FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Shiver Shack -> The Number 23
The Woman In Black
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:56 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Thrall

I'm surprised we didn't already have a thread about this -- was no one even remotely looking forward to it?

Well, I was based on the trailer, but truly, the film itself is nothing but a mess from start to finish. Actually, from 23 minutes after the start until the finish. It had potential, but it all fell apart. At most, I'd give it a 2.

My 23-word review:

Over-wrought
Over-explained
Over-directed
Contrived
Cliche
Anti-climactic
Carrey + Madsen = Zero chemistry
Too many flashbacks
Not enough meat
Best opening credits this year
Cthulhu23
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:02 pm  Reply with quote
Seeking the other 22 Cthulhus

That is a bummer, I thought this really had potential
Tristan Sinns
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:02 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

I'm surprised as well! I agree with you for the most part, though I can't bring myself to call it a horrible film by any means. It's certainly flawed.

My review that I did for Killer Reviews:

Tristan Sinns wrote:

The number 23 is an integer of some ominous history, having been occasionally muttered within the confines of relatively obscure mathematical arcana. The number has some interesting mathematical properties; it’s obviously prime and its reciprocal has a rather unusual pattern. More notoriously, it has an uncanny knack of appearing in historical disasters and other events, in biology, and other scientific fields. This has caused it to be the focus of some obsession. The late great William S. Burroughs, author of The Naked Lunch, even went so far as to take up a scrapbook to detail every occurrence of this odd digit that popped up in his life after noticing the number’s presence in separate tragedies.

Riding on the shoulders of this intriguing bit of numerology is The Number 23, a thriller starring a straight-faced Jim Carrey. While well conveying the anomalous nature of this number and using it to create uneasy tension, the film also flounders somewhat in convenient plot developments and wincing twists.

Jim Carrey stars as William Sparrow, a rather low-key, goofy, every-day-Joe with a job as an animal control officer. Sparrow receives a gift from his wife (Virginia Madsen) in the form of The Number 23, a book written by mysterious author Topsy Kretts. This seemingly harmless book rapidly spawns an obsession in Sparrow as he begins to note strange similarities between himself and the book’s protagonist along with a realization of the number 23’s presence in his life. As his obsession grows, so does his investigation into the number and the book’s author, until finally his obsession leads him into some rather dark revelations.

Jim Carrey also plays a secondary role in Fingerling, the protagonist shown in the moody scenes acted out of the book, The Number 23. These cut scenes are filmed in a heavily stylized fashion, a sort of sultry inner-city film noir conducted in affected colors and soft lenses. Fingerling is cut like some dark twinner of Sparrow, edgy and perhaps even dangerous where Sparrow is just goofy. This juxtaposed presentation of personality works.

The film touches on some rather ominous, if now outright insidious, repercussions of an obsession with the number 23. This is a not often thought of suggestion; that there may be forces in reality that focus their attention on you only after you have focused your attention onto them. The number 23 finds those that seek it. The Mothman Prophecies had similarly spirited boogeymen (though the similarities between the films end there).

One habit the film seems to encourage is finding the hidden bits of 23 throughout. It was rather fun to find the number hiding in a corner, or sign, even when it wasn’t noticed by the film’s characters. Everything falls to the number, even shadows. Watch for it.

Where the film suffers the most is in its third act plot twists and revelations. Things get horribly convenient and rather difficult to swallow. People end up being exactly where the plot needs them, and there are instances of filmic retroactive continuity that feel like a cheat. It managed to fit the bulk of the story into a neat little box, with a neat little ribbon tied in a knot with 23 loops.

A plot that wraps itself up in a convenient fashion is even more a sin in a film where the focus is anomaly and mystery. The number 23 does not provide answers; only strange behavior and disturbing vibrations. The film would have done itself a magical favor by allowing itself the same behavior. It did not need to be convenient. It could have left many questions unanswered and left to the analysis of the audience. Settling the entire mystery by the end of the film was similar to using a rounded pi of 3.14; the result of the equation was close, but just not quite right.

The film has value as a moody thriller and is far from a failure; however its convenient structure and neat packaging stop it from being as creepy as it could have been. Overall, it’s well acted, manages to create some tension, and not all bad. Enjoy.

The Last Exorcism
Piranha 3D
Messiahman
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:38 pm  Reply with quote

Looking forward to it? Seriously? The words "Joel" and "Schumacher" pretty much guaranteed that I could care less.
Terminal
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:06 am  Reply with quote

I'm in agreement. This is from the director of "Bad Company" and "Batman and Robin" for fuck sake.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Slasherfan
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:22 am  Reply with quote

Wasn't Jim Carry in Batman & Robin also? The signs aren't good.
I saw it today and found it pretty boring. I was sort of into it at parts and liked the ending but it's noting that will hold your attention.
This movie will probably be forgotten by Halloween. I'd say when people are doing their best/worst of 2007 they'll all of totally forgotten this thing.
Tristan Sinns
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:37 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Slasherfan wrote:

This movie will probably be forgotten by Halloween.

Well, more like by St. Patrick's Day. Laughing
The Last Exorcism
Piranha 3D
Chainsaw
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:06 pm  Reply with quote

Location: DON'T TOUCH MY BAGS IF YOU PLEASE. MR. CUSTOMS MAN!

I'm still waiting for the Asylum movie "The Number 32"

"Guaranteed adventures for every citizen should be in the Bill of Rights."-Sam Hell
Terminal
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:11 pm  Reply with quote

Chainsaw wrote:
I'm still waiting for the Asylum movie "The Number 32"

No, man, The number 13! It's the obvious number.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
sonny gaunt
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:22 pm  Reply with quote

Messiahman wrote:
Looking forward to it? Seriously? The words "Joel" and "Schumacher" pretty much guaranteed that I could care less.

Bwahahaha. Fuck Schumacher-I really don't think LB is as great as it's made out to be.

Actually my perception is that Sch likes to be fucked.....

Go back to the roots of your family name and make shoes. Which, by knowledge gained from an old German/Jewish butcher I worked with means no good(an insult to be called a shoemaker). If the Schu fits wear it.
Messiahman
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:16 pm  Reply with quote

sonny gaunt wrote:
Bwahahaha. Fuck Schumacher-I really don't think LB is as great as it's made out to be.

People are blinded by nostalgia and still see it through kid's eyes-- THE LOST BOYS isn't simply not great; it absolutely sucks -- and it stinks even worse when you consider that it was released the same year as the superior NEAR DARK. People throw the word "hack" around quite a lot without understanding what it means. This guy is the definition of the word -- a studio hack with no real talent or style.
Legba
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:48 pm  Reply with quote

Just got back from seeing this via free passes.

The story is essentially Weiler's Head Trauma (especially the final act), Hollywoodized in the usual Schumacher fashion...yuck! Avoid...
kiddcapone
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:47 am  Reply with quote

I went to see this tonight. Not good. I almost feel asleep several times. It was just really really boring.

If you break down the actual meat of the story, it has absolutely NOTHING to do with the number 23. Ironic in deed. In that sense, it reminded me of the dreadfully abysmal Summer of Sam.

The movie just didn't work for me. My fiancée liked it, but that might have more to do with the fact SHE picked it. I wanted to see Zodiac but she didn't want to sit through a 2.5 hour movie on a work night.

The Number 23 - 2.3/10
Sirand
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:11 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Messiahman wrote:
sonny gaunt wrote:

People are blinded by nostalgia and still see it through kid's eyes-- THE LOST BOYS isn't simply not great; it absolutely sucks -- and it stinks even worse when you consider that it was released the same year as the superior NEAR DARK. People throw the word "hack" around quite a lot without understanding what it means. This guy is the definition of the word -- a studio hack with no real talent or style.

Gotta disagree with you there.

Personally, I didn't see The Lost Boys until I was in my twenties. It may be nothing more than cheeseball escapism, but I find it far more entertaining than Near Dark, which still makes me frustrated with its lack of focus and deus-ex-machinas.

I'm no "Shumaker fan," but I think 'Lost Boys' '8MM' and 'Phone Booth' are solid films.
Kryten Syxx
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:32 pm  Reply with quote

He just doesn't know how to use Carrey. In the beginning I was starting to think that Schu. could almost be making a decent film for a change but then it started to follow become transparent.