FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Terror Tube -> The Dresden Files
GODHOOD
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:14 am  Reply with quote

Tonight's episode "Birds of a Feather" A 10 year old boy comes to Dresden claiming that monsters are after him.

Premieres on the Sci-Fi channel at 9 p.m. est with a repeat at 11 p.m. est.
Chainsaw
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:17 pm  Reply with quote

Location: DON'T TOUCH MY BAGS IF YOU PLEASE. MR. CUSTOMS MAN!

Is it just me, or isn't this basically Clive Barker's Harry D'Amore character?

Eh, either way, I'll give it a spin.

"Guaranteed adventures for every citizen should be in the Bill of Rights."-Sam Hell
Elf
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:37 am  Reply with quote

It's based off of an urban fantasy series by Jim Butcher.

Harry Dresden is a wizard who's also a private eye. The best way to describe the books is Harry Potter grown up, on the wrong side of the tracks, with an evil grandmother mixed with Phillip Marloe written by Joss Whedon. And yet that doesn't even describe how awesome the Harry Dresden Files are.

Because the books are so awesome, the show's gonna suck.
MidnightDreamer
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:40 pm  Reply with quote

Son of a bitch!! I missed it!!

I've read a few in the series so I was really looking forward to this.

Did any one catch it?
zombie2473
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:41 pm  Reply with quote

I downloaded it free off iTunes. It didnt look very interesting to me from the previews, but after seeing the episode, i think i'll give it a chance. It was pretty good.
Elf
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:57 am  Reply with quote

It's quite a bit different than the books, but however, once you get over that it's a pretty good show. No "Buffy", but few things are. It seems more landed towards the Horror element than anything else.

However, I highly suggest giving the books a read. The book Harry and the TV Show Harry are two different characters as are the Bobs. The Bob in a book doesn't know the difference between Good and Evil (He's just a spirit of knowledge) and is an absoulte pervert and digs bodice burster romance novels. While neat in the series, still, I miss the wise cracking little creep from the books.

Also, in the books, Harry didn't need an outside conscience. His did enough for him. Still, once you look past the differences, it's a good show.
Messiahman
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:13 pm  Reply with quote

Okay, I've never read the books, but having watched the first few episodes of the television series, I really don't want to. From the three episodes I've seen, THE DRESDEN FILES fails on pretty much every level. Lead character Harry Dresden is llittle more than a dull pastiche of John Constantine and Harry D'Amour but not one tenth as interesting as either. Actor Paul Blackthorne has no charisma whatsoever, nor does he share any chemistry whatsoever with his pet ghost, Bob (isn't that Terrence Mann from CRITTERS??) or the one-dimensional cardboard cutout female cop character. And hey, why bother with actual characterization at all, right? Rolling Eyes

The dialogue alternates between atrocious and lazy, the plotlines are hackneyed and formulaic, and the overall feeling is one of cheapness, with obvious Vancouver locations subbing for Chicago and a lot of bad fx work. This is pretty much on the level of FOREVER KNIGHT and HIGHLANDER: THE SERIES (and that's not a compliment). I doubt we'll be seeing a second season, and that's no real loss.
Terminal
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:38 pm  Reply with quote

I'm done with The Dresden Files. It's just exhausting to sit through. I love the whole wizard/gumshoe shit, but it's just so dull and draining. I saw about four episodes and I just couldn't give it a chance anymore.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address