FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Rated Ex -> Red To Kill
Krugrsgrl
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:30 pm  Reply with quote

This is still one of my personnal favs. It's so fuckin violent. It's never left my thoughts. Did this director/ writer do anything else?
Caterpillar
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:54 pm  Reply with quote

RED TO KILL is a funny flick. I dig the political incorrectness of setting a rape and revenge / slasher flick in a care center for the mentally challenged. Lots of nice Argento-esque lighting and goddamn what was up with the dude stuffing ice in his pants with the H.R. Giger poster in the background?!? Shocked

Billy Tang has made a couple other great exploitation films in the mid 90ies, DR. LAMB, BROTHER OF DARKNESS ("You touch my penis and see how it erected!") and my favorite among his films: RUN AND KILL.

After Hong Kong went back to China and Category III cinema as we knew it died due to censorship, Tang did a bunch of action flicks and comedies and the usual crap. His last film was DEVIL TOUCH in 2002.
greenterror
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:52 pm  Reply with quote

the retarded chick getting raped stuff was over the top and un-PC things i've witnessed. i enjoyed this movie quite a bit as well as DR. LAMB, BROTHER OF DARKNESS and RUN AND KILL. some really great CAT 3 stuff there. truly a pity about the Chinese censorship and the death of CAT 3.
pondo sinatra
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:41 am  Reply with quote

Last time I was in Hong Kong (five months ago) CAT. III films were in abundance. Contrary to the musings of people who have never been to Hong Kong - China hasn't abolished the Cat. III film, nor are they forbidden within the S. A. R. of Hong Kong.

Now, if one wanted to argue that the industry moved away from making them - then there would be merit, but the assertion that hte Cat. III film "Died," because of the former colony's handover to China is pure fanboy horse shit, plain and simple. Someone in a position of authority spoke out of thier ass and people without the opportunity to know better simply kept the myth floating. It's a shame that such a myth has spread like wildfire.

Most Cat. III flicks are shot on digital video these days, and rarely make it to cinemas. Even in the Cat. III heyday of the late eighties and early nineties, a lot of those films were produced for peanuts, and as an afterthought ("Oh, we have leftover sets at the Golden Harvest Studios from ICEMAN COMETH, let's throw together EROTIC GHOST STORY!" Producer "Great idea. Let's do it!" - something like that, though that's a fabricated exchange and not based in fact. Just something to illustrate a point.). That's not to say there weren't higher profile ones (hell, PRIOSN ON FIRE II was given a CAT. III on its initial release, before being reclassified as a IIB film. Stephen Chow's THE MAD MONK was also CAT III, believe it or not), but to emphasize that most were made fast, cheap and with the grindhouse spirit of maximum exploitation for maximum profits. When the cost of shooting and processing on film cut too much into the peanuts spent on these things, they moved to video.

Anyway, when the economic bubble burst in 1997 and a lot of triad money was pulled from the industry, the numebr of Cat. III productions dwindled. Then the VCD revolution-cum DVD revolution and the rampant piracy didn't help things. Worse yet, was the fact that most of the Cat. III movie houses moved to mainstream fare, or more often than not were shuttered before the property was sold or rented off, since space is a commodity in Hong Kong.
Finally, a lot of the production moved to SOV, like Danny Lee's police procedurals such as WATER TANK MURDER MYSTERY, etc. which paved the way for most local (HK) based Cat. III productions that you can see today.

I'd also add that the overall number of original productions going on in Hong Kong are down 75% from the waining days of its "golden age" (1967-1994), across the board. Even with that in mind, after the Category system was introduced, the majority of films produced in the colony were Cat. II, or IIB later on - at worst.

Anyway, take a trip to Hong Kong and Cat. III flicks old and new, local and international (though mostly international) are legally on the video/cd shop shelves.

China - that's a whole other can of worms. However, the PRC have not made it forbidden to produce or market and distribute Cat. III films in Hong Kong or Macau. There has been no governmental pressure on the industry, either.

Miracle of miracles, I know (especially when taking the PRC in consideration), but that is the reality. I just wish I could find the source of such cultural misinformation and call them out.
greenterror
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:31 pm  Reply with quote

thanks for the info. stand corrected.
pondo sinatra
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:50 pm  Reply with quote

greenterror wrote:
thanks for the info. stand corrected.

No problem, and it wasn't a slight on you. I assume you're unable to travel to the S. A. R. (like many folks) and rely on the "authority" (not a word I want to use, but the only one that comes to mind) of familiar names that somehow managed to fanagle innocent, open minded folks into trusting what they publish, when the reality is that they have never been to the region and only glom their information from other sources, many of which are also incorrect. Richard Corliss of TIME magazine is a great example. That cocksucker is wholly out ot lunch when he speaks of Asian cinema, but he wants people to think he knows a thing or two, based on the cache of having that TIME affiliation. Meanwhile, Joe fanzine guy, cranking out a website from Hong Kong propper - who speaks the language and sees things first-hand doesn't get a fair shake because he's not doing it soley for profit and is not affiliated with a magazine where its bread and butter (world news) is actually written with a great deal of verifiable research and hard core facts (unlike its film reviews and articles).

So, it wasn't a slight on you, more of a bit of anger at how some folks can get away with fabricating deliberate misinformation and passing it off as fact (Corliss is an example, and I don't recall him even acknowledging Cat. III films. Again, he's jutt a name that comes to my head, often guilty of pulling shit out of his fat ass; pretending to know about wu xia pian history, etc.).

As for Cat. III - try looking into the SOV/DTV flicks that are occasionally popping up on store shelves (often without much fanfare).

Last edited by pondo sinatra on Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
greenterror
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:00 pm  Reply with quote

when i am in China Town in LA i usually find some stuff in stores that i buy. i'll keep my eyes peeled for some good new school SOV CAT III. thanks