FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> Hard Boiled
Terminal
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:49 pm  Reply with quote

A buddy of my brother's wanted to read a review from me about it, so I checked out his copy of "Hard Boiled."

I had my worries, but I thought this Woo actioner was fan-fucking-tastic.

This is a classic action film starring Chow Yun Fat as Tequila a man determined to bring down the Triads. Now you may not think its nothing special, but the plot is much more complex than it sounds.

Not to mention Woo's patented action is here including amazing shoot outs, and gun battles that look like ballet.

There's also an amazing and utterly nerve wracking climax that takes place in a hospital.

This is very much recommented. I loved it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
thedudeabides
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:31 am  Reply with quote
Violent Misanthrope

Next to The Killer, this is possibly my favorite Woo.
Sirand
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:32 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

As far I'm concerned, there is only one reason to buy an X-Box 360...

SEQUEL, BABY!
Sonny
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:05 am  Reply with quote

Hard-Boiled just may be the greatest action movie in the entire history of movies. The Killer is good, but Hard-Boiled blows it through the friggin' wall. This was Woo at his peak.
The Reaper
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:45 am  Reply with quote

thedudeabides wrote:
Next to The Killer, this is possibly my favorite Woo.

I agree, it doesn't get any better than The Killer. Thumbs Up
Ultimo Franco
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:12 am  Reply with quote

I met Chow Yun Fat last night at the premiere of his new film CURSE OF THE GOLDEN FLOWER. Got to meet Gong Li, too.

Man, in person, those two truly carry themselves like CLASSIC movie stars. They literally looked BIGGER and more impressive than anyone else at the party. They were head-turners, that's fo sho.

The movie was just so so. It's the latest film from the director of HERO and HOUSE OF FLYING DAGGERS. This new one is somewhat smaller in scale, even though it does feature plenty of amazing battle scenes. It's an intimate epic. A family struggle played out on a battlefield. Beautiful to look at, amazingly well acted and directed... but the story didn't move me. Certainly not in the way that CROUCHING TIGER's did. It's about a fairly standard power-struggle between husband and wife. Sort of like THE WAR OF THE ROSES, with wire-fu.

Chow is astonishing. He plays one of his least likable characters, but is never less than riviting on screen. I admired this heartless villian. He never blinked. He never found himself without an answer. While I rooted for Gong Li's wife character to outsmart her evil husband, I still found myself impressed with the bad guy.

Gong Li looks great in extreme close-up, but I don't think this is one of her best performances. It's too stylized, too rehearsed. Chow really seemed like he became his evil warlord, but Gong Li always seemed to be acting.

Without the benifit of HERO's Jet Li to propell the story forward with his sheer cinematic charisma, CURSE OF THE GOLDEN FLOWER felt a bit too slow and simple. A tale possibly not worth telling. Still, make sure you see it on the big screen. Video will not do this film justice. Seeing it at the Cinerama Dome in Los Angeles, on one of the largest curved screens in the country, this was easily one of the most visually amazing experiences I've had at the movies in a loooooong time. It was like 3D without glasses. The colors in this film are some of the most incredible you will ever see in a theater.
Bone Daddy
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:27 am  Reply with quote

I've seen Hardboiled quite a few times-I should just buy the frickin' DVD already!

Outstanding action sequences that are ballet for the action set. Chow Yun-Fat is superb.

Kaisersoze
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:09 am  Reply with quote

More Hard Boiled love here. The Killer was also great, but Hard Boiled was that small step up. Perhaps not in terms of story-line, but more so in terms of action scenes.