FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Terror Tube -> Masters of Horror : Season 2
brainee
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:55 pm  Reply with quote

Mephistopheles wrote:
Anyway, one of the thing that set me off was the way they handled the tone. The thing with Little is, no matter how bizarre and absurd the situation is, he usually takes himself seriously which makes it all the more blackly comic. By making the Washingtonian's high camp and going "Hyuk, hyuk you look good enough to eat!" it lost its dark satire and at times made it embarrasing to watch.

And the ending was changed as well; in the book it was revealed that the professor was a member of the Washingtonians' equivalent to the British red coats, which was pretty hillarious. Having him come out with the SWAT team was anticlimatic.

Anyway, I didn't hate it as much as everyone else has seem to have done but it could have been much better.

I haven't read the story, but based on what you say I agree with your assessment. It IS an interesting idea, and I can see how it could make for a fun little story. Reminded me a bit of "Ravenous", but instead of taking over a fort the guy actually goes on to become the leader of our country. Wth a dash of "Da Vinci Code" historical conspiracies and secret societies, done in a dark satirical way. I think Andrew Karth's DC review nails it well. Despite good intentions, the tone just feels off throughout. When they're trying to be scary and suspenseful, it's not. And when they go for outright laughs, its cringe-inducing. Obviously, logic and plotting go way out the window (you could poke a million holes in it). Not the worst in the series IMO, but no better than mediocre.
Terminal
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:54 am  Reply with quote

Wow.

Two awful episodes.

I thought "The Black Cat" was a mildly entertaining twisted episode until the cheap ass happy ending. And "The Washingtonians" was an awful piece of garbage about patriotic cannibals with a veiled commentary of the government that was about as subtle as being kicked down the stairs.

And goddamn Schaech's performance sucked. "Eat ME. Eat ME You SONS of BITCHES!"

And that ending?! Give me a fucking break!

This season was going so good too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
birdie
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:02 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
We all love Mick Garris and what hes done for our beloved genre

Shocked
dead postman
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:40 pm  Reply with quote

I'll go out on a limb and say I actually liked the Washingtonians [ducks, bobs, weaves].

I thought it was an interesting idea that kept a kind of creepy, intriguing tone -- until the Washingtonians actually show up. At that point, Medak had a decision to make -- play it for laughs or scares. he chose laughs, without much success. i didn't like the hammy dialogue once the tone shifted. i did like the gore, but didn't like the stage dress, and found it hard to take the threat seriously -- not only because of the way the film was put together -- but also because powdered wigs and ruffles in modern society just looks silly, not scary. So if Medak had gone for the scares, I'm afraid it might not have worked -- and he knew it might very well fall flat. So he went for some bizarre humor and social satire, instead. I think he nailed the satire, fumbled the humor. But the episode was fast-paced, clever, original and was fun overall, so I was definitely entertained. It's definitely not a great film, but I certainly didn't feel that I wasted my time, or that scorn should be heaped upon the series for serving up such an affront to the genre. .
Dr Malachi Constant
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:05 pm  Reply with quote
Awaiting a Nifty Title

I know The Washingtonians was bad. Ham-handed, thru and thru... yet, for some reason, completely despite myself, it kinda got me. The exact thought I remember having, when those wigs were knocking at their door, was "Holy shit, they made an episode of Are You Afraid of the Dark?" It was just fun to watch. I knew it sucked, but it sucked in a sort of nostalgic way, to me, for that very reason. I grew up on that show.
Kryten Syxx
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:08 pm  Reply with quote

I just wrote up the review for Pelts' DVD. It should be on the site sometime this week.
Howl at Astronauts
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:23 pm  Reply with quote

I finally saw the Washingtonians.

OK, I know it's supposed to be only one hour but the way it build up the suspense felt rushed as Hell. There was no tension whatsoever.

Also the idea was to have a cult of people dressed like people from George Washington's time where they are cannibals. The initial idea is outrageous enough but couldn't they have make it so that it make half a sens..? Seeing paintings of GW in orgies of blood was so stupid.

I think the main problem was that a subject like this probably needed more time to develop into something actually scary. These guys could not even write a proper parchement! Why wasn't the letter written by Washington little more than three phrase...? It would have had more weight and power had it been a full page at least. LOL this actually represent this whole endeavor well. Too little for the amount of time wich results in less than nothing.

Also the professor friend of the lead character was awful. Like the rest of the movie he was a cartoon character with ridiculous theories.

The only redeemable thing was then old man. He reminded me of the preacher from Poltergeist 2.
Johnny Butane
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:12 pm  Reply with quote
Elf Fluffer

Andrew's review of the final MoH Season 2 episode, "Dream Cruise", is up right here. How I wish it could've ended with a bang...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Caterpillar
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:08 pm  Reply with quote

Johnny Butane wrote:
Andrew's review of the final MoH Season 2 episode, "Dream Cruise", is up right here. How I wish it could've ended with a bang...

The part about the propellers getting clogged with long black hair cracked me up. J-Horror is so fucking dead.
Terminal
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:50 pm  Reply with quote

Johnny Butane wrote:

Great review Andrew!

It's sad. This season started out so well and then... nothing.

And I agree, Caterpillar, the hair in the propeller thing was odd. I had to read that twice to see if Kasch was making it up.
Terminal
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:01 am  Reply with quote

"Dream Cruise" was boring, dull, predictable, and just pure shit.

Not as awful as "Washingtonians," but still pretty bad.

Sad ending to a season filled with hope.
Sirand
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:19 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Dream Cruise should've ended with Steven Seagal popping out of the ocean in a wet suit to save the day. Then it would've received 5 knives.
Terminal
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:24 am  Reply with quote

Sirand wrote:
Dream Cruise should've ended with Steven Seagal popping out of the ocean in a wet suit to save the day. Then it would've received 5 knives.

I stopped reviewing these on my site after "Right to Die." It's just not in me to review this show anymore.

The worst part includes the girl drowning in the bathroom, and while the American dude is battling with a decapitated arm, she screams "I need a hand here!"

Hardy fucking har.
TsMkLg068426
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:40 am  Reply with quote

Dream Cruise was not all that bad except the black long hair crap again that J-horror is still doing, that is so 2 years. I wonder if there is already plans for Masters of Horror season 3 if so please be like 1st season with awesome soundtrack and better stories with lot more gore, this seasons (2nd season) was weak.
What The Cat Dragged In
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:41 am  Reply with quote

I've actually missed the last three episodes. From reading what you guys have to say, it seems like I haven't missed much. Hopefully, I'll like these episodes when I eventually do catch them.