A Darker Shop of Horrors?

default-featured-image

Little Shop of Horrors being remadeTalk about amazing timing. Just last night I watched the new Rifftrax DVD of Roger Corman’s original Little Shop of Horrors (not a bad effort, but I couldn’t help but think it’s a little hard to do funny commentary for a film meant to be funny). Now today I read the film is being remade again, but this time as a straight-up serious horror flick. Seriously. I mean, seriously?

So the film that began life as a 1960 black comedy and was later retooled into a 1980’s musical is about to get a 21st Century makeover as a “dark” horror film? It would seem so. The man looking to put the horror back in Little Shop of Horrors is writer/director Declan O’Brien (Wrong Turn 3, Rock Monster). O’Brien revealed to Bloody Disgusting that he has optioned the rights to Little Shop of Horrors from Roger Corman and is currently in the process of trying to set it up at a major studio. O’Brien’s last directing gig prior to Wrong Turn 3 was the Sci-Fi Channel original Cyclops, which was produced by Corman, so it’s easy to ascertain how he got the legendary filmmaker’s blessing. Paying him probably helped too.

O’Brien doesn’t go into any details about what to expect from his Shop at this time other than to say “it’ll be dark”. I don’t know how dark you can make a horror film that features a talking plant that says things like “Feed me, Seymour!” unless maybe this time around it yells stuff like “Feed me now, motherfucker!” I’m sure we’ll find out in the near future. It’s going to have to be a hell of an idea to make this fly.

Maybe next I’ll option the rights to Corman’s Creature from the Haunted Sea to make into a gory monster slasher flick. Because if there’s one thing I’m sure of it’s that a serious horror flick about a six-foot, googily-eyed, seaweed-encrusted, aquatic Cookie Monster with Freddy Krueger fingers is exactly what the world is clamoring for right now.

[FYI: That pic of what looks like a toy version of the Little Shop of Horrors plant is an actual battery-operated product on the market designed to lure in and catching flies.]

The Foywonder

VISIT THE EVILSHOP @ AMAZON!
Got news? Click here to submit it!
Hang out with mean green mothers from outer space in the Dread Central forums!

Image Type 1:

Share: 
Tags:

Categorized:Uncategorized