Wild Man of the Navidad Stalks IFC

default-featured-image

Wild Man of the Navidad (click to see it bigger)It was in October of ’07 that I became one of the first to get a look at a new based-on-actual-events Bigfoot-esque flick “>The Wild Man of the Navidad (review) from one of the producers of the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre. If you get IFC Festival Direct, starting next week you’ll get a chance to see it too.

Quoting IFC’s website for a plot synopsis (I’m lazy. Sue me!):

“The Wild Man of the Navidad is an unsettling brew of dark comedy, suspense and terror, adapted from real-life journals kept in the early 1970’s by Dale S. Rogers while living in Sublime – a town in a sparsely populated part of Texas about 100 miles north of where the movie was lensed. Mr. Rogers lived with his invalid wife, Jean, and hired hand, Mario, in a quaint ranch house on a plantation that can be traced back through at least five generations of his family. It was in this region, in the mid 1800’s, that the legend of the wild man was born – a story many believe to be the first documented sightings of a Sasquatch-like being in South Texas. This vintage horror tale debunks history books to tell the veracious, harrowing story of a rural community whose residents were terrified for years by a mysterious creature inhabiting the nearby woods.”

If you like slow burn backwoods beast flicks like The Legend of Boggy Creek and Creature from Black Lake then you’re going to enjoy this creepy Southern fried creature feature with a slasher movie twist. It’s not a perfect film, but co-director Duane Graves has told me that they’ve gone back and made a couple edits and reshot a few scenes to better the film since I wrote my initial three-out-of-five review back in late 2007. I know I’m curious to see if the film plays even better now.

Graves dropped me a line the other night asking to help get the word out that The Wild Man of the Navidad is premiering on IFC Festival Direct On Demand (available on most major cable outlets in America … I don’t think I get it where I live, though) starting February 11th. He tells me a Blockbuster exclusive DVD release is set for later in the year.

A really cool new trailer that captures the 1970’s grindhouse flavor of the film was found on IFC’s website. Give it a look!

The Foywonder

“>CHECK OUT DREAD CENTRAL’S NEW POSTER STORE!
Got news? Click here to submit it!
Find some wild things in the Dread Central forums!

Share: 
Tags:

Categorized:Uncategorized