the beginning of the book, arguably the most effective section of the entire novel, is seriously underplayed here...I think Harker and Dracula have one scene together before he gets bitten...nothing of the slowly creeping dread of Harker living with Dracula) and a large chunk of the story deals with Arthur Holmwood being diagnosed with syphillis, so he makes a deal with some cult to send over Dracula to cure him of his syphillis by giving him a blood transfusion. Shocked And the cult is keeping Van Helsing a prisoner or something. Oh, and Renfield is completely missing here as are Dracula's three wives.

Obviously I wasn't expecting a literal translation of the novel, but I would have liked to see some resemblance of the novel I loved so much. I guess I'll have to read Marvel's "Stoker's Dracula" miniseries from last year which so far is the only other media to succesfully adapt the novel.

I still find out hillarious that Tolkien fans are angry that Gandalf bumps his head in Bilbo's house (and yes, I've seen it happen) when stuff like this happens.
Borgosi
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:12 pm  Reply with quote

I also expected more from "Masterpiece Theater". This is as bad as one of those remakes where you wonder why they didn't come up with an original title as well. You go in expecting Dracula and get this you can't help but think you were short changed.

It wasn't all bad, but it wasn't Dracula either.
VideoNasty
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:14 pm  Reply with quote

I'll never figure out what is so hard about adapting Stoker book into a scipt without playing with the characters so much. The closest thing I've seen is the original BBC adaption from the 70's and Christopher Lee's "Count Dracula."

Everyone tries to play with the characters so much that they deviate from the book so much that it ruins any attempt to bring it to the screen.

I wonder how Stoker would feel about the character of Dracula being portrayed as a romantic lead so many times considering he based the character on someone he dispised.

Yet another cliche ridden bomb.
Freeze frame gonna drive you insane
Mephistopheles
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:22 pm  Reply with quote

When you say he based it off someone he despised, you're referring to Vlad Dracula, right?

Kind've funny when you think about it...in the original novel Dracula had rank breath, hairy palms, pointed fingernails...not exactly heartthrob material. Laughing
VideoNasty
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:46 pm  Reply with quote

Maybe I should've clarified my statement a little bit.

The mythos behind the character was Vlad Dracul, but the actual character was based upon an actor Stoker "worked for," Sir Henry Irving.

Stoker HATED him.
Howl at Astronauts
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:02 pm  Reply with quote

Is this the Louis Jordan one?
VideoNasty
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:21 pm  Reply with quote

No, this was a recent adaption produced this year.

The version with Louis Jourdan should be in every Dracula fan's DVD library...if you can find a copy.
Howl at Astronauts
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:20 am  Reply with quote

VideoNasty wrote:
No, this was a recent adaption produced this year.

The version with Louis Jourdan should be in every Dracula fan's DVD library...if you can find a copy.

Best Dracula movie ever made.