Saw, Slither & Snakes Seek Saturn

default-featured-image

33rd Annual Saturn Award Nominees AnnouncedOh, how I love alliteration!

As most of Hollywood braces itself for this weekend’s upcoming Spirit Awards on Saturday and the Oscars on Sunday, genre fans are basking in the glow of the recently announced nominees for the 33rd Annual Saturn Awards. Saturn Awards are handed out by The Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror, a non-profit organization founded in 1972 whose membership is open to the public.

Categories include Best Science Fiction, Fantasy, Horror, Action/Adventure/Thriller, Animated, and International Films; and among those vying for that beautiful statue you see on the right are The Descent, Final Destination 3, Hostel, Saw III, Slither, and Snakes on a Plane (Best Horror Film); Pan’s Labyrinth and The Host (International); Perfume: The Story of a Murderer (Action/Adventure/Thriller); and Monster House and A Scanner Darkly (Animated). Excellent choices overall although I’m not too sure about FD3.

In addition, Guillermo del Toro and Tom Tykwer are up for Best Director, and Greg Nicotero is nominated twice for Best Make-Up for TCM: The Beginning and The Hills Have Eyes. Multiple genre celebrities were given the nod in acting categories, and DC staff writer Andrew Kasch will no doubt be thrilled to see that Old Boy is included in the Best DVD Special Edition Release category (as is my choice, King Kong).

TV shows and performers are entered into the mix as well with nominations for such favorites as Heroes, Lost, Dexter, The Lost Room, Masters of Horror, and lots more. Seeing the names Michael C. Hall, Patricia Arquette, Masi Oka, James Remar, Ali Larter, and Hayden Panettiere on the list of acting nominees should bring a smile to many of our readers’ faces.

And that’s just the tip of the iceberg! Click here for the Saturn Awards official site and a full list of all the nominees. The winners will be announced on Thursday, May 10, 2007 in Universal City, and hosting the event will be actor Greg Grunberg and comedian Jeffrey Ross. The envelope please. . .

Debi Moore

Got news? Click here to submit it!
Want some free stuff? Bring new blood to our forums! Details here!

Win Free Stuff in the Dread Central Membership Drive

Share: 
Tags:

Categorized: