FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Terror Tube -> NBC Universal's Horror Channel's (Chiller) Launch Schedule!
kiddcapone
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:24 am  Reply with quote

Well....I knew it was too good to be true. Neutral

Although Chiller is a pay satellite channel, it does not show uncensored unedited films. BOOOOOOOO!

The Shining is on right now and it's so badly dubbed and edited it's impossible to watch. Enough of this shit.

Obviously Chiller will only be good for watching PG movies and old television shows. We FINALLY get a horror channel on DirectTV and it's watered down PG material. Just super.
Messiahman
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:33 am  Reply with quote

There's talk about showing the unedited versions after primetime hours.
Zombie65
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:13 am  Reply with quote

kiddcapone wrote:

Although Chiller is a pay satellite channel, it does not show uncensored unedited films. BOOOOOOOO!

The Shining is on right now and it's so badly dubbed and edited it's impossible to watch. Enough of this shit.

Obviously Chiller will only be good for watching PG movies and old television shows. We FINALLY get a horror channel on DirectTV and it's watered down PG material. Just super.

Yeah, I heard all the "Frickins" and "Son-of-a-of-guns". I also noticed how they fuzzed out the girls in the paintings in Dick Hallorann's room when he's on the bed watching TV. Kind of makes you wonder if the "restored" version of the original "Frankenstein" (1931) will be too strong for them.
FilmCritic3000
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:01 pm  Reply with quote

BTW if you don't have DIRECTV and want to see what the on-air look and feel of Chiller is, check this out...

http://www.s4studios.com/

It's the website for the company that designed Chiller's imaging. They have posted all of Chiller's channel IDs, teasers, and bumpers on their main page.
Raider Redux
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:26 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

kiddcapone wrote:

Ah, point of fact, if I may -- CHILLER isn't a "pay satellite" channel. It's a channel on a satellite service you pay for, but the comment eludes more toward something like HBO or Showtime. It's part of your basic package on Direct TV. So, right now, their movies are edited like TNT, TBS, etc.

And, honestly, I didn't mind the editing in THE SHINING. THE SHINING has very little that required alteration.

But, I do agree that CHILLER should follow in the footsteps of other channels like FX, FMC and The Comedy Channel and try airing uncut versions of films after 8 or 9 PM.

Show the older, less graphic stuff from 5 AM to 7 PM, then start airing disclaimers and parental advisories @ 8 PM and air movies and old cable shows like TALES FROM THE CRYPT and THE HITCHHIKER uncut.

But, honestly, at least they are on the air. They set a date and hit it. Kudos for honesty.
kiddcapone
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:02 am  Reply with quote

Raider Redux wrote:
Ah, point of fact, if I may -- CHILLER isn't a "pay satellite" channel. It's a channel on a satellite service you pay for, but the comment eludes more toward something like HBO or Showtime. It's part of your basic package on Direct TV. So, right now, their movies are edited like TNT, TBS, etc.

And, honestly, I didn't mind the editing in THE SHINING. THE SHINING has very little that required alteration.

But, I do agree that CHILLER should follow in the footsteps of other channels like FX, FMC and The Comedy Channel and try airing uncut versions of films after 8 or 9 PM.

Show the older, less graphic stuff from 5 AM to 7 PM, then start airing disclaimers and parental advisories @ 8 PM and air movies and old cable shows like TALES FROM THE CRYPT and THE HITCHHIKER uncut.

Um, actually no. Chiller is not part of the basic Choice package. You need to be a Choice Plus or Premier subscriber to receive the channel.

The editing of The Shining is only a preview of the terrible things coming down the road if this will be the norm. If they CHOOSE to edit out words like "damn", what do you think they will do with 'excessive' gore? This IS a HORROR channel. A major majority of HORROR movies deal with objectionable subject matter and adult language. This isn't the cartoon network. And the WAY they edited the Shining was embarrassing. It was like an 8 year old kid did the voiceover and editing.

I have refused to watch any edited horror movie on network tv for over a decade. Why would I want to watch a PG altered version of the Shining when I have the DVD sitting 4 feet from my couch? That doesn't make sense and therefore shits on my excitement for this new channel.

Other DTV channels like comedy central play unedited shows at night. Chiller CAN do it, and I hope they do it, otherwise it will forever be the Goosebumps children's version of horror. Thanks, but no thanks.

I've waited too long for a horror channel only to see it dead-on-arrival by unnecessary and unwarranted censorship.
Ghoulie
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:27 am  Reply with quote

Chiller Channel is SOCCER MOM CENTRAL

PG-SAFE-P.C.-----Is fuckin Hillary Clinton behind this outrageous shit?

R rated films slimmed down to fit some fucked up norm. Never had this problem when fox movies showed up or any of the others. I guess cuz its a horror channel it riles up the fucked up parents. Land of the free my ass.

Chiller Channel-it showed up but
Christ is it ever a letdown.
Edited Tales from the Crypt-oh fuckin great Annoyed
Raider Redux
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:36 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Choice, Choice Plus -- either way my point is that it's not a pay movie channel like HBO or SHOWTIME.

I'm well aware that there are non premium stations that show some movies at certain hours uncut, and my hope is that eventually CHILLER will indeed do that. However, I don't think just because they are showing edited for television cuts of horror movies at this time makes the channel "dead on arrival". The channel still has plenty to offer, IMO. Especially since we're only 48 hours into its debut.
Raider Redux
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:40 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Ghoulie wrote:
Chiller Channel is SOCCER MOM CENTRAL

PG-SAFE-P.C.-----Is fuckin Hillary Clinton behind this outrageous shit?

R rated films slimmed down to fit some fucked up norm. Never had this problem when fox movies showed up or any of the others. I guess cuz its a horror channel it riles up the fucked up parents. Land of the free my ass.

Chiller Channel-it showed up but
Christ is it ever a letdown.
Edited Tales from the Crypt-oh fuckin great Annoyed

Showing uncut horror films on a non premium cable channel was always going to be an issue.

And yes, because it is horror and not action (FMC) or a raunchy comedy (COMEDY CENTRAL), I think is the difference.
Sirand
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:43 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

This is why Fearnet reins supreme.
Raider Redux
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:57 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Sirand wrote:
This is why Fearnet reins supreme.

I like Fearnet's website quite a bit. Not big on the On Demand thing, though.

And I've yet to see MONSTERS HD. I'm too addicted to my NFL Ticket on Direct TV to make the switch. Wink

But, thus far, I like what I'm seeing on CHILLER and it's about what I expected.

What remains to be seen is how the original programming will shape up.

Horror fans have been clammoring for a horror channel for years, and now they have three. None of them quite perfect, though.

MONSTERS HD is on Dish, which is a small satellite company compared to Direct TV and not readily available.

FEARNET is an On Demand service and not really a channel (and not available to satellite customers)

And CHILLER is only available on Direct TV, will be available on regular cable soon, has a great roster of television shows, but shows edited for television horror films.

We're getting closer. Not there yet, bot definitely closer.

Of all three I think CHILLER has the best chance of being the complete channel. All it would take is showing uncut horror films after 8PM.
Ghoulie
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:46 pm  Reply with quote

just say NO

to censorship.....

Parents-
either be responsible-

OR DON'T SPAWN...

Annoyed
Raider Redux
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:54 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Ghoulie wrote:
just say NO

to censorship.....

Parents-
either be responsible-

OR DON'T SPAWN...

Annoyed

Agreed.

A parent who can't handle the responsibility of monitoring what their child watches surely will not be able to handle the responsibilities of guiding their child through the difficult periods concerning teen sex, drugs, gangs, etc.
Ghoulie
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:23 am  Reply with quote

You know,

I don't see how in the world the CHILLER station could manage films like Hills Have Eyes, Evil Dead, or Last House on the Left for that matter if they are so censor conscious. Annoyed
Raider Redux
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:51 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Ghoulie wrote:
You know,

I don't see how in the world the CHILLER station could manage films like Hills Have Eyes, Evil Dead, or Last House on the Left for that matter if they are so censor conscious. Annoyed

There are already edited for television versions of those films available. So they will more than likely acquire those editions.

Like most of us, I already have those films in my DVD library so I could care less about the airing of the edited for television versions. What I've found most entertaining about the channel is the airing of shows I never got to see such as MONSTERS and FREDDY'S NIGHTMARES. Which, contrary to other reports, have not been edited for content. They are simply the syndicut versions where commercial breaks occur at odd moments and the fade outs have been shortened or eliminated.

What I also find highly entertaining are the airing of films that I don't own that don't require any editing such as the recent airing of THE BAD SEED.

Somebody described this channel as The Sci Fi Channel with better programming. I can agree with that.

It is indeed far better programming.

And far more entertaining.