Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Terror Tube -> "Preacher" Being Developed for HBO
The Buz
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:47 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Chainsaw wrote:
Atomic_Ilk wrote:
Pretty much all that has been said are my thoughts.

Except that TCM The Beginning sucked just as much as the Daredevil DC.

Other than that. Bring on the PREACHER!

(live action or animation?)

Huh. Y'know, I never considered animation. Done in the Steve Dillon style...it could work.

Personally, I think the only way this could be a huge sucess is if Steve and Garth are involved from day one. If they can't get into it, then it's just not going to be the same.

Ah well...beats the piss out of a 2 hour movie.

The new article up has calmed my nerves. I love the idea of bring in guess directors for episodes and shit.

Now the real question is...who are they going to cast?
Sirand
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:21 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

All I can say is...

Brace for controversy. The religious right is gonna go absolutely fucking apeshit.
EvilRex
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:26 am  Reply with quote

Atomic_Ilk wrote:
Chainsaw wrote:
Atomic_Ilk wrote:

Huh. Y'know, I never considered animation. Done in the Steve Dillon style...it could work.

Personally, I think the only way this could be a huge sucess is if Steve and Garth are involved from day one. If they can't get into it, then it's just not going to be the same.

The new article up has calmed my nerves. I love the idea of bring in guess directors for episodes and shit.

Rob Zombie could come in and guest direct a couple episodes from the "All in the Family" story arc and reunite Tyler Mane and Bill Mosley as Jody and T.C.

Just a thought.
The Buz
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:11 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

EvilRex wrote:
Atomic_Ilk wrote:
Chainsaw wrote:
Atomic_Ilk wrote:

Rob Zombie could come in and guest direct a couple episodes from the "All in the Family" story arc and reunite Tyler Mane and Bill Mosley as Jody and T.C.

Just a thought.

That'd be fucking hilarious!

Tyler Mane would have to play Jody though, cause jody is a bigger man than Mosely.
Chainsaw
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:58 pm  Reply with quote

Location: DON'T TOUCH MY BAGS IF YOU PLEASE. MR. CUSTOMS MAN!

I just wouldn't be all the way sold on Tyler Mane as Jody. He ain't got the cops. Jody ain't just a big guy, he's sadistic as fuck, something I don't think Mane has really shown yet. I do like Bill as T.C., but let's try this...Bill as Jody, and Clint Howard as T.C.

"Guaranteed adventures for every citizen should be in the Bill of Rights."-Sam Hell
The Buz
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:21 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Chainsaw wrote:
I just wouldn't be all the way sold on Tyler Mane as Jody. He ain't got the cops. Jody ain't just a big guy, he's sadistic as fuck, something I don't think Mane has really shown yet. I do like Bill as T.C., but let's try this...Bill as Jody, and Clint Howard as T.C.

I don't think Bill can pull off Jody. Clint Howard is a must though.

Jody has to be perfect casting. He is quite possibly one of the greatest and most frightening villians ever created. The guy who plays him has to be able to look at you and make you shit yourself.
EvilRex
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:54 pm  Reply with quote

Sirand wrote:
All I can say is...

Brace for controversy. The religious right is gonna go absolutely fucking apeshit.

That's why I am prepared to see a toned down and tamed version of Preacher (if it even really gets off the ground this time around). HBO might have really allowed the envelope to be pushed before when it comes to violence, vulgarity, sexuality and the idea of a show's protagonist being a dispicable human being (Soprano's, Oz, etc), but I am not sure they would be willing to take the risk and present a story that tells us God's basically a giant asshole who gave up on his job and that Jesus was somewhat of a con-artist who faked his death and fled to the hills and now his descendants are inbred, mutant buffoons. Preacher basically takes mainstream (Judeo-)Christianity (no matter what denomination) and turns it over on top of itself and proceeds to kick the shit out of it.

Ennis is an admitted atheist. Preacher isn't a deconstruction of modern day Christianity and a vehicle for the masses to reevaluate their faith. It's much crueler and spitful than that.

But again, as it has been mentioned before, all of that isn't REALLY what the story is about.
The Buz
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:55 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

EvilRex wrote:
Sirand wrote:
All I can say is...

That's why I am prepared to see a toned down and tamed version of Preacher (if it even really gets off the ground this time around). HBO might have really allowed the envelope to be pushed before when it comes to violence, vulgarity, sexuality and the idea of a show's protagonist being a dispicable human being (Soprano's, Oz, etc), but I am not sure they would be willing to take the risk and present a story that tells us God's basically a giant asshole who gave up on his job and that Jesus was somewhat of a con-artist who faked his death and fled to the hills and now his descendants are inbred, mutant buffoons. Preacher basically takes mainstream (Judeo-)Christianity (no matter what denomination) and turns it over on top of itself and proceeds to kick the shit out of it.

Ennis is an admitted atheist. Preacher isn't a deconstruction of modern day Christianity and a vehicle for the masses to reevaluate their faith. It's much crueler and spitful than that.

But again, as it has been mentioned before, all of that isn't REALLY what the story is about.

Though Preacher does indeed kick the shit out of organized religion, it gives alot of faith into us. Human Beings.

(thus who it's really about Wink )
Chainsaw
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:01 pm  Reply with quote

Location: DON'T TOUCH MY BAGS IF YOU PLEASE. MR. CUSTOMS MAN!

Atomic_Ilk wrote:
EvilRex wrote:
Sirand wrote:
All I can say is...

Though Preacher does indeed kick the shit out of organized religion, it gives alot of faith into us. Human Beings.

Indeed. If Ennis really wanted to be cruel and spiteful, everyone would be dead at the end, thus proving that God was a cruel bastard. But the fact is, 3 humans (or by the end, one human really) were able to stand against the perceived notion of fate and not only survive, but be better people for it.

That's my take, at least.

"Guaranteed adventures for every citizen should be in the Bill of Rights."-Sam Hell
The Buz
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:51 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Chainsaw wrote:
Atomic_Ilk wrote:
EvilRex wrote:
Sirand wrote:
All I can say is...

Indeed. If Ennis really wanted to be cruel and spiteful, everyone would be dead at the end, thus proving that God was a cruel bastard. But the fact is, 3 humans (or by the end, one human really) were able to stand against the perceived notion of fate and not only survive, but be better people for it.

That's my take, at least.

Yup. It's all about challenging who you are and righting the wrongs you've done, but only through yourself, not faith.

Not to mention probably one of the most kick ass love stories every written.
sonny gaunt
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:49 pm  Reply with quote

Maybe it's about practicing what you preach? Forgiveness of tresspasses and all that. It was all about the Irish.
The Buz
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:08 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

sonny gaunt wrote:
Maybe it's about practicing what you preach? Forgiveness of tresspasses and all that. It was all about the Irish.

The second part is definitely right. Wink
EvilRex
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:00 am  Reply with quote

You guys are all DEAD-ON!!!

But all you have written is exactly my point. I am not intending to put words in anybody's mouth here, but we're all expressing philosphies of Humanists. And Humanism-- as benelovent as it can be at times (and equally malevolent)-- is in stark contrast to organized religion.

My reference to Ennis's cruelty in his works is aimed at how it presents religion and destroys religion. The man is an admitted atheist.

I am hoping HBO doesn't tone down the religious themes in the televised version, but I am prepared they will because it is highly probable a shit storm of protests from the religious community will be at their door.
EvilRex
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:06 am  Reply with quote

As an allibi...

I can forgive HBO if they tame the relgious themes to a minor (possibly unoticeable) degree; however, as long they pay the strictest attention to detail in the casting , portrayal and development of the three key characters (Jesse, Tulip and Cassidy) and their relationships to one another becaue if they screw that up than they've screwed it all up.
Sirand
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:36 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

It's officially dead.
http://www.beyondhollywood.com/garth-ennis-preacher-tv-show-dead-at-hbo/