Half-Minute Horrors (Book)

default-featured-image

Half-Minute HorrorsReviewed by Elaine Lamkin

Edited by Susan Rich

Published by HarperCollins

It’s not the usual sort of horror fiction I review for Dread Central, but this little book, geared to ages 10 and up, STILL has some stories that really freaked me out. With contributions from Lemony Snicket, Neil Gaiman, James Patterson, Margaret Atwood, R.L. Stine, and many more, the reader should undoubtedly find something to give him or her the creeps (if not outright nightmares) among the 75 brief tales in the book.

The Legend of Alexandra & Rose from John Klassen is a classic example of less is more AND with a touch of very black humor. In Hiding from Kenneth Oppel was one with an ending I did not see coming even with the story being only 11 sentences long. And Margaret Atwood’s The Creeping Hand was another chiller.

There is even an index so you can find YOUR brand of horror: Afflictions of the Skin, Babysitters/Caretakers, Beds – Under and Around, Body Parts – Dismembered, Clowns, Houses – Spooky and/or Haunted, Monsters, Screams, Summer Camp, Teeth, and even Zombies. And that’s just the tip of the iceberg.

So order your copy of Half-Minute Horrors from the EvilShop below, and if anyone asks, just say it’s for your little brother or sister. After reading something as long as Stephen King’s Under the Dome or Dan Simmons’ Drood, this little book should be the perfect quick scare.

4 1/2 out of 5

Discuss Half-Minute Horrors in our forums!

Share: 
Tags:

Categorized: