Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> GOW Beats PS3
Sylizar
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:53 pm  Reply with quote

To me this game beats the PS3 right there Razz
Nephlabobo
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:13 am  Reply with quote

Yawn.

So what?

The PS3 has been out for a couple of weeks.

If all it takes is an average, run of the mill shooter to distract you from the PS3, why do we need to hear about it?
Uncle Creepy
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:11 pm  Reply with quote
Pop Culture Icon

There's nothing average or run of the mill about Gears of War. To even insinuate that just shows how sour you are that it's an XBOX exclusive. Really, what is the point of hating on a system?
Nephlabobo
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:44 pm  Reply with quote

Uncle Creepy wrote:
There's nothing average or run of the mill about Gears of War. To even insinuate that just shows how sour you are that it's an XBOX exclusive. Really, what is the point of hating on a system?

Ah yes, to even insinuate something is flawed with the all holy GoW means my opinion can't *possibly* be valid. I *must* be a fanboy.

Whatever. Grow up.

I played it for an hour. It was dull. It's a whole bunch of shooting in confined spaces. With incredibly cliched characters and plot.

Yes, I like my games to have a semblance of a plot, even my shooters.

The only thing really going for it is that it looks fantastic.

There are much, much better shooters out there than GoW.

And the endless, tiresome "Sony is worse than Hitler" threads are fucking ridiculous.

It's not about which company I like. It's the fact nowadays, gaming forums are completely "red state/blue state". You can't talk about one system without bashing another.

If you think criticising a run of the mill game is "hating" because it's an exclusive, that's you're right. But I'd suggest you get your head out of your ass and look at the bigger picture.
PrairieGhost
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:07 pm  Reply with quote

If you only played Gears for an hour then you didn't get to the good stuff. It has a great storyline. Play it on INSANE and you'll think different about it being boring or run of the mill.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Uncle Creepy
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:35 am  Reply with quote
Pop Culture Icon

<--only this many *holds up two fingers*
PrairieGhost
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:12 am  Reply with quote

Laughing
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cthulhu23
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:55 pm  Reply with quote
Seeking the other 22 Cthulhus

My Gears of War will be here Friday or Saturday Very Happy
PrairieGhost
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:01 pm  Reply with quote

Cthulhu23 wrote:
My Gears of War will be here Friday or Saturday Very Happy

Awesome! We'll have to get a dread room going some night. I will have to wait till I get my 360 back from repair.
Cthulhu23
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:04 pm  Reply with quote

Sounds great!

What is wrong with your 360?
PrairieGhost
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:48 pm  Reply with quote

Cthulhu23 wrote:
Sounds great!

It would tell me I needed to put my disc in an xbox 360 console. I called them and they said it was a hardware issue.
Finnegan
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:51 am  Reply with quote

Nephlabobo wrote:
There are much, much better shooters out there than GoW.

This statement could not be further off the mark. Gears of War has everything the "shooter" market of gaming could demand: top notch graphics, quick and up-tempo gameplay, fluid and consistent physics engine, revolutionary character combat movement and a great story line that hints there is more to come.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and this is something I never oppose. However, if your opinion is not logically supported then it is my opinion that you're an idiot - and in this case I believe that your opinion is not supported at all. Playing the game for an hour doesn't even get you past Act One. The story in this game works like it does in any other story based game, film, or book: it begins slowly, enveloping whoever might be reading or playing or watching it, develops character through the plot gives you a sense of what is going on, and then the stakes are risen however many times until you reach the climax. You don't get great story and action from one hour of gameplay. You get the training simulator.

As for Sony, having ulterior motives is probably the cause of their terrible launch. Sony figured that they might as well try and get the market to move to blu-ray discs and HDTC all at once with their system. Why? Who knows, and who cares? Sony knew that there was going to be a massive demand for the PS3 yet they deliberately designed the system with technology that is, for the most part, not accessible to most of the gaming community. Everyone knows that HDTVs are not a common household item, hell, people are still catching up to the plasma screen. What is the result of including such hi-tech equipment? A $700 price tag. The inability to produce a mere 700,000 units total, 350,000 of which were supposed to go the United States - I've read articles reporting the final number of systems shipped was anywhere between 75,000 to 160,000. The majority of the gaming market won't even be able to utilize the technology included in the PS3 for a long time. Not even worth it.

Everyone just buys PS3s to resell them. No one actually wants the system.
Cthulhu23
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:09 pm  Reply with quote

PrairieGhost wrote:
Cthulhu23 wrote:
Sounds great!

It would tell me I needed to put my disc in an xbox 360 console. I called them and they said it was a hardware issue.

Weird
Cthulhu23
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:27 pm  Reply with quote

Ok, so I got my GOW on Friday. Have not been able to play it alot yet, but what I have I like.
thedarkestshadow
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:32 pm  Reply with quote

Uncle Creepy wrote:

to me it sounds like you are the fanboy. That game sucks. Even my 360 fanboy friend thinks so and he loves that kind of game. Its average at best and it is run of the mill. Halo is better and i hate halo. As for it being an exclusive.. big deal. And before you even try to accuse me of hating the system i plan to get one at some point but not before i get a ps3. which will still be late next year if then.