FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Terror Tube -> Simpsons Halloween episodes
joe6panther6
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:54 pm  Reply with quote

Is it just me when I say that the Simpsons Halloween episodes are the best and blow away anything Family Guy will ever come up with..?

Maybe that's pushing it but I get stoked every Halloween when the Simpsons come on with their thing.. Funny as hell!
pondo sinatra
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:53 pm  Reply with quote

joe6panther6 wrote:
Is it just me when I say that the Simpsons Halloween episodes are the best and blow away anything Family Guy will ever come up with..?

Maybe that's pushing it but I get stoked every Halloween when the Simpsons come on with their thing.. Funny as hell!

That's pushing NOTHING. It's QFT (Quite fucking true). At its worst, THE SIMPSONS destroys any episode of FAMILY GUY. FG started off alright, but by the end of its first season it got old, fast. I warms my heart that the makers of THE SIMPSONS, SOUTH PARK and KING OF THE HILL (all vastly superior to FG) hate that show with a passion. I don't hate FAMILY GUY, but I'm mystified at its longevity. It's pretty mediocre.

THE SIMPSONS' annual "Tree House of Horror" is a great tradition. Of course, a lot of the material they lovingly adapt and take the piss out of was great, too.

I'm partial to the one where Homer smokes Ned Flanders, mistaking him for a zombie (he wasn't)! I feel old, because I cannot recall which season that is from.

All hail President Kang!
BlackFlagg
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:59 pm  Reply with quote

Halloween eps are always good. Still surprised they haven't done a Psycho spoof with Skinner and his mother though, heh
Cthulhu23
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:11 pm  Reply with quote
Seeking the other 22 Cthulhus

Damn man, that WOULD make a great episode!
joe6panther6
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:22 pm  Reply with quote

yep.. I knew I was right on this one. Family Guy would be nothing if it wasn't for the Simpsons.
BlackFlagg
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:00 pm  Reply with quote

Cthulhu23 wrote:

Thumbs Up I can see it now. Homer steals money from Burns and goes on the run, he ends up at the Skinner Motel...the shower scene just writes itself. Very Happy
Gus Bjork
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:22 pm  Reply with quote

BlackFlagg wrote:
Cthulhu23 wrote:

Thumbs Up I can see it now. Homer steals money from Burns and goes on the run, he ends up at the Skinner Motel...the shower scene just writes itself. Very Happy

That is a great idea. The first season did have the Psycho parody when Maggie wacks Homer with a hammer and the red paint going down the floor drain.

But yeah you could have Wiggim going up the stairs like Arbogast did.

I look at Family Guy and the Simpsons as two different things, throwing South Park in as well. They each have a different style even though the set-ups have some similiarities. I have to admit that I have gotten some huge laughs from FG but the show itself is just a frame for a series of gags with no real cleverness in the stories.

But in my opinion the best animated series is Futurama.
pondo sinatra
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:43 pm  Reply with quote

[quote="Gus Bjork"]
BlackFlagg wrote:

I look at Family Guy and the Simpsons as two different things, throwing South Park in as well.

FG wouldn't be a FOX propertly, let alone exist if it wasn't for the success and ground work laid out by THE SIMPSONS. In fact, its entire structure and family dynamic (boy, girl, baby, dumb father, sexy mother out of touch with what's going on at the present) was lifted from THE SIMPSONS, something the SIMPSONS folks are very well aware of. For me, THE SIMPSONS adapted with the times and there is marked difference between its early seasons to the present. FAMILY GUY just feels like S. S. D.S. all of the time. It's not without irony that one of its voice actors - Seth Green - has a superior animated project of his own: ROBOT CHICKEN.

As for FUTURAMA. I got bored with it quickly, but I respect it. It's markedly different than Groening's LIFE IN HELL and THE SIMPSONS, despite sharing the same creative wellspring. FAMILY GUY and AMERICAN DAD are so similar that it's like the emperor has no clothes for its creative tream.

SOUTH PARK is its own entitty, indeed. However, by virtue of being an animated sitcom with rich characters, and being one that fired (rightful) lobs at FG's bewildering popularity and lack of creative and aeasthetic growth it's very easy to throw it in the mix. Unliek FAMILY GUY but very much like THE SIMPSONS, SOUTH PARK changed the face of American television and has broken a lot of ground. It has also remaind fresh and broken the decade mark in its longevity. If FAMILY GUY makes it to the decade mark (and it's close to it, since it premiered in 1998, if i rememebr correcty) but it really mystifies me as to why. On the other hand, it wasn't a straight decade. It was out of production for a year or two before it was revived, so I'm not sure it can qualify for a decade, really. Then again, I love KING OF THE HILL and am happily mystified that it has survived for as long as it has, since I don't meet a lot of people who watch it, FOX hs fucked the shit out of it through piss poor scheduling since 2000, and it is (intentionally) the most laid back of all the animated sitcoms that emerged from the 90s... Confused
reno
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:44 am  Reply with quote

the last 3 seasons of both south park and family guy arent that great but its still way....WAY better than anything simpson as done in almost 10 years.

I dont know if its because i was a simpson fan when i was a kid but i cant stand watching the new episodes. It's horrible. I try to watch one or two a year but its just not funny at all. Sometime it even feels like a family guy-wannabe. Its pathetic.
Sirand
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:33 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

BlackFlagg wrote:
Halloween eps are always good. Still surprised they haven't done a Psycho spoof with Skinner and his mother though, heh

They actually did it in a non-Halloween episode, just as a side joke.

Nice to see some Family Guy hate here. That show is nothing but interchangeable jokes with characters all modeled after The Simpsons. That episode of South Park last season was so DEAD ON.
Desdinova
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:36 pm  Reply with quote

[quote="pondo sinatra"]
Gus Bjork wrote:
In fact, its entire structure and family dynamic (boy, girl, baby, dumb father, sexy mother out of touch with what's going on at the present) was lifted from THE SIMPSONS. . .

. . . which was lifted from Married With Children, which was lifted, as a parody, from every other family-based sitcom. . . .
Gus Bjork
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:27 am  Reply with quote

[quote="Desdinova"]
pondo sinatra wrote:
Gus Bjork wrote:
In fact, its entire structure and family dynamic (boy, girl, baby, dumb father, sexy mother out of touch with what's going on at the present) was lifted from THE SIMPSONS. . .

. . . which was lifted from Married With Children, which was lifted, as a parody, from every other family-based sitcom. . . .

I think your quote box got messed up.
pondo sinatra
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:25 pm  Reply with quote

[quote="Desdinova"]
pondo sinatra wrote:
Gus Bjork wrote:

Similar, for sure. However, the point is this: FAMILY GUY wants to be THE SIMPSONS but lacks the gravitas while completely lifting their character dynamic and presentation of jokes from the superior, older show. Would FG exist without the SIMPSONS? Defintiely not. However, THE SIMPSONS existed before FAMILY GUY.