FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Best-cellars -> LEISURE Books of the Month
Aaron2010
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:03 pm  Reply with quote

I know there are 2 Leisure titles released every month. I am really looking forward to SLITHER by Edward Lee coming in October (I think).

Has anyone joined their book club yet ?
kismet
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:13 pm  Reply with quote

Ive been a member for awhile now and I love it. They send out two books each month and a catalogue to order other books from the Leisure line. I usually receive my books about 7 to 11 days before the bookstores release them and the club price is a bit lower than cover price too.
Johnny Butane
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:49 pm  Reply with quote
Elf Fluffer

Not really a "member", perse, but they send me each month's releases for review. Good stuff!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Aaron2010
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:52 am  Reply with quote

That would be totally sweet, to get copies for review. I'm anxious to hear what you think about this month's books.
Tony Saint
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:16 am  Reply with quote

I read several books at a time, usually a novel, a few short story collections, and some nonfiction. As a result, me read slowerly. But I just may join that club when I get a little more space.

Hear the "Killer Nerd" remix at Wayne Alan Harold and Toby Radloff's Lurid Entertainment!
Aaron2010
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:20 pm  Reply with quote

By the way, this month's selections were OFF SEASON by Jack Ketchum and A HOUSE DIVIDED by Deborah LeBlanc

July's titles :

INTO THE FIRE by Richard Laymon
SHELTER by L.H. Maynard, M.P.N Sims
Johnny Butane
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:10 pm  Reply with quote
Elf Fluffer

Well, I would have pointed you to my reviews for both of June's titles, but they're no longer in existence, as it were. They'll be back soon.

Into the Fire is pretty good, one of Laymon's better, actually. I'm about halfway through Shelter and it's... okay so far. Hopefully it will end better than I expect it to.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Aaron2010
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:23 pm  Reply with quote

I look forward to more reviews, in the future.
kjeff
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:52 am  Reply with quote

I've been a member for a few months and have been nothing but pleased with the whole thing... Yeah, there are a few books I've gotten that really don't appeal to me, but I can trade/sell those off easily...

The first month I joined I got Deathbringer by Bryan Smith and loved it... My favorites so far this year have been Off Season, Conqueror Worms, and The Attraction.

Up until earlier this year, I'd pretty much ignored most of the current horror authors. I'm grateful that Leisure has exposed me to these books!
Aaron2010
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:34 am  Reply with quote

kjeff wrote:
I've been a member for a few months and have been nothing but pleased with the whole thing... Yeah, there are a few books I've gotten that really don't appeal to me, but I can trade/sell those off easily...

The first month I joined I got Deathbringer by Bryan Smith and loved it... My favorites so far this year have been Off Season, Conqueror Worms, and The Attraction.

Up until earlier this year, I'd pretty much ignored most of the current horror authors. I'm grateful that Leisure has exposed me to these books!

that's great. The more people who buy and read it, the more we'll get.
Johnny Butane
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:39 pm  Reply with quote
Elf Fluffer

Yeah, that's what Leisure's been great with so far; exposing me to authors I would have probabl never heard of before. That, or allowed me to read works by authors whose name I've heard but never got a chance to read.

And man do they lover their Laymon! Just got an advanced copy of The Cellar, which was appaently his first book. They're putting it out in a few months.
Aaron2010
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:47 pm  Reply with quote

Once again, I would love to get on that advance list. Maybe I'll send them a letter on my company's notebook.
The Butcher
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:38 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Johnny Butane wrote:
Yeah, that's what Leisure's been great with so far; exposing me to authors I would have probabl never heard of before. That, or allowed me to read works by authors whose name I've heard but never got a chance to read.

And man do they lover their Laymon! Just got an advanced copy of The Cellar, which was appaently his first book. They're putting it out in a few months.

SOME of us have the first print and read it when it came out, hehehehe.

It's pretty good man, and there is some very grim human horror in it as well. Parts of this could have been written by Ketchum or Lee as well.

Richard Laymon seems to have enjoyed a renaiseance since his untimely death a couple of years ago. He's like the Secret Stephen King. TONS of work left behind for the fans too.
Aaron2010
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:35 am  Reply with quote

I've got 4 different Laymon titles in stock right now at work. All Hail Leisure!
Caterpillar
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:38 pm  Reply with quote

Leisure kicks ass. I wouldn't subscribe to their club the way some of you guys obviously do but about half of the books I buy are from them. Their paperbacks are cheap, they don't shy away from the more "hardcore" stuff at all (OFF SEASON and HAUNTER are among the roughest stuff I've ever read) and they keep a nice balance between new books and choice reprints of unjustly forgotten gems.

And Johnny, I really appreciate your reviews! They are very helpful when I try to make up my mind if I should give a new writer a chance. I need to check out some Lebbon and Waggoner as soon as I'm done with my triple order of Brian Keene.