FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Terror Tube -> Is It March 1st Yet?
FilmCritic3000
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:43 am  Reply with quote

http://www.nbcunicable.com/insidenbccable/movies/chiller/USSA048512.mpg

Is it March 1st yet? Drool

I'll definitely be watching the Chiller previews on The 101 and Sleuth this weekend.

Here's their entire March schedule, BTW.

http://www.nbcunicable.com/insidenbccable/pdf/chiller/schedules/march2007.pdf

Any thoughts on the schedule?
pondo sinatra
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:54 pm  Reply with quote

Is "FLETCH LIVES Chiller's idea of good programming? If so, the channel is lamer than I thought (and it's pretty fucking lame, imo). I checked the Sleuth schedule and the only thing resembline a marathon had THE ISLAND (Michael Caine, not a bad film but NOT horror), FLETCH LIVES, and the PSYCHO remake, and one or two other films that escape me at the moment.

Unless my cable guide (not the magazine but hte online, digital versio ntaht is updated twice daily) is wrong (and that has yet to happen): Chiller is the lite FM of horror.

If that's the "preview," then consider the thing dead in the water. It's as lame as Fangoria magazine when Tony Timpone took over. You know: Pat Boone to the original, Little Richard phenomena...
FilmCritic3000
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:09 pm  Reply with quote

pondo sinatra wrote:
Is "FLETCH LIVES Chiller's idea of good programming? If so, the channel is lamer than I thought (and it's pretty fucking lame, imo). I checked the Sleuth schedule and the only thing resembline a marathon had THE ISLAND (Michael Caine, not a bad film but NOT horror), FLETCH LIVES, and the PSYCHO remake, and one or two other films that escape me at the moment.

Unless my cable guide (not the magazine but hte online, digital versio ntaht is updated twice daily) is wrong (and that has yet to happen): Chiller is the lite FM of horror.

If that's the "preview," then consider the thing dead in the water. It's as lame as Fangoria magazine when Tony Timpone took over. You know: Pat Boone to the original, Little Richard phenomena...

Did you take a look at Chiller's March schedule?...

http://www.nbcunicable.com/insidenbccable/pdf/chiller/schedules/march2007.pdf

There's a notable disparity between what Sleuth airs and what Chiller airs, although I do agree with you that if they're trying to promote Chiller on Sleuth, a more varied array of films should have been chosen.
Messiahman
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:48 pm  Reply with quote

FLETCH LIVES is a Sleuth movie and not part of the marathon. Which is pretty obvious, actually.

The Chiller movie marathon includes THE ISLAND, PSYCHO, I SAW WHAT YOU DID and WAIT UNTIL DARK. A decent preview lineup, all told.
Chainsaw
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:01 pm  Reply with quote

Location: DON'T TOUCH MY BAGS IF YOU PLEASE. MR. CUSTOMS MAN!

Messiahman wrote:
FLETCH LIVES is a Sleuth movie and not part of the marathon. Which is pretty obvious, actually.

The Chiller movie marathon includes THE ISLAND, PSYCHO, I SAW WHAT YOU DID and WAIT UNTIL DARK. A decent preview lineup, all told.

You do realize that the PSYCHO that's mentioned is the Gus Van Sant abortion, correct?

"Guaranteed adventures for every citizen should be in the Bill of Rights."-Sam Hell
Messiahman
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:27 pm  Reply with quote

Chainsaw wrote:
Messiahman wrote:

You do realize that the PSYCHO that's mentioned is the Gus Van Sant abortion, correct?

I know very well that it's Van Sant's version, which I actually don't consider to be quite the "abortion" (and I'm calling a moratorium on the overuse of that uberlame Aintitcool-esque film descriptor) that you do, apparently. It ain't HITCHCOCK, but it sure as hell beats the shit out of garbage remakes like THE HAUNTNG or THE HITCHER, IMO.

Regarless, I'm stoked to see THE ISLAND again.
FilmCritic3000
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:32 pm  Reply with quote

Messiahman wrote:

Exactly.

There's one movie that Chller's airing later in March called Death Valley. The premise sounds like a pretty cool slasher flick. It was made in 1981 and it's apparently out of print. The movie's about a family on vacation in the Southwest that's being pursued by a serial killer. I did a little research and discovered that this was Peter Billingsley (Ralphie from A Christmas Story)'s first movie. Has anyone seen this movie?

In any case, these are the types of films I'm looking forward to seeing on Chiller - those horror films from the late '70s and early '80s that were released on VHS by now-defunct production companies/studios/video distributors. Sure, some/alot of them might be drive-in offal but that's part of the fun of discovering them and I'd rather watch those films than anything SCI FI has to offer on a Saturday night.

I also echo messiahman; I hope Chiller, over time, airs alot of the stuff that hasn't been seen on television in YEARS - Darkroom, Werewolf, Nightmare Cafe, Lights Out, Thriller, and Ray Bradbury Theater (would Swamp Thing qualify?), just to name a few. And then perhaps after Chiller's been on the air a while, they can have hosted movies.
pondo sinatra
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:22 pm  Reply with quote

DEATH VALLEY was indeed a fun little sleeper. Paul LeMat and Peter Billingsly, I believe.

As for the CHILLER schedule - I loked at it, thought it was mostly the same old mainstream crap and see little future for it. It's as mind-numbingly bottom-of-te-barrel, mainstream craptacular as SCI-FI.

I live in a market where CHILLER has been available as an on-demand channel for the last few months. 90% of what's on it are made-for-tv crap flicks from the nineties (not the seventies and early eighties, where there were actually a few good ones), made-for-cable crap like HOOD RATS, and the only decent films that are on offer are - sadly - NOT horror (like THE ISLAND and JUDGMENT NIGHT), and a whole lot of shit.

When a Sony/Universal channel chooses the PSYCHO remake over the original, and the I SAW WHAT YOU DID made-for-tv remake over the original, then I think you know exactly how fucked up it will be. It's clearly run by suits who don't know jack about the wonderful shit they have in their vaults: just like Universal's other televisual abortion, the SCI-FI channel.

I'm surprised they don't have Michael Dorn hosting the "preview," just like they did Sci-Fi 14 years ago. At least SCI-FI started off with a bang. CHILLER starts off with a limp wrist and no balls, and with an asthmatic whoop.

More power to ya if it appeals to you. I'll sit and wish I had Comcast's Something Weird channel, instead.
Messiahman
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:50 pm  Reply with quote

Just curious. You say that Chiller has been available On Demand? What market are you in? Chiller is ONLY available through DirecTV right now, and they have no On Demand service. They only just started talking about beta-testing an On Demand service last month and as far as I know haven't rolled that out anywhere.
Sirand
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:28 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Messiahman wrote:
I know very well that it's Van Sant's version, which I actually don't consider to be quite the "abortion" (and I'm calling a moratorium on the overuse of that uberlame Aintitcool-esque film descriptor) that you do, apparently. It ain't HITCHCOCK, but it sure as hell beats the shit out of garbage remakes like THE HAUNTNG or THE HITCHER, IMO.

Regarless, I'm stoked to see THE ISLAND again.

THANK YOU!

Everyone gets in a tizzy over Psycho, but they fail to realize that Van Sant was performing a big budget "visual experiment," not a remake.
BARCA
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:11 am  Reply with quote

psycho remake = poo-poo

"visual experimant" , wtf? Shot for shot (except one shot in the shower scene...), horrid acting, and inept direction behind the scenes is hardly worthy of expressing this steaming pile as a "visual experiment"!

La Jette is "visual experiment"....Van Sants Psycho is hardly daring...

But, yeah, its way better than most other remakes. Eh-hem, The Fog..?

-Jonnie
Messiahman
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:29 am  Reply with quote

Well, I managed to catch a few of the Chiller previews this weekend and had a nice nostalgic blast. Caught a pretty fun little episode of FRIDAY THE 13th: THE SERIES directed by none other than Atom (THE SWEET HEREAFTER) Egoyan -- a pretty stylish entry steeped in atmosphere and cool lighting. Also checked out a couple of the NEW ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS, the second of which was written and directed by David (creator of THE SOPRANOS) Chase, which also featured appearances by a young Tim Daley and Jeff Fahey. Good stuff.

Seeing the TWIN PEAKS pilot again was cool, as well. Also nice to see GHOST STORY and THE ISLAND pop up. There was even a halfway decent episode of the usually-bad MONSTERS with David McCallum.

Looking forward to revisiting FREDDY'S NIGHTMARES, more FRIDAY THE 13th and the underrated G VS. E when Chiller goes official, not to mention some decent films in the lineup.
pondo sinatra
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:40 pm  Reply with quote

Messiahman wrote:
Just curious. You say that Chiller has been available On Demand? What market are you in? Chiller is ONLY available through DirecTV right now, and they have no On Demand service. They only just started talking about beta-testing an On Demand service last month and as far as I know haven't rolled that out anywhere.

It's definitely on demand through Time-Warner. It is rather inconspicuously lumped into the "Free Movies ON Demand" tier (where Turner Clasic Movies On-Demand, Sundance On-Demand, and Chiller currently perch their respective butts) . It is the Universal horror channel (i. e. Chiller) and it offers up 3-5 (depending on the day of the week and the change over of titles) of the films they advertise in their schedule. In fact, ALL of the films on their lackluster "preview" on Sleuth have been posted on the on-demand channel over the last four months.

Yes, it exists. It sucks, imo. Just because an "official" launch hasn't been press kit'd out to the kids doesn't mean there hasn't been tests of it.

Clearly I was "lucky" enough to be staying in an area where it was being "beta-tested." That, and Time-Warner's macrovisioning of all On-Demand channels. Aren't I lucky? *

(*No, I'm not).
Messiahman
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:36 pm  Reply with quote

Relax man, I wasn't calling you a liar. Rather, I was just genuinely curious.

Although, I think it's notable that an On Demand service is quite different than having to fill 24-hour blocks of programming. Since NBC/Universal have access to HUNDREDS of films and series, it's not inconceivable that there'll be quite a few things of interest popping up as well. Like any channel, you'll have to take the bad with the good. As far as I'm concerned, getting a chance to see some of these series (as well as cool flicks like DEATH VALLEY) again is a very good thing. I know too that they have plans to air DARKROOM, NIGHTMARE CAFE and Morgan and Wong's underrated THE OTHERS -- all very cool. And frankly, any netlet that puts TWIN PEAKS in its regular rotation is all right in my book.

Not to mention the potential for interesting original programming down the line. SCIFI may have pumped out some garbage, but they also brought us FARSCAPE (which would still be on the air if its producers hadn't consistently gone way overbudget), BATTLESTAR GALACTICA and EUREKA in their time.
FilmCritic3000
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:59 pm  Reply with quote

Here's NBC Universal's official press release for the launch of Chiller:

http://www.nbcumv.com/release_detail.nbc/nbcuniversalcable-20070226000000-chillerdebutsonma.html

They'll be airing A Nightmare On Elm Street movies in April.

And apparently Lionsgate will be involved, presence-wise, with Chiller's official website, http://www.chillertv.com , to promote their "After Dark Horrofest" films.

http://nbcumv.com/release_detail.nbc/nbcuniversalcable-20070227000000-nbcuniversal039s.html