FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Best-cellars -> Buffy: Season 8
Sirand
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:27 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Anyone pick it up yet? Word has been through the roof!
conundrum
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:15 pm  Reply with quote

I am not sure how I like it. It is really different from the show, although I have to say that it is almost (ALMOST) the logical conclusion when you look at the end of "Buffy" and at a few of the final episodes of "Angel." It may just be that now that Joss Whedon has such a bigger canvas without the constraints of a TV show (he knows how to write comics and is doing as much, this is not a comic version of a TV show) he is using it to its full potential. I will probably keep up with it because
A) I like the show and most of Whedon's work
and
B) It looks good and it looks like it knows where it is going.
lostphrack
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:35 am  Reply with quote

I dug the hell out of it myself. The art's not my favorite, a little stiff feeling, but it's still pretty good and Jeanty does a good job at balancing the characters likenesses against the non-actor based characters. Least I thought so.

But yeah, good stuff, interesting and I can't wait to see where they go with it next.

It's also selling very well, the second printing is due out next week as most of the first printing is already gone.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
BlackFlagg
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:51 am  Reply with quote

Loving it, hopefully it will lead to an official Angel season 6 series, the various unofficial Angel and Spike books have been good, but I wanna see what Joss would have in mind for it.
Aaron2010
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:28 pm  Reply with quote

Not my cup of tea. I'm glad for all the fans of Buffy, though. I know they were all crushed when the show ended.
Samhain
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:23 pm  Reply with quote
Glory Hole

I'm going to wait 'til they release the official "collection" (like I do when they release Batman "oners"
Mistress
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:52 pm  Reply with quote

I picked mine up last week. I enjoy it, but I can't wait for the 4th to get my next issue.
Desdinova
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:37 am  Reply with quote

Aaron2010 wrote:
Not my cup of tea. I'm glad for all the fans of Buffy, though. I know they were all crushed when the show ended.

The preview art (for the cover) was fantastic. But, in general, I'm only a casual "Buffy" fan, watching an episode here and there. (The best episode I ever saw was "Hush.")

As for Angel, I liked it better when it was called Forever Knight.
LivingDeadPunk
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:33 pm  Reply with quote

I loved it. I read it and had to reread it again, immediately after. It actually felt, to me, like I was watching a new episode on TV.
Mistress
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:24 pm  Reply with quote

the next issue came out on Wednesday! I have to get it tonight.
lostphrack
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:47 am  Reply with quote

BlackFlagg wrote:
Loving it, hopefully it will lead to an official Angel season 6 series, the various unofficial Angel and Spike books have been good, but I wanna see what Joss would have in mind for it.

Word is that IDW has that in the works, complete with Whedon on board writing or as creative control or something. No idea when it's supposed to actually start up though.

Anywho..

Picked up the second issue during the week, wow.. talk about speeding up the pace a bit! Still, good stuff, and it was nice to see more of the main cast turn up, even it was only for a page or two.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Elf
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:56 am  Reply with quote

The story's excellent. It's like going home. The artwork, not so much. I'm not the biggest fan of the artist, but it could be worse. However, I wanna know what the hell is a Thrisewise. Also? Buffy in Scotland is too damned nifty.
lostphrack
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 8:45 am  Reply with quote

The third issue came out this week, anyone still with the series here or..?

I'm enjoying it a hell of a lot more than I thought I would. I think it's quickly becoming one of my favorite series at the moment, not sure if my enthusiasm will last once Whedon's gone in an issue or two, but right now.. great fun stuff.

Anywho... this issue. Er.. spoiler stuff below.

Liked the dream sequence stuff even if I guessed wrong about the Spike/Angel image (I thought they'd be making out, oops). Didn't expect Ethan to be the dream guide/helper though.. actually out of everything that's happened so far that surprised me the most. Almost entirely forgot about him. Curious about Warren's return and why he's still lacking his skin too. Lot's of stuff for the next issue to wrap up, should be interesting to see how they do it.
Dr. Mirakle
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:32 pm  Reply with quote

Is anybody still reading season 8?

I picked up issues 20 and 21 last week. I enjoyed 20 quite a bit; it'll probably be among my favorite issues when all is done. I gave 21 a quick look, but will have to read it more closely before forming an opinion.

As for 16-19, while the story arc had its moments (I've never read Fray, so some of it got past me), I didn't care at all for the artwork.
LivingDeadPunk
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:11 pm  Reply with quote

I'm still reading and really enjoying it and, as a big Fray fan, I loved that recent storyline.

Angel: After the Fall and "Spike: After the Fall are also pretty decent series, though not quite as good as Buffy.