FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Terror Tube -> Masters of Horror : Season 2
Messiahman
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:41 am  Reply with quote

The Damned Thing, Pelts and The Black Cat were all exceptional, and I'll be buying each of them on DVD. The rest ranged from mediocre to awful, wth Pro-Life claiming the title of worst episode from both seasons combined -- indeed, it's quite possibly the worst hour of genre television I've seen in the last twenty years or so, and proof that Carpenter has lost anything resembling talent.
dead postman
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:38 pm  Reply with quote

For my money....

1. The Damned Thing
2. Pelts
3. The Black Cat
4. Sounds Like
5. Family
6. Right to Die
7. Screwfly Solution
8. Pro-Life
9. Valerie on the Stairs
10. Dream Cruise
11. The V-Word
12. The Washingtonians
13. We All Scream

These certainly weren't "master works" of horror, but I had a lot of fun overall and hope we get a third season. In an era of remakes and contrived rip-offs, I welcome the chance to see original horror films of this sort. Yes, the episodes could stand to be better, but it's better than nothing. So i'm surprised to hear so many people bag on the series. I'd rather see an uneven horror series than no horror series at all. here's to season three!!
Kaisersoze
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:55 am  Reply with quote

I'm underwhelmed. The season started so well (The Damned Thing, Family), hit a bump (The V Word), then powered on with Sounds Like. Everything since then - with the exceptions of The Screwfly Solution and Right to Die - has been a steady trend downhill.

I'm surprised so many people enjoyed The Black Cat. It took me three viewings to get through without falling asleep, and aside from some impressive shots (particularly of the cascading blood) and the axe in the head, I didn't enjoy anything about it.

I'm with those who have suggested that of the series ends here, we won't be missing much.
theGoldenSimatar
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:45 am  Reply with quote

I can't pick in what order my favs are. But I can definatly say Dream Cruise was the bottom.

I loved Pro-Life, Washingtonians, Screwfly Solution, Right to Die, Valrie on the Stairs & Black Cat were my favs so far I guess.

Missed Damned Thing, Family & V Word.

I have to say this season was defiantly better than last and I hope for a third. And I hope then George A. Romero and Clive Barker will be able to get in on it.

Then maybe a few years break, then they come back with more fresh faces like Neil Marshall & Alexandre Aja.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
What The Cat Dragged In
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:22 pm  Reply with quote

I've yet to see Dream Cruise, but I caught The Black Cat and The Washingtonians two nights ago. I thought the Black Cat was fantastic, and it's the best episode of the season if you ask me. Gordon and Combs rock! I wish I could say I like the Washingtonians, but I can't. Although, the concept is actually somewhat interesting, they just screwed up horibly with it.
sonny gaunt
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:41 am  Reply with quote

Throwing my very late views in. PELTS was aweful. Based on a great writer's work or not it was pathetic.

Argento should take up a funds raising group to finance his vision. For those of us willing to GIVE him 10,000 cash for expectation off back royalties. Then maybe he can deliver what fans of his work(with the financial muscle) want.
It was akin to viewing a man on his death's bed trying to thank all of the people he loved...some heart but a fuckin' total waste of time. Terrible acting, shit effects(guy in car's "pelt" had a totally different hue than his skin) AND HELLO SPACEBOY............

Last edited by sonny gaunt on Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 am; edited 1 time in total
grendel
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:38 am  Reply with quote

I hope they make another season.

My dream list for Season 3:
1. David Croenberg
2. Geaorge A. Romero
3. Sam Raimi
4. Wes Craven
5. Guillermo del Toro
6. Peter Jackson
7. William Friedkin
8. Roman Polanski
9. Neil Marshall
10. Clive Barker
11. James Gunn
12. Alexandre Aja
13. Eduardo Sanchez

I would knock off almost any of these if Takasashi Miike would do another one though. I can dream.
Dirka_dirka
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:39 pm  Reply with quote

I would have to say that my favs were The Damned Thing and Family, overall though it was disappointing. I had higher hopes for the season.

Although I was reading on wiki and it said there was going to be a season 3 in 07 but no details. Lets hope the upcoming season improves.
Bone Daddy
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:31 pm  Reply with quote

I've taken a short break from horror. Am now getting back into it and Pelts was the first horror film I've seen in 2 months. It has been praised heaps and while it delivered in the red, 'wet' and sexual titillation departments, I felt it fell short in other areas. The acting was rote and dialog stilted. Argento's eye for color is spot on, but the thing felt like a worn faux rabbit fur coat.

HORRORCHILDX
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 4:10 am  Reply with quote

pelts & family were without a doubt the best eps of the series for season 2.
Terminal
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:04 am  Reply with quote

Hey Kryten, excellent review on "Pro-Life." Watching it a second time it really doesn't hold up well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dead and Messed Up
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:23 am  Reply with quote

grendel wrote:
I hope they make another season.

My dream list for Season 3:
1. David Croenberg
2. Geaorge A. Romero
3. Sam Raimi
4. Wes Craven
5. Guillermo del Toro
6. Peter Jackson
7. William Friedkin
8. Roman Polanski
9. Neil Marshall
10. Clive Barker
11. James Gunn
12. Alexandre Aja
13. Eduardo Sanchez

I would knock off almost any of these if Takasashi Miike would do another one though. I can dream.

That's a great list. I'd also like to see Larry Fessenden, Kiyoshi Kurosawa, Hideo Nakata, the Pang brothers, Eli Roth, Rob Zombie, and maybe even Edgar Wright get involved.

As for Season 2:

1. The Black Cat
2. Family
3. The Damned Thing
4. Pelts
5. Sounds Like
6. Valerie on the Stairs
7. The Screwfly Solution
8. Right to Die
9. We All Scream for Ice Cream
10. The Washingtonians
11. The V Word
12. Pro-Life

I thought 1-5 were exemplary, 6-9 were serviceable, and the rest were pretty bad. I'm shocked Pro-Life was as awful as it was, given how good Cigarette Burns was.
Bone Daddy
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:21 pm  Reply with quote

Watched The Damned Thing. Alot of folks liked it here. I must have missed something, for it was a muddled, dull, mess of an episode.

So far have viewed The Damned Thing-Pelts and The Washingtonians. All have left me wanting.