FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Best-cellars -> Dark Delicacies, in the news!
Ultimo Franco
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:45 am  Reply with quote

Yahoo News - Associated Press

There's a great story about independent genre bookstores on the home page of Yahoo News right now. Check out the link above. The story includes a few comments from the one and only Jovanka Vuckovic, foxy femme editor of Rue Morgue.

Being a loyal weekly customer, the mention of Dark Delicacies really made my day. Do yourself a favor. If you love horror lit, and want to try collecting signed special edition copies of books by Ketchum, Landsdale, and hundreds of others, check out their online site, or pick up the phone and give 'em a call. Del and Sue will get your signed collection looking sweet in no time. They're nice people too.

Quote:
Jovanka Vuckovic, editor of Rue Morgue, a monthly horror magazine based in Toronto, said horror and other specialty genres draw a specific type of reader, one who is always looking for new voices.

"Horror fans are total regulars and they are rabid fans and consumers," she said. "When you're a horror fan you're a horror fan for life. It always sticks with you. You rarely meet someone who says 'I loved horror films as a kid but I don't watch them anymore.'"

Such readers are also willing to pay a little extra for special editions by their favorite writers, said Barry Hoffman, the publisher at Colorado Springs-based Gauntlet Press, which sells to individual readers as well as bookstores.

"The niche stores are the ones that continue to survive and thrive because they can do things that chains can't do. People seek them out," said Hoffman, who is also a horror author of mass market titles such as "Judas Eyes."

Burbank's Dark Delicacies only sells horror-related books and merchandise. It divides its collection into categories like werewolf novels, vampire novels and books about horror films.

Owner Del Howison said choosing the right spot is critical. Dark Delicacies' proximity to Hollywood allows the store to host DVD and poster signing parties, feature horror authors with Hollywood ties and sell to a receptive clientele.

"We're the epitome of location, location, location," Howison said. "I wouldn't even know what to buy in a general bookstore. If you deal in something you don't know you're going to be in big trouble."

Congrats to all, including Borderlands, one of my favorites stops in California.

Thumbs Up
The Butcher
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:34 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

I was just in LA visiting friends and doing interviews for my upcoming show NIGHTMARE ALLEY (think Wayne's World meets 80's era Fangoria with art damage) and my project partner Ben and I decided to swing by Dark Delicasies on the way to Screamfest 2006 at Graumman's.

Ben :"We're not spending ANY money right?"

Me: "Damn straight"

So we take a couple pics with the big ole' Frankensteing they have out front and then go in just to check it out and give it a once over. We'll shop next time...

yeah right.

Literally 3 feet in the door we are hit with a display of the new pressing of the coffee table book CRYSTAL LAKE MEMORIES and author Peter Bracke and FT13 composer H/ Menfreddini are there signing.

I bought one. Ben bought one. AND we bought one for the woman who was putting us up for the weekend.

Kiss 130 bucks goooooood-bye!

I can't wait to go back and get broke once again though! Awesome store.

We have an AMAZING and hallowed horror/fantasy/sci-fi literature shop here in Berkeley, CA too called DARK CARNIVAL. More than worth checking out. And actuially bigger than DARK DELICASIES. But they are apples and oranges as well. Both are great great shops.
Ultimo Franco
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:10 am  Reply with quote

The Butcher wrote:
We have an AMAZING and hallowed horror/fantasy/sci-fi literature shop here in Berkeley, CA too called DARK CARNIVAL.

Is that the place that specializes in horror paperbacks? I visited a store in Berkeley a few years ago, but I can't remember the name. It was literally full, from floor to ceiling, of every single genre paperback you could possibly want. Room upon room, around corners, up stairs, books everywhere on shelves and in piles.

I could have spent a week in there and barely cracked the surface of their inventory.

I fogot the name of that place, and couldn't find it when I visited Berekley last month. I had to drive into SF's mission district and stop at Borderlands instead. Good stuff there too!