Cast and Crew Chat Saw III

default-featured-image

I have to say, despite the fact that Lionsgate is churning out the sequels as fast as we can buy tickets and DVDs for them, Saw III is starting to sound pretty damn good.

Our first day at Comic Con, Sean got the chance to interview Shawnee Smith, Leigh Whannell, and Darren Lynn Bousman about the upcoming sequel. The video of those interviews should be coming up next week on the site, but I wanted to give you a taste of what we found out.

The lovely Shawnee Smith chats with the not-so-lovely Sean Clark

Shawnee Smith assured us that fans are going to feel good about the money they spend to see the sequel and teased that her character is going to have a much bigger role this time out: “You’re going to learn a lot more about Amanda, more than you ever wanted to know probably.” When asked if the iconic image of her in the jaw trap would be bested, she told us, “There are some radical devices in this movie, more so than the last two. It’s possible that the jaw trap will be outdone, yes.”

“I can say, from the bottom of my heart, that this is going to be a good film,” co-writer/producer Leigh Whanell promised. “The film is much more emotional. [Jigsaw] knows he’s going to die, and he knows when he does, he’s going to be forgotten if he doesn’t do something rash. Essentially, the film is about losing control.”

Leigh Whannell suddenly realizes there is some nasty dental work behind him...

Leigh also commented on their luck at having found long-time character actor Tobin Bell for the lead. “I can’t believe we got so lucky with Tobin; all we needed for the first film was for someone to come in and lie on the floor. We could’ve gotten anyone to do that, we could’ve got Michael Winslow from Police Academy for that, but we got a great actor, instead.” Though I agree Bell is a great choice for a killer, imagine how different it would be if Winslow did get that role…

Anyway, director Darren Lynn Bousman let us in on the timeline of Saw III while we were at it. “It picks up very soon after Saw II. Jigsaw is still on his deathbed, and he’s going downhill very fast, you know he’s not going to make it much longer, but towards the end there’s one final big kill.” So does that mean no Tobin for Saw IV? “I didn’t say that, no! We’ll have to see…” Ohhh… tantalizing. But I mean really, how long can one guy with terminal cancer live, for God’s sake?

Saw III director Darren Lynn Bousman wants to make sure we all know who the director of Saw III is.

“It is easily the goriest of the three, if not the goriest mainstream film to be released in the last 20 years,” Whannell teased. “It’s up to the MPAA how much gets on the screen of course, but it’s out there. I wrote it, and I was physically ill watching some of the scenes.” Now that is what we like to hear!

Saw III is due out in theaters this October; be sure to check out the film’s official site for more creepy goodies, and keep your eyes on this site for our Saw III video chats very soon!

Johnny Butane

Got news? Click here to submit it!
Wish you could hang out with Shawnee Smith in our forums!

Share: 

Categorized: