FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Drawing Blood -> Appreciation: The Thread
DW Bostaph Jr
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:35 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Here is what we will do. I am going to post a CLASSIC work of art, something gruesome from the past, and we can all discuss what we know of it, what we think of it, and thus. Let's see what kind of appreciation we can develop. Please refrain from posting numerous images in the thread as we will decide when to post a new one.

Feel free to place imput.

TO BEGIN:

The Cyclops
Odilon Redon

"He had a retiring life, first in his native Bordeaux, then from 1870 in Paris, and until he was in his fifties he worked almost exclusively in black and white, in charcoal drawings and lithographs. In these he developed a highly distinctive repertoire of weird subjects (strange amoeboid creatures, insects, and plants with human heads and so on), influenced by the writings of Edgar Allen Poe. He remained virtually unknown to the public until the publication of J.K. Huysmans's celebrated novel A Rebours in 1884; the book's hero, a disenchanted aristocrat who lives in a private world of perverse delights, collects Redon's drawings, and with his mention in this classic expression of decadence, Redon too became associated with the movement.

Lord Cthulhu sez: This thing has freaked me out since I saw it in a big art book as a kid. It was one of those moments where I was horrified at what I was seeing, but I was unable to look away. Actually, I kept opening the book for many days afterwards just to see the image. The terror excited me.

The Cyclops in this has a classic form to it, but there is a beastial quality to it. I only imagine the young form on the hill being gobbled up in a horrible and messy way. The beauty of the painting was always framed in this inevitable horror, at least for me.
Terminal
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:16 pm  Reply with quote

I think it's an itneresting statement on the inherent dangers in both nature and the ability to believe that we're always being watched and potentially taken by an unknown force. Notice how this danger is lurking from behind a mountain looking down at the form while the form is in its own fantasy world. The eye in particular is the most visual force in the painting. I like it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Marduk
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:19 pm  Reply with quote

Thats one cute Cyclops!
cute baby bunny
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:14 am  Reply with quote

Though I am not quite fond of the style, the painting has a deeper meaning: the struggle of man. Man (the cyclops) can only see a limited amount with his one eye, and everything that man aspires to achieve (the people to eat) -- fame, fortune, sex -- is hidden behind everyday obstacles (the hill).

**** YEAH!