FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Terror Tube -> NBC Universal's Horror Channel's (Chiller) Launch Schedule!
Ghoulie
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:24 pm  Reply with quote

I guess you could say the channel was almost perfect. Just so ironic that it would have everything you could want and the films are censored. Like something that could have been so on the dot and they just chickened out. Confused
Raider Redux
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:26 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Ghoulie wrote:
I guess you could say the channel was almost perfect. Just so ironic that it would have everything you could want and the films are censored. Like something that could have been so on the dot and they just chickened out. Confused

I don't think "chickened out" is the right term. I think they were simply looking for instant, mass market appeal, which is the logical (and best) business decision when just starting out.
FilmCritic3000
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:17 pm  Reply with quote

Raider Redux wrote:
Ghoulie wrote:

I don't think "chickened out" is the right term. I think they were simply looking for instant, mass market appeal, which is the logical (and best) business decision when just starting out.

Yep. And I've stated elsewhere, once Chiller gets more established, they can run a late night block of unedited programming, like Comedy Central does.
kiddcapone
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:28 am  Reply with quote

FilmCritic3000 wrote:
Raider Redux wrote:
Ghoulie wrote:

Yep. And I've stated elsewhere, once Chiller gets more established, they can run a late night block of unedited programming, like Comedy Central does.

Unless of course you're one of the millions of people who tuned in to watch the 1st horror channel on DirectTV and became immediately pissed off and embarrassed that the network had edited down hardcore R rated horror films into PG-13 network television watered down garbage.

Horror fans are a niche group. Chiller wasn't going to suddenly make horror fans overnight by appealing to the "mass market" with family friendly programming. If anything it's causing the opposite effect. Why should or would anyone spend time watching an edited down horror movie with commercials when they probably already own the DVD?

Chiller is ONLY good for watching old televison shows. Period. So right off the bat it's only worth watching a smaller percentage of the day. Airing 24/7 is useless if they continue showing Goosebumps horror.
Borgosi
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:38 pm  Reply with quote

Between Chiller, Fear.net and Monsters HD, it's Monsters HD that's gotten it right.

I wonder if THC are still saying they will be the first 24/7 horror channel.
rainbowtrout
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:32 pm  Reply with quote

Raider Redux wrote:
Sirand wrote:
This is why Fearnet reins supreme.

I like Fearnet's website quite a bit. Not big on the On Demand thing, though.

And I've yet to see MONSTERS HD. I'm too addicted to my NFL Ticket on Direct TV to make the switch. Wink

But, thus far, I like what I'm seeing on CHILLER and it's about what I expected.

What remains to be seen is how the original programming will shape up.

Horror fans have been clammoring for a horror channel for years, and now they have three. None of them quite perfect, though.

MONSTERS HD is on Dish, which is a small satellite company compared to Direct TV and not readily available.

FEARNET is an On Demand service and not really a channel (and not available to satellite customers)

And CHILLER is only available on Direct TV, will be available on regular cable soon, has a great roster of television shows, but shows edited for television horror films.

We're getting closer. Not there yet, bot definitely closer.

Of all three I think CHILLER has the best chance of being the complete channel. All it would take is showing uncut horror films after 8PM.

When does CHILLER come to cable??
Samhain
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:19 pm  Reply with quote
Glory Hole

zombie2473 wrote:
Fear.net is pretty awful.

Yeah, but it's better than nothing.
Raider Redux
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:05 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Borgosi wrote:
Between Chiller, Fear.net and Monsters HD, it's Monsters HD that's gotten it right.

I wonder if THC are still saying they will be the first 24/7 horror channel.

Thing about MONSTERS HD is that since it's part of a special HD package, that qualifies it to be a "premium" channel like HBO or SHOWTIME. Which allows them to show movies uncut.

Channels like IFC, FMC and FX. which show uncut movies after hours, are walking a very fine line. Which has caused the Democrats in congress to begin asking the FCC to start finding legal loop holes that would allow them to start regulating cable.

Thus far, the FCC has declined. But the pressure is mounting.

Chiller is doing just fine, IMO.

If I want to see movies uncut - I can get my rear off the couch and go to my DVD library.

I'm more interested in the shows and older movies like TARANTULA, THE BAD SEED, etc.
pondo sinatra
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:07 am  Reply with quote

FilmCritic3000 wrote:

But they dont and they won't.

It's basically a regurgitated SCI-FI Channel that will be wholly unwatchable (once they stop running older horror shows after they break into about a dozen more major markets) like Sci-Fi became in 1997, and Comedy Central became 'round 2002.

Its on-demand offerings are uncut, though generally not too envelope-pushing to begin with (mostly made-for-tv crap interspursed with films that ARE NOT horror, like THE ISLAND and JUDGMENT NIGHT) but why bother?

This fucking channel sucks. It has no spine. It s selection is narrow and mostly shit.

I have something against your blind cheerleading of this channel - the the point I actually suspect you are a schill affilaited with the network - and clear ignorance (you can call it "wishful thinking" if it seems less offensive) of where you think it will go.

As for the whole "broad appeal" and "establish itself" excuses for presenting censored shit on a broadcast tier you have to PAY EXTRA for anyway (so your'e paying for crap) - the poster who made such declarations is also losing touch with reality. that's not hwo the business works. That's not how you establis ha channel. Trust me when I say this: what you're seeing from Chiller now is about as good as it's going to get.

IFC has greater market penetration and shows their shit uncut. If they coulddo it - and survive for nearly 15 years - then Chiller could do the same for its niche market - without feeding us a shitload of non-horror crap - and censored at that.

If I wanted such spineless, sissified, barely genre-related crap I'd subscribe to Fangoria (the magazine and "internet broadcast."). No thanks.

Fuck Chiller. I hope it goes out of business within the year and the cocksuckers who ruin, er "run" it are jobless for the rest of their lives.

Now, will some mother fucker with a truckload of cash help the Dread Central Channel come into existence?

I can dream, can't I?

For each of man's evils a special demon exists
pondo sinatra
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:22 am  Reply with quote

Raider Redux wrote:

Channels like IFC, FMC and FX. which show uncut movies after hours, are walking a very fine line.

IFC and Fox Movie Channel show uncut films 24-7, man.

Quote:
Which has caused the Democrats in congress to begin asking the FCC to start finding legal loop holes that would allow them to start regulating cable.

Actually, it's mostly Republicans. Regardless, both sides are cocksuckers on the issue; kowtowing to a minority group (right-wing, fundimentally religious thought-nazi, taliban-like cocksuckers).

Quote:
Chiller is doing just fine, IMO.

Chiller blows. It's a spineless insult to fans and little more than anotehr Sci-Fi Channel. The difference is this: Sci-Fi made it clear that it would be commercially-oriented and thus, by proxy - editing content. It's also not on a higher tier of packaging that requires extra dough - in many markets across the U. S.

Chiller is on a special tier, like FXM and IFC. Unlike those channels, it still has no balls and it still sucks.

Quote:

If I want to see movies uncut - I can get my rear off the couch and go to my DVD library.

Assuming they are ON DVD.

You simply make excuses and present spin to try and justify the unjustifiable. What you're doing is the aesthetic equivalent of what A. A. would describe as being an "enabler."

Such ratonalizing, like "Well if I want to see them uncut I can get off my ass and dance an Irish jig while I smugly make excuses for a spineless company," might make you feel better beign a cheerleader/schill for a crappy channel, but if I'm paying for CABLE - not the "public airwaves," then I want what I pay for: content I cannot get elsewhere. I want to be treated with respect as a consumer, and as a fan, not receive another Sci-Fi channel with shit content - much of which gets cut.

Quote:
I'm more interested in the shows and older movies like TARANTULA, THE BAD SEED, etc.

Enjoy them while they last. Just like the Sci-Fi Channel debuted in '92 (or '93) - you'll get that. However, it won't be there for long. Soon enough the whole historical context will be no older than 10 years and instead of A-Grade work like NIGHT GALLERY you'll probably end up with SUPERNATURAL reruns soon enough.

If I wanted to be given half-assed entertainment, spineless suits with contempt towards the hands that feed them - or free - I'll take a trip to Capitol Hill.

However, a lot of us pay for our cable/sat. and we expect better than basic cable horse shit.

Last edited by pondo sinatra on Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:51 am; edited 1 time in total
pondo sinatra
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:27 am  Reply with quote

rainbowtrout wrote:

When does CHILLER come to cable??

I receive an on-demand version of some of the channel's offerings via Time-Warner. I'm not sure how long it will last.
pondo sinatra
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:29 am  Reply with quote

kiddcapone wrote:

Unless of course you're one of the millions of people who tuned in to watch the 1st horror channel on DirectTV and became immediately pissed off and embarrassed that the network had edited down hardcore R rated horror films into PG-13 network television watered down garbage.

Horror fans are a niche group. Chiller wasn't going to suddenly make horror fans overnight by appealing to the "mass market" with family friendly programming. If anything it's causing the opposite effect. Why should or would anyone spend time watching an edited down horror movie with commercials when they probably already own the DVD?

or the same content is being shown on other channels?

Good points. Chiller is following the Sci-Fi Channel mold. Like Sci-Fi, if it ever gets its footing, its well of "classics' will go away and some of their highest-rated programming will be pro-wrestling or some other non-genre programming; which is pretty much what Sci-Fi became. Unlike Sci-Fi, I don't see Chiller having legs to stand-on, since the die-hard Science Fiction fans still pledge their loyalty to Sci-Fi, in spite of its limited range of programming, and slow changes that take it away from its genre (like wrestling and infomercials), and horror fans are generally more discerning.

Quote:
Chiller is ONLY good for watching old televison shows. Period. So right off the bat it's only worth watching a smaller percentage of the day. Airing 24/7 is useless if they continue showing Goosebumps horror.

Oh, my brutha: TESTIFY!

You're 100% right. The people running/ruining Chiller are suits with no concept of the genre, let alone a stable, long term agenda; nor do they even have any respect towards their target audience to even spend time or money trying to understand them.

Showtime BEYOND and IFC are better.
Messiahman
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:58 pm  Reply with quote

pondo sinatra wrote:
I have something against your blind cheerleading of this channel - the the point I actually suspect you are a schill affilaited with the network - and clear ignorance (you can call it "wishful thinking" if it seems less offensive) of where you think it will go.

I could care less about the CHILLER debate, but I will say that your absurd idea of Filmcritic being a paid shill for the network is absolute, unexpurgated bullshit. I know for a fact that he has no affiliation with it whatsoever, and that accusation could not be more wrong (not to mention that it's a rather shitty way of trying to derail the debate in your favor).

He likes it, you don't. End of story.

Time will tell if any of your predictions come true, Creskin.
pondo sinatra
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:27 am  Reply with quote

Messiahman wrote:

I could care less about the CHILLER debate,

And yet you chime in. Bullshit on that. Batman.

Quote:
but I will say that your absurd idea of Filmcritic being a paid shill for the network is absolute, unexpurgated bullshit.

Then why are they hyping it up over several threads and fabricting EXCUSES for its tepid programing, etc?Even before that happened they were touting it as a virtual second-coming BEFORE it even debuted.

There is such a thing as being an unpaid shill, as well.

Of course you knew that, but wanted to derail the debate into your favor, riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight?

Quote:
He likes it, you don't. End of story.

"Like" is too soft a word, especially when one is cheerleading the thing as if they had stock in the company (I call it shill fellatio) and one of us MOTHER FUCKING HATES IT AND KNEW IT'D BE SHIT GIVEN THE PEDIGREE OF WHO'S BACKING IT; their television track record for crap is astronomical.

Two extremes. Again, "Like" is too soft a word.

Quote:
Time will tell if any of your predictions come true, Creskin.

They already have, Batman.

I'll add that my vitriol towards Chiller was amplified by the blind cheerleading BEFORE the channel debuted and then the spin being put upon it since it has debuted and continues to flounder (since the channel's suits shot it in the foot before it ever left the starting line).

Anyway, that's that.
Messiahman
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:09 am  Reply with quote

pondo sinatra wrote:
And yet you chime in. Bullshit on that. Batman.

I guess I felt pretty strongly about calling you out for acting like an ignorant asshole. Of course, if I did that a little more often, it would probably cut down on three quarters of your posts, huh?

By the way, if I'm Batman, I guess that makes you Robin, my sexually challenged sidekick, right? I'm sure you get that quite a bit -- after all, you certainly come off like a whiny little bitch.

And really, why are you wasting time here? Shouldnít you be getting to work on that CRAZY FAT ETHEL remake? Itís guaranteed box office gold!

pondo sinatra wrote:
Then why are they hyping it up over several threads and fabricting EXCUSES for its tepid programing, etc?Even before that happened they were touting it as a virtual second-coming BEFORE it even debuted.

Because they were excited about it. And, more importantly, THEY'VE ACTUALLY SEEN IT, not some ethereal, bare-bones on-demand version. Iíve seen it, too. And I was excited about it in the early going as well. Frankly, I NEVER cared about the films airing and was only tuning in for the various series that had been unearthed. And I'm enjoying the hell out of them.

The only thing youíve offered is pure supposition (absolutely NONE of which has been proven true, in spite of your laughable assertions otherwise) based on this fabled On-Demand channel. Get back to me when youíve actually seen the real thing and have a leg to stand on. Arguing against something that you havenít seen yet and complaining about things that havenít occurred yet is utterly pointless. You're just a blowhard in love with your own voice (and on the internet, too - how original!)

pondo sinatra wrote:
There is such a thing as being an unpaid shill, as well.

Thereís also such a thing as a bullying uninformed jackass whoíd rather accuse someone of being a shill than do a little research and discover otherwise. But then, youíve obviously been around long enough to know that Filmcritic and Raider are longstanding members of this community whoíve been around since the Horror Channel and Creature Corner days. Just like you know who they are in real life and what they do for a living, right?

Right?

Iíve known both of these guys for quite some time. And I can tell you two things that are unequivocally certain:

1.) Neither of them is a shill.
2.) Youíre an asshole.

Next time, do a little thinking before you speak. Itíll save me the effort of pointing out how completely full of shit you are (and that's hard to miss, looking up at you on this ridiculous soapbox of yours).

Now, THAT is that.

(until you inevitably come back with your predictably snarky response and I ignore it for the pure waste of time it is -- c'mon, man, prove me right!)