FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Terror Tube -> The 'Buffy' and 'Angel' Thread
Kaisersoze
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:35 am  Reply with quote

It was the final character death in Angel that got me. I don't think I'll ever look at Joss Whedon the same way again.
belle morte
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:28 pm  Reply with quote

The worst for me was Fred's death. Hello heartwrenching! Wesley's was pretty damned sad too.

I think what shocked me the most was Lorne taking out Lindsey. I just didn't even see that coming.
thedudeabides
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:59 pm  Reply with quote
Violent Misanthrope

Just like Starblazers: Farewell Spaceship Yamamoto.
belle morte
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:28 pm  Reply with quote

thedudeabides wrote:
Just like Starblazers: Farewell Spaceship Yamamoto.

I might kick you. Right in the shin.
Limpfreak
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:43 pm  Reply with quote

Just wanted to let you Buffy and Angel fans out there some news.

I think it's temporary but right now at Amazon.com you can get Angel seasons 2-5 for only $20 each season.

Also they got Buffy seasons 1-7 for also $20 each season.

I suggest you get these while you can in case Amazon.com raises the prices.

http://www.dvdspot.com/list.php?member=Limpfreak&list=owned
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
The Reaper
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:54 pm  Reply with quote

Yeah, those are the new Angel thinpacks at 50% off. I keep trying to hold out for the big box, ala Buffy, but it's getting hard. If I can ever get them for about $15 each ($75 for the whole series), then I'll probably just go ahead and cave.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:53 pm  Reply with quote

A friend of mine has finally started watching Buffy after YEARS of me preaching the show's greatness so it inspired me to go back and rewatch it...

It amazes me that this show still works so amazingly well after all these years. A testament to great writing and acting. I know Gellar has her non-fans but that girl is one hell of a talent. She went through nearly every gamut of acting challenges and pulled them all off. (Ok, except the cave man thing because that was just doomed for failure).

A lot of people complain about Buffy during season 6 and 7 and in comparison with seasons 2-5, yes, they are inferior, but it's all still great TV and you have some the best acting on TV yet.

Everyone has at least one great moment on that show in each season, and some, like James Marsters, Gellar and Hannigan have more.

No other show has the replay value that Buffy does for me and that's something. Firefly comes close but unfortunately that show was killed LONG before it's time. I really hope Dollhouse continues Whedon's magic run of awesome work.
The Buz
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:54 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

I couldn't fucking believe why people watched this stupid show about some teenage half wit who killed vampires. It was on the fucking WB! What a stupid idea. I swore I would never watch the show, it just looked dumb and irritating.

Then I watched an episode. And another, and another, and another.

My god, I have never been so happy to be completely, and totally wrong. Buffy the Vampire Slayer is easily one of the greatest television shows to ever grace the small screen.

I finally just finished Season 5 of Angel, and finished Buffy a week ago. My god I am so terribly sad it's over.

I'll say this though, I had a ton of people tell me that Angel's finale was better than Buffy's but I gotta disagree, I thought Buffy's finale was much much better and provided a bit of closure for me. While as Angel, which I fucking love and actually think is better than Buffy towards the last few seasons, just left too much open made me regrettably depressed. Don't get me wrong, I loved the episode, and cried like a bitch when Wesley passed away, but I just didn't feel like it was a solid enough ending. It truly ended way to soon. Where as Buffy's ending felt solid and there was certainly closure the series as a whole, not just that season.

By the way, Spike at the poetry slam was one of the greatest scenes I've ever seen of any show. That was fucking brilliant.

So many amazing episodes and amazing characters. And I feel like I just got let it on this great big secret and now I need to spread it around the world.

Favorite Characters of Both Shows
1. Spike
2. Wesley
3. Xander
4. Fred
5. Anya

Favorite Episodes
1. Restless from Buffy Season 4
2. Once More with Feeling Season 6 Buffy
3. Smile Time Season 5 of Angel
4. Soulless Season 4 of Angel
5. Hush Season 3 of Buffy

My god I love these shows.
Rottenjesus
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:10 am  Reply with quote

I miss these shows quite a bit. Supernatural fills the void somewhat but it's not the same. Sad
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Morgan Elektra
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:06 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

The Buz wrote:
I couldn't fucking believe why people watched this stupid show about some teenage half wit who killed vampires. It was on the fucking WB! What a stupid idea. I swore I would never watch the show, it just looked dumb and irritating.

My god, I have never been so happy to be completely, and totally wrong. Buffy the Vampire Slayer is easily one of the greatest television shows to ever grace the small screen.

I finally just finished Season 5 of Angel, and finished Buffy a week ago. My god I am so terribly sad it's over.

I'll say this though, I had a ton of people tell me that Angel's finale was better than Buffy's but I gotta disagree, I thought Buffy's finale was much much better and provided a bit of closure for me. While as Angel, which I fucking love and actually think is better than Buffy towards the last few seasons, just left too much open made me regrettably depressed. Don't get me wrong, I loved the episode, and cried like a bitch when Wesley passed away, but I just didn't feel like it was a solid enough ending. It truly ended way to soon. Where as Buffy's ending felt solid and there was certainly closure the series as a whole, not just that season.

By the way, Spike at the poetry slam was one of the greatest scenes I've ever seen of any show. That was fucking brilliant.

So many amazing episodes and amazing characters. And I feel like I just got let it on this great big secret and now I need to spread it around the world.

Favorite Characters of Both Shows
1. Spike
2. Wesley
3. Xander
4. Fred
5. Anya

Favorite Episodes
1. Restless from Buffy Season 4
2. Once More with Feeling Season 6 Buffy
3. Smile Time Season 5 of Angel
4. Soulless Season 4 of Angel
5. Hush Season 3 of Buffy

My god I love these shows.

Welcome to the fold! Laughing One of the things I love most about Buffy and Angel is how well they hold up on rewatch. I still tear up during Anya's speech in The Body, and A Hole in the World can still make me outright bawl. I'm rewatching season 1 of Buffy as we speak.

"Death, without dread of death, is welcome death." - Seneca
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:15 am  Reply with quote

Season 4 of Angel is pretty terrible...None of it really worked for me on second viewing...I cared more about Wesley and Fred's subplots than I did the whole arc...Cordy as the villain was a neat twist at first but upon second viewing, it's really bad...

Season 5 was my least favourite upon first viewing but upon second, it's easily my second favourite, 2 being the first...THe last 5 episodes are fantastic.
Dr. Mirakle
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:45 pm  Reply with quote

The Buz wrote:

My sentiments exactly. I never thought this show could possibly be worth watching, until I actually caught a couple of episodes. Having seen the movie first, my thoughts were "They based a series on that? I'm not gonna waste an hour on it." Then one day I happened to catch an episode and was pleasantly surprised that its tone was so different from the movie's. (A demon killing hospitalized children? That never would have flown in their version.)

I'm not sure I could narrow it down to a top 5 episodes, but can say that Hush is among the finest hours of television ever aired.
Dr. Mirakle
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:53 pm  Reply with quote

Didn't See It Coming wrote:
Season 4 of Angel is pretty terrible...None of it really worked for me on second viewing...I cared more about Wesley and Fred's subplots than I did the whole arc...Cordy as the villain was a neat twist at first but upon second viewing, it's really bad...

Season 5 was my least favourite upon first viewing but upon second, it's easily my second favourite, 2 being the first...THe last 5 episodes are fantastic.

I'm kind of with you about season 4. The first half of the season is passable, with a couple of good episodes. I felt the concluding episodes were a letdown, with a villain recycled from past shows (Hint: If you've seen many episodes of Star Trek: TOS...).
Morgan Elektra
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:59 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

I definitely think that season 4 of Angel was the weakest... it felt so disconnected and all over the place. It's The Beast! No, it's Connor! No, it's Cordy! No, it's CONNOR AND CORDY'S BABY (dun-dun-dun)!!

But really, therein lies the strength of the show (both really, Buffy has some weak seasons too)... is that during even a season that weak, I can find a lot to like too, and still enjoy rewatching it.

"Death, without dread of death, is welcome death." - Seneca
The Buz
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:15 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Season 4 gets a pass for having some of the best fucking episodes of the entire show with Angelus locked in the cage. That was some of the most intense television I've ever seen.